MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 06:26:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Make Me Taller! This is a free service to support those interested in or considering Leg Lengthening, and all are welcome to join! Just click on the register button and you will be approved ASAP. Remember to bookmark http://www.makemetaller.org now!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GrowthSpurt - Dr. Mahboubian - Internal Femurs - 2015 - My Turn For Growth!  (Read 61009 times)
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 05:13:08 AM »

Thank you for your great detailed diary. Do you need to get any tendon release for going to 8CM?
Yes, I did (iliotibial band leading off the tensor fascia latae)
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 09:08:56 AM »

Yes, I did (iliotibial band leading off the tensor fascia latae)

Thx for the detailed response. you doing good, good to hear. I think one should avoid standing up altogether for the fear of breaking nail.
Rainy
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 09:39:22 AM »

Thx for the detailed response. you doing good, good to hear. I think one should avoid standing up altogether for the fear of breaking nail.

I don't think that's a good idea. You need to stand some. The nails don't bend that easily.
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 11:37:21 PM »

I don't think that's a good idea. You need to stand some. The nails don't bend that easily.
Yeah, I think they're pretty tough. Bearing some weight helps with bone healing too and keeps the quads from going completely to mush. I confess I did have a scare this morning, though. Had a slight loss of balance backward while moving forward with the walker. My quadriceps instinctively contracted but I could not help moving back a step on the right leg. I think I put quite a bit of weight on it. Yikes. That kind of thing gets you worried!
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 11:40:53 PM »

The instruction from the doc continues to be: you can stand, weight evenly distributed on both legs. When you move forward, you grab on to your walker to transfer much of your weight to the upper body. I measured on the scale and looks like I take about a max of 55-60 lb of weight off with full pressure on the walker
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2015, 12:15:28 AM »

PART THREE
Because I didn't write my diary from the beginning, I'm playing catchup. The week post-op I went to the ortho office for the first follow-up, when the PA removed my sutures. All the incisions were in great shape. I still had a lot of edema then because I hadn't used the diuretic by then, but it didn't overly concern Dr. M. There was decidedly no compartment syndrome. After that, the Ellipse Technologies rep came in to coach me on the use of the External Remote Controller (ERC) and locate the optimal position of the magnet embedded in the Precice nail, which of course interacts with the ERC. Funnily enough, as high-tech as this thing is, you use a relatively low-tech method to locate the best magnet position using a simple compass. It took us around 5 minutes to locate the positions on both legs.

I won't spend much time talking about the distractions in the first 2 weeks. I did the standard 0.33 mm three times day both sides and didn't experience any discomfort. I'll jump forward to the 2nd post-op visit when the x-rays were to be taken. Two views, anterior-posterior, and obliques were taken, then it was off to the consultation room where Dr. M came in and took a look at the images. Everything looked good--straight, no bends (yay!)

This is the right side.

This is the left

You might notice that the left has more callus formation. Because of that, Dr. M recommended I do 4 treatments a day on the left, that is 1.32 mm a day, and the usual 0.99 on the right. On the whole, though, he was very happy with the results.

I continue to take vitamin D3 and calcium, as well as a preparation Dr. Paley recommends in addition for bone support, containing boron, silicon, arginine and inositol.

With the 4th treatment on the left side, I definitely felt the pulling during the distraction, and it left my left thigh very sore. On one occasion it was a series of sharp, jolting pains in addition to the throbbing--quite severe. 

I also started home PT the first week home. Carmen, the PT, is very good and has been concentrating on both stretching and strengthening. Sometimes PT makes me feel better, other times it wipes me out completely and I simply have to get in an hour or two of sleep. I am working on bringing down the Norco to 2 a day and then one. Sometimes I'm grateful for it, other times I'm so tired of the drowsiness it causes. I do some PT at 0530 in the morning before getting out of bed to do the first distraction at 6 AM. This really helps to loosen me up. Then I do some sit-ups if it's not too uncomfortable, followed by some dips on the walker to keep my triceps strong.

Next week is my last home PT, and I'm also starting PT at Dr. M's office. The insurance won't cover it, but seriously, after I've spent this amount of money for the surgery, it doesn't make any sense to skimp on the PT, does it?

I think I'm basically caught up, so now I can do a daily or every other day diary. I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.
Rainy
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2015, 01:04:33 AM »

Next week is my last home PT, and I'm also starting PT at Dr. M's office. The insurance won't cover it, but seriously, after I've spent this amount of money for the surgery, it doesn't make any sense to skimp on the PT, does it?

Really? Dr M has PT in his office now? How often?
Rainy
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2015, 01:10:46 AM »

I continue to take vitamin D3 and calcium, as well as a preparation Dr. Paley recommends in addition for bone support, containing boron, silicon, arginine and inositol.

Good recommendations. Did Dr M prescribe a specific brand that contains all that, or do you take them separately?
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2015, 01:49:21 AM »

Good recommendations. Did Dr M prescribe a specific brand that contains all that, or do you take them separately?
No I ordered it separately off Paley's recommendations. Couldn't hurt.
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2015, 01:50:59 AM »

Really? Dr M has PT in his office now? How often?
Apparently so. I'll be going Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.
gtbnj
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 07:25:52 PM »

If you don't mind, GrowthSpurt, how much did the procedure cost overall (nail, hospital, pt, etc. )? I'm seriously considering having Dr.  M do my femurs this summer.
Rainy
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 11:09:58 PM »

Apparently so. I'll be going Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.

That's cool! Dr M is getting serious about his LL program.
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 11:13:09 PM »

If you don't mind, GrowthSpurt, how much did the procedure cost overall (nail, hospital, pt, etc. )? I'm seriously considering having Dr.  M do my femurs this summer.
gtbnj, I don't really like to get into the details of the cost, but I think it's been discussed elsewhere. SysOp might be able to give you some idea
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2015, 11:17:23 PM »

Been resting in bed all day today Saturday, nursing a sore right groin. As I mentioned before I had a misstep on the walker and lost my balance for a second, coming down hard on my right side. I'm praying it's just a sprain, but if it's still bad tomorrow I'll call into Dr. M's exchange to talk to him and see if he wants me to go in for an x-ray on Monday.
Rainy
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2015, 11:21:45 PM »

Been resting in bed all day today Saturday, nursing a sore right groin. As I mentioned before I had a misstep on the walker and lost my balance for a second, coming down hard on my right side. I'm praying it's just a sprain, but if it's still bad tomorrow I'll call into Dr. M's exchange to talk to him and see if he wants me to go in for an x-ray on Monday.

Missteps more than likely don't warrant X-rays. Pain and scares are common.
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 12:30:31 AM »

Missteps more than likely don't warrant X-rays. Pain and scares are common.
Really, Rainy? Damn, I came down pretty hard!
Rainy
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »

Really, Rainy? Damn, I came down pretty hard!

I'm sure you'll find out everything is fine  Smiley
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 07:11:07 PM »

Hey GrowthSpurt,  welcome to the Dr. M LL club.  I'm enjoying your blog.  I hope your injury materializes to nothing. That's great that Dr M has PT now, that was one thing he was missing.     
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 12:38:41 AM »

I'm sure you'll find out everything is fine  Smiley
Thanks for the reassurance Rainy. Think you're probably right; feels pretty much back to the "normal pains" today. Funny when you start to define pain as the "normal" pain, hahaha. God willing, I think I might have just proven that the Precice is tough as, well, uh, nails. Sorry, that was bad.
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 02:29:39 AM »

Hey GrowthSpurt,  welcome to the Dr. M LL club.  I'm enjoying your blog.  I hope your injury materializes to nothing. That's great that Dr M has PT now, that was one thing he was missing.     
So is that within the last year that he has instituted the PT?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.