MMT Community
February 22, 2019, 10:30:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Make Me Taller! This is a free service to support those interested in or considering Leg Lengthening, and all are welcome to join! Just click on the register button and you will be approved ASAP. Remember to bookmark http://www.makemetaller.org now!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Doctor Should I Pick? Do I have time to lengthen?  (Read 40910 times)
gtbnj
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« on: February 16, 2015, 10:18:32 PM »

I'm a college student (guy) and I'm seriously considering doing internal femur lengthening doing my summer break.  The current semester ends May 9th and the following semester begins August 27th, which gives me around 110 days in the interim.  As of right now, taking time off from school isn't an option (though missing the first week or so of the Fall 2015 semester wouldn't be the end of the world).  I've noticed a lot of the posters here wait until after college to do their LL, but I'm only 162cm (slightly under 5'4"), and my neurosis about my short stature is ruining my experience.  Ideally, I would lengthen about 6-7cm (making me 5'6"-5'6. 5", which I would supplement with lifts/elevator shoes).  I would still be short, of course, but at a height I'm not embarrassed to say out loud.  Money isn't an issue, but I seriously doubt my parents are willing to pay $100k for this.  I suppose I could return to school in the fall in crutches/with limited mobility, but coming back in a wheelchair is out of the question. 

I've been doing research, and there a few doctors that I'm considering (but feel free to suggest any): Dr.  Guichet, Dr.  Betz, Dr.  Mahbourbian, and Dr.  Shah (India).  I emailed both Guichet and Mahbourbian last week, but neither responded. . . 

So anyway, I would really like some tips on which doctor to choose and how to make this work.  Be honest if you feel this couldn't work in the given timeframe.
siguy745
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 01:40:31 AM »

I'm a college student (guy) and I'm seriously considering doing internal femur lengthening doing my summer break.  The current semester ends May 9th and the following semester begins August 27th, which gives me around 110 days in the interim.  As of right now, taking time off from school isn't an option (though missing the first week or so of the Fall 2015 semester wouldn't be the end of the world).  I've noticed a lot of the posters here wait until after college to do their LL, but I'm only 162cm (slightly under 5'4"), and my neurosis about my short stature is ruining my experience.  Ideally, I would lengthen about 6-7cm (making me 5'6"-5'6. 5", which I would supplement with lifts/elevator shoes).  I would still be short, of course, but at a height I'm not embarrassed to say out loud.  Money isn't an issue, but I seriously doubt my parents are willing to pay $100k for this.  I suppose I could return to school in the fall in crutches/with limited mobility, but coming back in a wheelchair is out of the question.  

I've been doing research, and there a few doctors that I'm considering (but feel free to suggest any): Dr.  Guichet, Dr.  Betz, Dr.  Mahbourbian, and Dr.  Shah (India).  I emailed both Guichet and Mahbourbian last week, but neither responded. . .  

Hello,
Where r u located?
Why not Dr. Paley(FL) or Dr. Rozbaruch(NY)?
Paley is experienced but I'm not too keen on his no limitation on height requirement.  Dr. Rozbaruch tend to be more conservative (no more than 3 inches) and he may have a height requirement (he may approve females under 5 feet and males under 5 feet and 5 inches I think).
They are both expensive.  
Rainy
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 04:36:53 AM »

I've been doing research, and there a few doctors that I'm considering (but feel free to suggest any): Dr.  Guichet, Dr.  Betz, Dr.  Mahbourbian, and Dr.  Shah (India).  I emailed both Guichet and Mahbourbian last week, but neither responded. . . 

So anyway, I would really like some tips on which doctor to choose and how to make this work.  Be honest if you feel this couldn't work in the given timeframe.

Read detailed diaries of the doctors and see which one makes you more comfortable.

I've never heard of Dr Shah but as far as I know Indian doctors are not legally qualified to do internals. If you don't have to go to idea for the cheapest LL then obviously don't go there.

From the cheap to most expensive this is the order I think:

India<Mahboubian<Betz<Paley<Guichet<Rozbruch

If you want less time and stress spent for planning, stay close to your native home

gtbnj
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 05:05:22 AM »

I live in New Jersey.  Dr.  Rozbaruch's office in the city is very close to my house, but I'm not sure if my parents are willing to pay that much for this.  I could always take out a medical loan or something, though. 

Dr.  Shah studied under Dr.  Paley and is certified to use the PRECICE nail, but I'm not sure if I want to go to India to do this surgery.  The Guichet Nail sounds the safest and seems like it has the fastest recovery time, so I'll email him again in a few days.  I'll probably also email Dr.  Betz, as well.
Rainy
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 05:21:30 AM »

I live in New Jersey.  Dr.  Rozbaruch's office in the city is very close to my house, but I'm not sure if my parents are willing to pay that much for this.  I could always take out a medical loan or something, though. 

Dr.  Shah studied under Dr.  Paley and is certified to use the PRECICE nail, but I'm not sure if I want to go to India to do this surgery.  The Guichet Nail sounds the safest and seems like it has the fastest recovery time, so I'll email him again in a few days.  I'll probably also email Dr.  Betz, as well.

Yeah Rozbaruch's costs are too high. Mahboubian's cost is the lowest in US if you can go to CA.

Guichet nail does not make you recover faster. You shouldn't lengthen faster than 1mm a day. You should expect to go back to school with crutches and limping for part of your recovery after 3 months.
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 06:27:35 AM »

The problem with trying to rush lengthening into such a small window during your school break is that then you have no room for complications, which are a real possibility with any doctor you choose.
prince2
MMT Contributor

Credibility 37

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 07:59:05 AM »

The problem with trying to rush lengthening into such a small window during your school break is that then you have no room for complications, which are a real possibility with any doctor you choose.

Hi Sysop, that it the problem with some new guys here. They come to the site, think "this is really possible?" and then think "ok, so lenthening can be done in 2-3 months. I have a summer break and I will do LL then." Then they post here to ask what people think of it. Every month there is at least one guy with such a post. The problem is that it is not like learning a new language or learning how to play chess. It is a decision for your whole life!!! You get your legs broken and people are like "Can I go back to school/work in 3 months???". Correct me if I am wrong sysop but do these people really understand what they are talking about? And I never saw a diary with someone actually doing it that way.

Sleep deprivation, pain, infection, nail breaking, depression, limited mobility and many other issues could be part of it. Guys take at least one semester off. You will be very happy you did. It is not something you just do in a couple of months...

Starting height: 163.5 cm
Lengthened: 8 cm
Current height: 171.5 cm
Supduder
MMT Member

Credibility -35

Damnnnnnnn is a b**** who wants to blow everybody.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 08:48:20 PM »

You won't have enough time even with internals if you can't take time off school. Best case scenario, you lengthen and are complication-free and can consolidate while in school while using a wheelchair. Then you have to get bombarded with questions about what happened to you and will miss out on a bunch of social activities while you're unable to walk unaided. And that's if you have no complications during lengthening that set you back. If you end up with a bone non--union you'd be missing school while trying to fix the problem.

My karma is negative because the user Damnnnnnnn is a spiteful woman who negs my karma daily.
gtbnj
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:20:03 PM »

I'm only 130 pounds, and I'll probably weigh mid-120's by the time May comes around, so I think I'm light enough to use crutches with the PRECICE.  Guichet emailed me back this morning; will I need to use a wheelchair while consolidating with the Guichet nail?
Rainy
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 10:03:22 PM »

You're not going to need a wheelchair after 3 months with PRECICE or Guichet nail specially with your weight. I don't know what supduder is talking about. You can be done with 6cm lengthening and enter the recovery by 3 months if everything goes as planned. Then you can go back home and walk with a walker or maybe crutches if you're good with them. Being able to move around is not all. It won't be easy to handle school when you are supposed to commit to stretching every day, and you are going to need to explain what happened. Just take a semester off or you will hurt both your recovery and grades.

Or why don't you instead take summer classes and take a long semester off?
Supduder
MMT Member

Credibility -35

Damnnnnnnn is a b**** who wants to blow everybody.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 10:19:36 PM »

I'm only 130 pounds, and I'll probably weigh mid-120's by the time May comes around, so I think I'm light enough to use crutches with the PRECICE.  Guichet emailed me back this morning; will I need to use a wheelchair while consolidating with the Guichet nail?

What happens if you fall? The G nail should be able to tolerate it but you risk breaking the Precice if you impact it the wrong way because of its weak weight-bearing capacity. It's easy to fall with crutches especially when your balance is going to be terrible at first.

You're not going to need a wheelchair after 3 months with PRECICE or Guichet nail specially with your weight. I don't know what supduder is talking about.

Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?

My karma is negative because the user Damnnnnnnn is a spiteful woman who negs my karma daily.
Rainy
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 11:18:37 PM »

No I haven't been in hell. So I don't think we have met.
siguy745
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 01:26:01 AM »

How much cheaper is it to do overseas considering the airfare, food, lodging and help?  I also live in NJ so Rozbaruch is closest.  Even thought he is the most expensive, I can save on airfare, lodging, food and help since I will be doing it at home.  I also have kids and doing it overseas was out of the question.  You'd have to take into consideration of convenience and calculate if the difference justifies that.  BTW, LL is a very small community.  Paley(from Canada) and Rozbaruch(Cornell degree) all trained together.  Good luck!
Camoflazh9306
MMT Member

Credibility 4

Waiting....

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 03:31:58 AM »

I'm a college student (guy) and I'm seriously considering doing internal femur lengthening doing my summer break.  The current semester ends May 9th and the following semester begins August 27th, which gives me around 110 days in the interim.  As of right now, taking time off from school isn't an option (though missing the first week or so of the Fall 2015 semester wouldn't be the end of the world).  I've noticed a lot of the posters here wait until after college to do their LL, but I'm only 162cm (slightly under 5'4"), and my neurosis about my short stature is ruining my experience.  Ideally, I would lengthen about 6-7cm (making me 5'6"-5'6. 5", which I would supplement with lifts/elevator shoes).  I would still be short, of course, but at a height I'm not embarrassed to say out loud.  Money isn't an issue, but I seriously doubt my parents are willing to pay $100k for this.  I suppose I could return to school in the fall in crutches/with limited mobility, but coming back in a wheelchair is out of the question. 

I don't think you can squeeze CLL into such period of time unless you go to a low grade, shady doctor god-knows-where. Dr. Guichet, who's the doctor I plan to go to eventually, is totally out of the question. He requires you to have a certain physical preparedness before he operates on you, so you can definitely cross him out if you're planning on a process that you want to squeeze into a 3 month time frame. I'm not sure about the other docs you mentioned but I think the same can be said for them. Hey, I'm a college student also, I have about a year to go, and I'm definitely putting off my CLL adventure until I finish my classes. Even if I had the funds to go for CLL now (which I don't) I'd still wait to finish classes first. CLL isn't something you should rush into to get it over with ASAP. You need to work out a time period in which you can comfortably lay out a personal plan and follow through with it. This is definitely NOT something you want to rush into and do just for the sake of "doing it" and getting it over with based on an emotional impulse. Trust me, I do get like that sometimes also, but you have to let the rational part of your brain control you.

Current height: 5'6''     Aim: 6 ft
gtbnj
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 04:10:17 AM »

Quote from: siguy745 link=topic=7807. msg103232#msg103232 date=1424222761
How much cheaper is it to do overseas considering the airfare, food, lodging and help?  I also live in NJ so Rozbaruch is closest.   Even thought he is the most expensive, I can save on airfare, lodging, food and help since I will be doing it at home.   I also have kids and doing it overseas was out of the question.   You'd have to take into consideration of convenience and calculate if the difference justifies that.   BTW, LL is a very small community.   Paley(from Canada) and Rozbaruch(Cornell degree) all trained together.   Good luck!

I'm not completely sure, but it's definitely less in Europe than to do it with Rozbaruch.  If I did it in Milan I would be an 18 year old alone in a foreign country, but I do know a little Italian and most of the people I would be working with would be fluent in English.

Quote from: Camoflazh9306 link=topic=7807. msg103240#msg103240 date=1424316718
I don't think you can squeeze CLL into such period of time unless you go to a low grade, shady doctor god-knows-where.  Dr.  Guichet, who's the doctor I plan to go to eventually, is totally out of the question.  He requires you to have a certain physical preparedness before he operates on you, so you can definitely cross him out if you're planning on a process that you want to squeeze into a 3 month time frame.  I'm not sure about the other docs you mentioned but I think the same can be said for them.  Hey, I'm a college student also, I have about a year to go, and I'm definitely putting off my CLL adventure until I finish my classes.  Even if I had the funds to go for CLL now (which I don't) I'd still wait to finish classes first.  CLL isn't something you should rush into to get it over with ASAP.  You need to work out a time period in which you can comfortably lay out a personal plan and follow through with it.  This is definitely NOT something you want to rush into and do just for the sake of "doing it" and getting it over with based on an emotional impulse.  Trust me, I do get like that sometimes also, but you have to let the rational part of your brain control you. 

I'm planning to have a consultation with Guichet in March, which would give me 2 months to work with a trainer before I go back in May.  I could always train in Milan for a week or so before surgery.  Also, I have obscenely muscular thighs (God knows why, because the rest of my body sure isn't) and my legs are very flexible (again, not completely sure why), so I think my body will be very well suited to Guichet's regimen. 
Me Ow7
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 09:21:24 PM »

Can someone please tell me how to create my own post? Sorry for putting this here. . .
BritGirl
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »

you need a minimum of 10 posts before you can create your own post
tx1111
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 01:04:40 AM »

This is from Guichet himself

Hospital stay: 4 days.  From the first post-operative day, you will resume full weight-bearing and walking, and bicycling.

Does this mean your walking but limping? It cant be crutches because that is not full weight bearing.  Full weight bearing means no assistance.

is there somethjng I am missing here? From what I read it appears that you do the surgery and limp for a little bit early on but then your good after a couple of months.
gtbnj
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »

Quote from: tx1111 link=topic=7807. msg103416#msg103416 date=1425344680
This is from Guichet himself

Hospital stay: 4 days.   From the first post-operative day, you will resume full weight-bearing and walking, and bicycling. 

Does this mean your walking but limping? It cant be crutches because that is not full weight bearing.   Full weight bearing means no assistance. 

is there somethjng I am missing here? From what I read it appears that you do the surgery and limp for a little bit early on but then your good after a couple of months. 

Guichet uses his own kind of nail, which allows for full weightbearing.  I think he uses a special kind of steel, but all this physics and biochemistry go way over my head so I don't really know how to explain any of this.

Anyway, to update the thread (I'm the OP, for those who haven't noticed), I spoke to my parents and after some convincing they're on board with the surgery but doing it in Europe is out of the question.  I have an appointment with Rozbruch in March, but I would be lengthening at home which I'm not at all comfortable with (I don't want people I know to see me in a wheelchair or walker whenever I leave my home).  I also have an appointment set for a consultation with Paley in May (earliest time that would work for both Paley and I), and ideally I would have the surgery there immediately, or at least soon after, the consultation.  Though I'll probably be on crutches when I go back to school, I think the procedure will be worth it and I'm quite honestly, I'm excited for it.  I'm hoping to lengthen 2. 5-3inches, which should bring me to about 5'6. 5"-5'7".  Yes this is still short, but I think it'll be a height I'm happy with.
Jeffrey75
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »

Quote from: gtbnj link=topic=7807. msg103215#msg103215 date=1424125112
I'm a college student (guy) and I'm seriously considering doing internal femur lengthening doing my summer break.   The current semester ends May 9th and the following semester begins August 27th, which gives me around 110 days in the interim.   As of right now, taking time off from school isn't an option (though missing the first week or so of the Fall 2015 semester wouldn't be the end of the world).   I've noticed a lot of the posters here wait until after college to do their LL, but I'm only 162cm (slightly under 5'4"), and my neurosis about my short stature is ruining my experience.   Ideally, I would lengthen about 6-7cm (making me 5'6"-5'6.  5", which I would supplement with lifts/elevator shoes).   I would still be short, of course, but at a height I'm not embarrassed to say out loud.   Money isn't an issue, but I seriously doubt my parents are willing to pay $100k for this.   I suppose I could return to school in the fall in crutches/with limited mobility, but coming back in a wheelchair is out of the question.  

I've been doing research, and there a few doctors that I'm considering (but feel free to suggest any): Dr.   Guichet, Dr.   Betz, Dr.   Mahbourbian, and Dr.   Shah (India).   I emailed both Guichet and Mahbourbian last week, but neither responded.  .  .  

So anyway, I would really like some tips on which doctor to choose and how to make this work.   Be honest if you feel this couldn't work in the given timeframe. 

Hi,

I have recently (September 2014) had LL of my femurs with the PRECISE2 implants in Cyprus.  The surgeon was Yasser Elbatrawy.  The cost of the overall procedure (surgery, accommodation and follow-up) was about 36,000 euros. 

About your 3 month time frame: It is very reasonable.  The lengthening should last roughly up to 2. 5 months the longest.  After that, you can go home, as there is no need for you to stay in Cyprus (of course you should make an X-ray every 2-3 months, but that can be arranged at your country of residence).  Given that you are young, eat well and exercise as instructed, you can probably go back to every day life on the fourth month, but obviously with care and caution.  You can probably claim you had some kind of accident, i. e.  fell down off your bike or something like that and people will most probably believe it, since there is no major apparent change in your body and attitude (besides the height of course) and crutches usually are associated with mild injuries in the minds of others.  In the 5th to 6th month you will be probably able to walk normally, provided you were exercising in the meanwhile.

In my case, lengthening lasted 2 months in Cyprus.  On the third month I flew back home and spent another month mostly indoors and walked using crutches (but I had already partially resumed normal life as I was going to the office by taxi).  After a follow-up X-ray in the middle of the fourth month, the doctor allowed me to walk freely.  So, I more-less went back to normal life, mainly in terms of walking (I still refrained from lifting weights or walk very long distances, but occasionally I did).  At 6 months (i. e.  now) I am completely normal with very little small issues such as mild muscle aches and do everything normally (cycling, long distance walking and mild weight lifting).  The implants will be removed in the summer, which is roughly 1 year after the operation.

Hope the above was informative.  Feel free to ask for more details on the procedure and follow-up.  But regarding your main concern, I think your time frame is good and most likely you will be able to go back to college after your summer break.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.