MMT Community
November 18, 2017, 05:21:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Welcome to Make Me Taller! This is the leading site for the discussion of Leg Lengthening on the Internet. Join now - the more contribute, the more you will benefit from being part of our community. Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My LL experience 2015 with Dr. Barinov  (Read 19015 times)
Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« on: August 05, 2015, 02:32:32 PM »

Original height: 170.5 cm
Goal: 7 - 7.5 cm
Nationality: American

Thursday, May 28th

Let me start off by describing my first days in Russia. I arrived to Russia on Thursday, May 28th. Irina who is working with international patients picked me up from the airport and we headed straight to Da Vinci Center. For less than $5 dollars or 250 rulbles we were taken to the clinic on the other side of the city. Roads are different story… I will simply say that I have never seen roads as bad as those in Volgograd.

The clinic is located in the office building on the 7th floor which is almost entirely occupied by Da Vinci. Patients walk in the hallway all day long and that’s how I met the first patients when I came out of the elevator. They were all nice people, very hospitable and introduced themselves and told me their stories. I realized that all stories were similar and we all went through the same hell, wearing lifts, avoiding parties where shoes had to be taken off and many other hilarious and embarrassing moments which will soon be left in the past.

The guest house where the patients live is organized like a hostel with 2 beds per room. The rooms are pretty comfortable and have everything you will need for the duration of your stay: things like a fridge, TV, wifi, a bed with a nightstand, closet etc. It is comfortably located on the same floor with the actual clinic down the hallway.

I was surprised seeing patients from Canada, US, Britain, Germany, Italy and Finland. All the international patients, all guys are here for LL, not corrections. The girls that I met are from all over Russia and most are here for correction so they usually stay no longer than 45-60 days and return home.

Dr. Barinov happened to be in the office so he greeted me and I scheduled a counseling appointment with him for next day, on Friday. I spent the rest of the day hanging out with my new friends, drinking tea through the wee hours of the morning.

Friday, May 29th

In the morning, I had a counseling appointment with Dr Barinov who took my measurements, took pictures and created a modeling that showed what my legs would look like at the end.
I had a blood test right after a meeting with Dr. Barinov. I was instructed not to eat or drink anything since yesterday 7 pm. Btw, the counseling is 7,000 rubles (or around $130) and another 4,000 ($75) rubles for the blood test.

At around noon, Masha, the administrator, came to tell me that I needed to make a payment before they could proceed and schedule a surgery. I gave her the card and she tried 3 or 4 times but it would’t work. I had to call the bank and remove the limit which I, for some reason, had (Wells Fargo). It was set at $5,000. Only then she was able to process.
Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 06:35:51 PM »

I gained about 3 cm according to this first x-ray. Btw, you can get free x-rays at any Russian hospital if you have a note from your doctor. The only downside is that you have to come next day to pick up your x-rays and waiting takes a few hours. There is another hospital down the road where you can get the x-rays done without having to wait. You pay 1,600 rubles ($25) and you are out the door in 10 mins. Usually Tonya accompanies your to and from the hospital helping you to register and check in.

Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 06:40:58 PM »

No knee bending, contractures or ballerina. I am ready to walk and stretch

Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 07:09:28 PM »

A little tour around the clinic/hostel.
You enter through the door which has a sign "Residents only! Non-residents must be accompanied at all time and may enter only at the invitation of the resident"

You walk into a common area with a table with chairs, electric kettle, washing machine and racks for drying clothes. This is where we eat and hang out with other patients. This area ALWAYS has people in it. I saw @Rjkey's pictures and it looks like nothing has changed for years here.

The rooms accommodate 2 guests and have a fridge, tv, night stands and a large windowsill which I use for storing my stuff.

microman
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 08:02:16 PM »

so you always have to share a room with someone?

do you not get transfered to a clinic in which you get your own room?
Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 08:44:56 PM »

so you always have to share a room with someone?

do you not get transfered to a clinic in which you get your own room?

Not always but most of the time. I lived on my own for about a month simply because they didn't have that many patients but I now do have a roommate. There is only one clinic where you will be staying and all have 2 beds. The  hospital where you spend about 3 weeks post surgery until you move into the clinic is set up the same way...worse actually, because some rooms have 4 and 6 beds in it and the restroom is usually outside the room. The only way to occupy the entire room at the clinic is by paying double rate which would be 2,000 EU/month. If you prefer living on your own then you may consider renting an apartment nearby which will save you a considerable amount of money. One bedroom rents for about $200 and has all the necessary amenities, microwave, internet, dishwasher, washing machine etc. I would not recommend living outside the clinic though. It is hard to stay motivated to walk and exercise as is so it's better that you stay in.
Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 09:23:47 PM »

The food is delivered daily => 3 times a day Mon-Fri. However, on the weekend all the meals for the day are delivered once in the morning.

My favorite meal called Zharkoye, which is basically steamed meat with vegetables

i am not sure if I get this right but I think this one is called "syrnik" which kind of reminds me a cheesecake

Delicious chicken with potatoes - great source of protein and great for "regenerat" Smiley

jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 09:34:19 PM »

Great pics man!!! stopra sentra regenerat
Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 03:07:16 PM »

I developed a knee bending problem not very bad but bad enough where I would have to stop turning my left leg and work and stretch it because the pain in the knee was becoming unbearable. I had to resort to Keterol injections the last couple of days. The problem with Keterol and why you don't want to abuse it is because it may cause ulcers. Many if not all patients here take Keterol daily some twice a day which is not a good idea. We had a guy who allegedly left with an ulcer because he was taking it at any sign of pain.

Omeprazol above reverses the side effects of Keterol (ulcer formations). The doctor recommended drinking it twice a day if we have to take Keterol.

I will still turn my right leg. According to the last x-ray my right leg is about 1.5 cm shorter so it is a great time to catch up with the left leg while it is recovering.

Left leg with knee bending problem

Right leg "the good one"

P.S. I am currently measuring at 176.2 which means I have almost reached 6 cm and only 1.5 cm short of my target height. Almost there....technically about 2-3 weeks away but in reality it will probably take a little longer if my left knee keeps bothering me
Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »

I am left without a lunch today. The guy, Dmitriy, who delivers food has either not delivered enough food for everyone or someone got an extra meal at my expense Sad After a short walk I had a protein shake and yogurt with "tvorojok" - cream yogurt...all good for you regeneration and a good calcium source.

Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »

We have some good times in here too. You will not be bored to death. If you speak even a little bit Russian then the girls will be very friendly and will want to chat with you.
The girls who have undergone correction surgeries are living at flats but come to clinic every day to walk in hallways and work out in the gym, usually working on the treadmill. You will never walk alone in the hallways and the time usually goes much faster when you talk to somebody during the walks.

Here is a girl visiting me just a day after hospital release. It was nice and thoughtful of her to bring me fruits and some "vitaminki" as she put it.

And sometimes we go visit girls and have some beer and "rybka", namely, smoked and dried Caspian Roach, called Vobla in Russian which goes perfect with the beer. Couldn't find a pic a of her showing how to eat Vobla only this one with cherries Smiley))

And then you watch TV together...

One of the girls is leaving back home. Her correction is done and she is ready to go with her new beautiful legs. She was very happy with the results. AND here is how we celebrate when one of our friends is leaving.
This is some high quality Georgian Cognac one of the best I tried. I should warn you that the doctors strongly discourage any alcohol as it is not good for regeneration. All the drinking took place off the premises at an undisclosed location Smiley

ilizarovgirl
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 12

Sky's the limit so I am reaching for the stars.

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 04:54:36 PM »

so naughty with Cognac, aren't you??  Roll Eyes 

well done, it seems to be really nice there as everybody is wearing frames and understand what you are going through!! much better than when you go home and you are freak with frames. there everybody is the same with frames . good luck with your LL Smiley Smiley

Keep us updated, we may not answer always and it has been quiet on here lately but new diaries are always great reason to talk

start height: 151cm(4'11.5")
03/07/2009-30/03/2010 Ilizarov frames on tibias,+10cm

current height: 161cm(5'3.5")
31/03/2015-26/06/2015 Ilizarov on the right foot, club foot correction

desired height: 171cm(5'7.5")
Camoflazh9306
MMT Member

Credibility 4

Waiting....

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 06:45:43 PM »

Original height: 170.5 cm
Goal: 7 - 7.5 cm
Nationality: American

Thursday, May 28th

Let me start off by describing my first days in Russia. I arrived to Russia on Thursday, May 28th. Irina who is working with international patients picked me up from the airport and we headed straight to Da Vinci Center. For less than $5 dollars or 250 rulbles we were taken to the clinic on the other side of the city. Roads are different story… I will simply say that I have never seen roads as bad as those in Volgograd.

The clinic is located in the office building on the 7th floor which is almost entirely occupied by Da Vinci. Patients walk in the hallway all day long and that’s how I met the first patients when I came out of the elevator. They were all nice people, very hospitable and introduced themselves and told me their stories. I realized that all stories were similar and we all went through the same hell, wearing lifts, avoiding parties where shoes had to be taken off and many other hilarious and embarrassing moments which will soon be left in the past.

The guest house where the patients live is organized like a hostel with 2 beds per room. The rooms are pretty comfortable and have everything you will need for the duration of your stay: things like a fridge, TV, wifi, a bed with a nightstand, closet etc. It is comfortably located on the same floor with the actual clinic down the hallway.

I was surprised seeing patients from Canada, US, Britain, Germany, Italy and Finland. All the international patients, all guys are here for LL, not corrections. The girls that I met are from all over Russia and most are here for correction so they usually stay no longer than 45-60 days and return home.

Dr. Barinov happened to be in the office so he greeted me and I scheduled a counseling appointment with him for next day, on Friday. I spent the rest of the day hanging out with my new friends, drinking tea through the wee hours of the morning.

Friday, May 29th

In the morning, I had a counseling appointment with Dr Barinov who took my measurements, took pictures and created a modeling that showed what my legs would look like at the end.
I had a blood test right after a meeting with Dr. Barinov. I was instructed not to eat or drink anything since yesterday 7 pm. Btw, the counseling is 7,000 rubles (or around $130) and another 4,000 ($75) rubles for the blood test.

At around noon, Masha, the administrator, came to tell me that I needed to make a payment before they could proceed and schedule a surgery. I gave her the card and she tried 3 or 4 times but it would’t work. I had to call the bank and remove the limit which I, for some reason, had (Wells Fargo). It was set at $5,000. Only then she was able to process.

Holy cra*, just realized that because of the current state of Russia's economy everything should be cheaper for people with dollars.

Current height: 5'6''     Aim: 6 ft
Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »

Holy cra*, just realized that because of the current state of Russia's economy everything should be cheaper for people with dollars.

You are right. And the EU's messed up economy and weak euro vs dollar helps too because the pricing here is in Euro but the payment must be made in Russian rubles.

I wanted to come here last year the price was 14,500 Eu. The Eu rate at the time was 1.4 which is $20,300. The current Eu rate is 1.09 which is $15,810. Almost $5,000 in savings on one surgery alone.
It's definitely a good time to come here even with prices rising.
Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 07:16:38 PM »

so naughty with Cognac, aren't you??  Roll Eyes 

well done, it seems to be really nice there as everybody is wearing frames and understand what you are going through!! much better than when you go home and you are freak with frames. there everybody is the same with frames . good luck with your LL Smiley Smiley

Keep us updated, we may not answer always and it has been quiet on here lately but new diaries are always great reason to talk

I couldn't agree more @Ilizarovgirl. We feel very comfortable knowing that no one is judging here because we are all in the same boat. Thank you for wishing luck. I definitely need it.

P.S. Cognac does make things a little naughtier Wink
ilizarovgirl
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 12

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 07:39:46 PM »

I couldn't agree more @Ilizarovgirl. We feel very comfortable knowing that no one is judging here because we are all in the same boat. Thank you for wishing luck. I definitely need it.

P.S. Cognac does make things a little naughtier Wink

I had PT after frame removal in hospital and I loved it while many people hate hospitals. It was amazing as a lot of kids used crutches and most of us had problems to move around. Nobody judged and we had so much fun together. I wish these days could be back Cry

Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 07:50:22 PM »

I had PT after frame removal in hospital and I loved it while many people hate hospitals. It was amazing as a lot of kids used crutches and most of us had problems to move around. Nobody judged and we had so much fun together. I wish these days could be back Cry

The only reason I didn't like the hospital is because there was not air conditioner. I couldn't close the windows so I had all kinds of insects including praying mantis, centipedes, crickets, silverfish and mosquitoes eating me alive. Also, the food was ok but all the same for a month that I stayed. Other than that I'd say it was bearable, however, I like the clinic better.

P.S. Were you able to reach your dream height of 171 cm?
ilizarovgirl
Certified Member
MMT Contributor

Credibility 12

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 08:29:57 PM »

The only reason I didn't like the hospital is because there was not air conditioner. I couldn't close the windows so I had all kinds of insects including praying mantis, centipedes, crickets, silverfish and mosquitoes eating me alive. Also, the food was ok but all the same for a month that I stayed. Other than that I'd say it was bearable, however, I like the clinic better.

P.S. Were you able to reach your dream height of 171 cm?

I still need to go through 2nd lengthening to be 171cm Sad

Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 06:48:17 AM »

I still need to go through 2nd lengthening to be 171cm Sad

I hope your dreams and plans will come to fruition. Good luck, ilizarovgirl!
Mr.Placebo
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 07:10:36 AM »

This is the hallway early in the morning. I like walking early at around 7 am when no one is here you are alone with your thoughts. It is roughly around 20-30 meters and at the current pace of walking it takes me around 3-5 mins to walk from one end to the other. There is a balcony at the end of the hallway.

The view from the balcony. This is a 180 degree shot of the grayness that surrounds us. Not all of the city is like that though. There are some beautiful places but I don't like the monotonous buildings devoid of any color and imagination. Nothing has changed since 1950s here except the population which grew to about a million now.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.