MMT Community
March 29, 2017, 07:17:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: SysOp is not here to make friends - he is here to keep this forum running smoothly and make sure that it stays the most informative site about LL in the world.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: External tibias with Dr. Barinov 2015  (Read 6966 times)
jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« on: August 05, 2015, 07:48:11 PM »

Male
28 years old
Starting Height- 163.5cm Desired Height- 172.5cm
Goal- 9cm
Surgery date- March 12, 2015

Day 1

So I got picked up from the airport by Tonya, the young lady that deals with international patients, and she took me to the clinic. This is pretty cool because here you get to meet the staff and other patients that are doing the surgery. I got to see a couple of guys doing LON,  some doing externals only and some getting ready for the nail (LATN). Deathorb and Prince2 were still in the clinic so I got to meet them.
I had a lot of questions so I spent the rest of this day having tea and talking to these guys.

Day 2

I got up around 9:00 Am, got a blood test in the clinic and went for my x-ray along with two of the guys, one of them did 10cm; I will talk about him later. X-ray took a while and then we went back to the clinic where I met with Dr. Barinov and after this I paid for the surgery. I went for a trip to the mall with one of the guys and Tonya and this is important because here you can buy small things that you forget to bring and especially a USB flash drive for your computer, because there's NO internet connection in the hospital.       
microman
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 07:52:11 PM »

what a strange co incidence you are the exact same height as another diary of the same doctor on this forum by Rgkey
jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 07:56:22 PM »

I don't think is a co incidence, in fact, he was the one that inspired me to do this surgery and go for 9cm Wink  If you look at prince2 starting height, he was also 163.5cm. 
microman
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:01:04 PM »

well it kinda is to the . 5cm and with regards to the rarity of the height, im 164. 5 myself.

anyway i hope you reach your goal.
jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 08:17:07 PM »

Day 3

The clinic called a taxi and I left to the hospital at 8:00AM by myself, which was a bit scary not knowing a single word in Russian. Some how the lady at the reception understood that I was there for Dr. Barinov and send me to the 4th floor where Dr. Tzarcov met me and took me to my room. He asked for my passport and said that Dr. Barinov would arrive soon. Dr. Barinov arrived around 3PM and I was taken to the surgery room. I chose to sleep during surgery so two minutes after I saw Dr. Barinov come in the room, I was out.
I don't remember how long the surgery was but just that I got put on a bed and rolled down to my room and saw Tonya and my roommate on the way there.
  I definitely had pain but nothing major; the worse pain I had was a headache that lasted 7 days. This headache was killer because I couldn't do anything for more than ten minutes and I would have to lay down. I think Prince2 got this headache after his nail surgery. Some people get it and some don't, I guess it depends on how your body reacts to the anesthesia. Anyway, I got the painkiller injection and slept at night.    
jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 08:20:32 PM »

Hi Microman,
 This is what Dr. Barinov measured me at, I thought I was 164cm myself. Thanks man, I'm already at 9cm just waiting to consolidate a bit more on my right leg and should be getting the nail.
jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 08:22:44 PM »

Rgkey was a big inspiration and help for me so I'd like to share a bit of my experience and maybe help someone too.
microman
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 08:30:03 PM »

interestingly dr.  mitkovic never measured me, i guess it's immaterial to the lengthening process, i know my height as i have a medical stadiometer at home anyway.

are you going home to consolidate?

im actually aiming for 5cm, it's interesting what heigth we will accept for ourselves is different when are starting heights are the same.
jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 08:47:06 PM »

The first seven days I did minor movements, really nothing maybe, because of the bad headache. Around the fourth day I discovered that if I laid on the side, the headache would kind of subside a bit and then I could laid back straight and get some rest. i'm sure you guys have read that the hospital is not the greatest place but we all get through, we have no choice.
  Sleep starts getting bad right after surgery little by little but this is a normal thing that everyone goes through. Anyhow, I started lengthening after 8 days and my headache was almost gone. Dr. Tzarcov came in the room and did one leg for me and I did the other, lengthened the four columns doing 90 degree turns four times a day and every four hours. First turn wasn't painful but my legs got very tight, I tried to walk and took a few steps in the room but it was difficult so I started stretching and then rested until my next turn. After my second turn my legs felt better and I was able to do my first long walk around the hospital. Sleep gets even worse after you start turning.
jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 08:57:32 PM »

Ahh ok, gotcha...I'm not familiar with this doctor, where is this at?
  I'm getting the nail at the end of this month and should be out of here next month. My left leg is good but Barinov wants to wait for my  right leg until the end of this month. He said I could the nail now but recommends I have a bit more regeneration to be sure the nail will be stable. So I'm just waiting a bit longer here in the clinic because the doctor told me to.
jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 09:06:54 PM »

You can do whatever lengthening you want, as long as you're doing good, I'm doing great so I did 9cm....Also depends on what your body can handle. I was thinking of going for 10cm but last week I got a nerve pain on my left leg and I couldn't walk for two days. So I took that as I sign that I should stop.. good luck on your goal, 5cm shouldn't be hard to reach Smiley
prince2
MMT Contributor

Credibility 36

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 09:23:02 PM »

Hi jmoney,

yes it is true, they measured me exactly 163.5 cm although I thought I was 164 cm. So now you are 1 cm taller than me Smiley I remember when we first met and you said I would like to be as tall as you. That would be perfect for me. Now you did it!!! Cheesy

9 cm is really good! You can be proud of yourself! You managed to get it without any big complications. Good job man! Hope consolidation goes smooth! Miss you guys a lot!

Starting height: 163.5 cm
Lengthened: 8 cm
Current height: 171.5 cm
jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 09:40:28 PM »

hey prince2,
 great to hear from you.. I still feel that you are taller than me haha we will find out some day. Thank you, I should be out of here soon. Im glad to see you are recovering well, keep it up.
jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 10:07:34 PM »

So from the beginning my legs started feeling very uncomfortable and if I wasn't walking I was stretching. Nothing especial, just simple stretches like reaching your toes, moving your knees and if I was laying down I would have my foot holders on. By the way, the foot holders you get here suck so if you can make your own somehow or buy them, please do it. I broke mines three days after I got them so I had to make something up and now I'm using ones that my ex-roomate gave me, which he brought from home.
  Also, I would stretch when I was walking, again, nothing especial just simple stretches where I would feel the stretch in my leg muscles or sometimes I would sit on a chair and do some knee movements. This is, literally, how I spent my time at the hospital, every day I would do the same thing. As far as nutrition, I was taking protein twice a day and a calcium supplement, both I brought from home. 
For me, the hospital wasn't a good atmosphere and I wasn't very confortable but some patients actually enjoyed their time there; everyone is different and have their own experience so for the new patients, you will have to judge that on your own. So after three weeks at the hospital I went back to the clinic.     

jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 10:58:32 PM »

I was happy to be back at clinic and see the guys and some of the girls that were doing correction. Like Rgkey said, it really helps to be surrounded by good people when you are going through this surgery and I couldn't agree more. The staff at the clinic is really nice and you can see the doctors pretty much everyday, which is a very good thing. As far as the girls, I wasn't lucky to get any beautiful ones but I had some really cool ones and at least one of them spoke english. The clinic is small but good enough for what you need to do, I will try to post pictures or you can visit Mr. placebo's diary where he has some good shots of the place. The food is a million times better than the hospital but I still don't like a lot of it, I just force myself to eat it.
  All I did at the clinic was sleep, eat and work; by work I mean walk and stretch. I did talk to everyone and had tea with the girls blah blah blah but my main priority was always my legs and avoiding contractions. By this stage I really couldn't sleep much, so nights sucked and went by really slow and I would get up around 6:30 Am to get my day started.
  I would come out my room around 7AM and sometimes have tea with the girls, if they were up, if not go for a walk for about one and a half hour or two. After the walk, i would have a protein shake and do some stretching in my room for about one hour and then eat breakfast. After breakfast, I would do another walk for about two hours and then more stretching in my room. At this time I would try to rest, pretty much just lay in bed with my foot holders on and close my eyes for about one hour. Then, I would eat lunch and after lunch do another walk and then stretch in my room and maybe sneak in a small rest. Then I would eat dinner and after dinner go for my last walk of the day and drink a protein shake and try to sleep, which was impossible. This was routine in the clinic all the way till now, where I have reached 9cm without any big complications. Of course some days maybe something would change but i would try to stick to it as close as possible.         
jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 02:08:20 PM »

So this is it guys, I've done the same thing every day for five months and I've been able to reached 9cm with no big problems. My sleep schedule changed around 4cm and I couldn't sleep until about 4 or 5 Am and I would get up around 12 or 1Pm. Everyone was having lunch and I would eat breakfast; same with my roommate, who did 10cm, he would actually get up bit later then me. This is my current sleep schedule except that sleep has gotten a little bit better but not good.
  When I came to the clinic from the hospital, Prince2 was still here but left a week later for his nail surgery so I took his bed; this was Rgkey's room by the way. Main reason I took this room is because there's a bathroom inside, which is only for us so I think it's the best room here. Anyways, my roommate did the same thing I did throughout his whole time here and he was able to achieve 10cm in three months and left home in 5 months with the nail.
  So guys, the main thing you have to remember when doing this surgery is that you have to keep moving, stretch and walk as much as you can until you get tired and then do it again. Find stretches that work for you and do it everyday for as long as you lengthen, walk and force yourself to eat if you don't like the food. I didn't want to get any contractions so maybe I did excesive stretching and walking but it worked and it also worked for my roommate. Since Rgkey did 9cm, Prince2 8cm, roommate 10cm and I did 9cm we decided to call this room " The champions room". For future LL patients in this clinic let's keep this going Wink     

jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 03:14:35 PM »

I want to talk about small complications that I had and some that everyone that comes to this clinic will have. When I reached about 5cm my right leg started to get X and I really didn't worry about it, doctors said this is normal when you lengthen. On top of all the stretching, walking and foot holders around 7cm I noticed that my right foot was a bit inverted and at this time my X leg was very noticeable. It wasn't a bad inversion so I wasn't worried much and I kept lengthening and stretching the foot to not let it get worse. Anyhow, Dr. Barinov had me do correction at 8cm and my legs got straight but even now I have a very small inversion on my right foot; it's almost back to normal so I know this will get better day by day. My theory behind this, is that if I would have paid more attention to my X leg maybe I could have avoided the inversion because my left leg was always good and never got any foot inversion. For future patients, please watch your legs everyday and maybe learn from his experience.
   I was feeling good after I talked to Dr. Barinov about my x-ray and he told me I had 9cm, this was about two weeks ago. As I walked back to my room, my left frame made a loud noise as if I broke a pin, automatically I couldn't move and pain came from back of my left leg; I had to call Mr. Placebo to bring me a rolling chair so I was able to go lay down. Dr. Barinov checked two pins, where pain was coming from, and neither were broken. He told me that one of those pins was cutting the fibula bone and at the same time was hitting the nerve on back of my leg and said that the pain should go down and I should stretch the muscle and try to walk. So using that chair to move around the whole weekend, I forced myself to the physio room where I did a lot of stretching and walked with the ballet bar the entire weekend. By Monday of the following week, the pain went down a lot and I was walking slowly. I'm still walking slow but coming back to my normal walk little by little.   

jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 07:57:08 PM »

The one thing that no one can get away from, in this clinic, is pin braking. Rgkey still holds the record with like 37 and, honestly, I don't know how he did it cause I hate it. So far I've broken 9 pins, four internals and five externals. Externals are not too bad because they are quick to fix but internals suck because it's a longer process in which you have to get an injection, to numb the bone, and they drill the new one in. For me, the injection is the worst part and the drilling I feel very little but it doesn't hurt.
  Every one is different and will feel pain in different ways, Mr. Placebo broke 3 pins already including one internal and he told me the injection wasn't painful for him but felt pain during the drilling. My ex-roomate broke 5 in total including one internal and said the whole thing wasn't painful. So every one will have a different experience.
  The annoying part about braking pins is that it can happen anywhere and at anytime. I broke two pins coming out of the toilet at night and another one when I leaned forward to pee in the toilet, so this sucks. My first pin broke at a dinner we had with some of the girls at their apartment, on a Saturday night so I had to wait till Monday to get it fixed. Also, after I broke a pin I felt some pain so I would take about 3 days off from lengthening and slowly get back at it just so the new pin could get used to all the tension; so it also makes you loose time.
  For new patients, please tell Dr. Barinov to give you the big pins on your ankles also because for some reason he gave me, Mr. Placebo and rjcpm8619 small ankle pins, which are the ones the girls get for correction; if I'm not mistaken these are the same ones Rgkey got. The big ones brake too but hold longer and you might not brake as many internals as I did. My ex-roomate did 10cm with big pins and broke 5 in total with only one internal. I'm at 9cm and so far have broken 9 pins including 4 internals and I'm afraid that I might brake the two small ones left on my left ankle, hopefully not but we'll see.

jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 08:28:28 PM »

I think I was at 8cm here and I'm wearing nike air shock shoes with an insole in this picture; I think I'm about 174cm here.
jmoney
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 08:38:57 PM »

Here is picture of my right leg today while was stretching
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.