MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 06:28:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SysOp is not here to make friends - he is here to keep this forum running smoothly and make sure that it stays the most informative site about LL in the world.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GrowthSpurt - Dr. Mahboubian - Internal Femurs - 2015 - My Turn For Growth!  (Read 61010 times)
siguy745
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2015, 03:48:25 PM »

Great info.  I learnt online that there's a device used for the distraction phase for internal methods whereby you don't have to click anymore.  The device uses magnets to do the distraction and that's a lot less painful.  Anybody heard of this?

It's been out for a while.  It's called Precise.  I am using Precise 2 now and it's very very easy and convenient to use.  Only down side is the weight bearing limit.  But it really is precise and exact. 
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2015, 04:10:22 PM »

It's been out for a while.  It's called Precise.  I am using Precise 2 now and it's very very easy and convenient to use.  Only down side is the weight bearing limit.  But it really is precise and exact. 

precisely ....
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #242 on: April 26, 2015, 01:20:24 AM »

Great info.  I learnt online that there's a device used for the distraction phase for internal methods whereby you don't have to click anymore.  The device uses magnets to do the distraction and that's a lot less painful.  Anybody heard of this?
Yes, Google Precice-2 nail and read all about it
Hamoodi
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #243 on: April 26, 2015, 03:06:05 AM »

Yes, Google Precice-2 nail and read all about it

How are you doing GrowthSpurt?
How is the neuropathic pain? Are back to work?
Best wishes

Hamoodi
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #244 on: May 01, 2015, 07:36:49 PM »

How are you doing GrowthSpurt?
How is the neuropathic pain? Are back to work?
Best wishes

Hamoodi
Hey, sorry--been away a little while but yeah today I was at Dr. M's and the new bone growth is looking excellent. In fact Dr. M almost said I could throw the walker away, so to speak, but then decided I should use it another 2 weeks to steady me as I walk. I now have to untrain my brain from trying to protect my legs from weight. That's what produces that funny "waddling gait."

The neuropathy is waaay better after seeing the neurologist and him jacking up the gabapentin dose to 1800 mg/day with no real bad side effects, and added to that, alpha lipoid acid, which seems to be good for nerve health (I would highly recommend it) and vitamin B complex.

And I will be back at work Monday May 4th! Can't live on disability forever!

I don't want other people contemplating LL to be scared away by the complications I had. I was the exception to the rule, and I'm much older than the average LL patient on here (in my 50's) so naturally I'm a little bit more prone to things happening. Now, the weirdest, weirdest thing is that I would actually consider lengthening some more when before I swore never again! Is that crazy or what? Like I said to Dr. M today, well...the rods are gonna be in for awhile, right?  He just laughed. I don't think he would touch me with a 10-foot scalpel at this point!
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #245 on: May 01, 2015, 07:56:55 PM »

Regarding PT, at first I was skeptical, but seriously I think a good PT can make a world of difference. Sure, you can stretch at home, but you can't stretch the way a good PT can stretch you. I remember sometimes doing the home stretching, I would stop at a point short of what my PT, Patrick Faucette, would. You can't slack off when Patrick is standing there! Then there's the bike--without Patrick standing by to steady me as I got on and to adjust the seat height etc, I would never have been able to do the bike on my own. Patrick was also able to give me feedback: for instance, he would tell me how many degrees of flexion I had at my knees compared to the previous week, and it was so encouraging to see myself getting better and better and that all this painful stretching was not in vain. Another thing I would never have expected was that the other patients getting PT in the gym got to be friends and talking about our different injuries and how we were feeling provided company and was kind of therapeutic.

So if you CAN get professional PT at least twice a week, I recommend it. One of the reasons Dr. M was so pleased today was because my legs can go full extension at the knee (straight out) with good quad strength, and my flexion is around 120 degrees. I could also do squats using the walker as support. I walked a few paces without the walker and it felt pretty good.
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #246 on: May 01, 2015, 08:54:02 PM »

Hey, sorry--been away a little while but yeah today I was at Dr. M's and the new bone growth is looking excellent. In fact Dr. M almost said I could throw the walker away, so to speak, but then decided I should use it another 2 weeks to steady me as I walk. I now have to untrain my brain from trying to protect my legs from weight. That's what produces that funny "waddling gait."

The neuropathy is waaay better after seeing the neurologist and him jacking up the gabapentin dose to 1800 mg/day with no real bad side effects, and added to that, alpha lipoid acid, which seems to be good for nerve health (I would highly recommend it) and vitamin B complex.

I don't want other people contemplating LL to be scared away by the complications I had. I was the exception to the rule, and I'm much older than the average LL patient on here (in my 50's) so naturally I'm a little bit more prone to things happening. Now, the weirdest, weirdest thing is that I would actually consider lengthening some more when before I swore never again! Is that crazy or what? Like I said to Dr. M today, well...the rods are gonna be in for awhile, right?  He just laughed. I don't think he would touch me with a 10-foot scalpel at this point!

Nothing strange GrowthSpurt - please go for it , do more. You have this chance make use of it. Keep us posted.

Also what type of physical condition where you in pre LL. You trained hard 5 days a week - type of guy or ones a while or barely. ?

lastly , what is the average PT session time, 1 - 2 hrs ?
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #247 on: May 01, 2015, 10:03:23 PM »

Nothing strange GrowthSpurt - please go for it , do more. You have this chance make use of it. Keep us posted.

Also what type of physical condition where you in pre LL. You trained hard 5 days a week - type of guy or ones a while or barely. ?

Uhh...wait, are you saying try more LL? Lol, man you guys are hardcore, haha. Well, it would be some time before I'd consider it, and like I said, I don't know that Dr. M would be all that gung-ho because I'd then be a more high-risk patient, which scares the cra* out of doctors.

I was in quite good physical condition before surgery--4 times a week working out. Not a beast, by any means, but decent. My PT is usually 1.5 hours I'd say--the last part is icing my legs down so subtract about 15 minutes.
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #248 on: May 01, 2015, 10:06:01 PM »

And favorite part of the body to work out was legs!--which a lot of guys hate.
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »

Hey, guys, I'm back. I stayed away for awhile because I didn't want to come online bitching and complaining about my nerve pain issues and such. I'm happy to say it's resolving (with a little help from acupuncture and Lyrica) and I'm expecting a full recovery. I'm about 75% of the way. Despite my issues, the surgery was still worth it. I'm back at work and people who used to be at eye level now look up to me, and those who are taller don't seem as tall as they seemed before. I squeezed in 2.5 inches (it's actually 2.4 but I rounded it to the nearest half inch haha) and it feels great. I have more confidence and feel happier, laughing all the time.

My gait is still a little side-to-side, my PT saying it might be weakness of the lateral glutes. I'll back to the gym this weekend yayyy! I'll be doing light squats to start, but my upper body needs some attention as well. BTW my butt is coming back fast, filling out my pants! Brand new wardrobe too, because none of my pants fit anymore, and now I'm buying slim fit pants and jeans because the relative greater length of my legs looks good with that style. Also slim fitted shirts to match. So it's all good!
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2015, 04:59:22 PM »

P.S. X-rays showing excellent progress filling in the gap
femurs2014
Femurs w/ Precise II - Dr. M - March 2014
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 11

« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2015, 05:09:36 PM »

Hey, guys, I'm back. I stayed away for awhile because I didn't want to come online bitching and complaining about my nerve pain issues and such. I'm happy to say it's resolving (with a little help from acupuncture and Lyrica) and I'm expecting a full recovery. I'm about 75% of the way. Despite my issues, the surgery was still worth it. I'm back at work and people who used to be at eye level now look up to me, and those who are taller don't seem as tall as they seemed before. I squeezed in 2.5 inches (it's actually 2.4 but I rounded it to the nearest half inch haha) and it feels great. I have more confidence and feel happier, laughing all the time.

My gait is still a little side-to-side, my PT saying it might be weakness of the lateral glutes. I'll back to the gym this weekend yayyy! I'll be doing light squats to start, but my upper body needs some attention as well. BTW my butt is coming back fast, filling out my pants! Brand new wardrobe too, because none of my pants fit anymore, and now I'm buying slim fit pants and jeans because the relative greater length of my legs looks good with that style. Also slim fitted shirts to match. So it's all good!

Great job buddy!  Another Success - LL - I know exactly how u feel.  Great news!

Starting 170.8
Goal 178.8
Completed 179.1
OP - MARCH 6TH 2014
ROD REMOVAL & STEM CELL KNEE INJECTIONS - JUNE 4th 2015
Dr. Mahboubian Journals
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #252 on: June 06, 2015, 02:40:55 AM »

Great job buddy!  Another Success - LL - I know exactly how u feel.  Great news!
Thanks!
BelowTheMean
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #253 on: July 04, 2015, 02:00:30 AM »

Wow, in your 50s? That's amazing.. well glad you did it and you're on the way back to working already!
wangchaoan
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #254 on: July 05, 2015, 09:35:23 AM »

Hello buddy! congratulations on the good results! Could you tell us what's your armspans? And could you show us some pictures of your current proportions? Thanks! Wink Wink Wink
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #255 on: July 09, 2015, 06:36:16 PM »

Just checking to give an update. My gait is about 90% back to normal from the "waddle." I'm in the gym 4 times a week training hard. My squats are still pretty miserable--only about a third squat. I'm still limited by stiff hips, but it's getting better. I can now do the cross-trainer for about 10 minutes, and I'll slowly increase that. The peripheral neuropathy is under control with Lyrica--that stuff is marvelous, but I'm trying to taper it off over about 3 months and hopefully I won't need it again.

Enjoying my new height tremendously. Even small things like I can rack the squat barbell on the higher rung gives me pleasure. Friends who were my height before are now shorter.

Next follow-up with Dr. M is in a couple weeks. By now I should be consolidating well.
pizymisa
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2015, 03:05:35 AM »

I just had my consultation with Dr.  mahboubian,
He seems to be a great doctor, and a nice caring person too.
Good luck with everything
pizymisa
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2015, 03:13:14 AM »

Quote from: GrowthSpurt link=topic=7802. msg103151#msg103151 date=1423870641
Yeah, I think they're pretty tough.  Bearing some weight helps with bone healing too and keeps the quads from going completely to mush.  I confess I did have a scare this morning, though.  Had a slight loss of balance backward while moving forward with the walker.  My quadriceps instinctively contracted but I could not help moving back a step on the right leg.  I think I put quite a bit of weight on it.  Yikes.  That kind of thing gets you worried!

Dr. M said each nail can hold 50lbs, but they are usually ok with 75 lbs each.
That's not a lot. . . the low weight limit might be difficult for men
GrowthSpurt
MMT Member

Credibility 8

« Reply #258 on: August 29, 2015, 08:35:19 PM »

Dr. M said each nail can hold 50lbs, but they are usually ok with 75 lbs each.
That's not a lot. . . the low weight limit might be difficult for men
My impression after living with these nails for about 8 months is that, all so-called weight limits aside, these things are sturdy as hell and can take quite a licking.
Afonso
MMT Member

Credibility 9

« Reply #259 on: April 04, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »

Hey Growth Spurt hope you're doing well.  Did you ever get your nails removed If yes how bad was the scaring and could you walk right after as advertised?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.