MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 05:43:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Words of wisdom from sna78:
"Pain is temporary, height is forever!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mgibson77 - Internal Femurs - Dr. Mahboubian - 2016 - My PRECICE Journey  (Read 15499 times)
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« on: January 11, 2016, 10:35:58 PM »

I'm lengthening with Dr Mahboubian in Cali this February and wanted to start my diary.
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 07:35:53 PM »

I'm lengthening with Dr Mahboubian in Cali this February and wanted to start my diary.

Congrats on starting your journey Mgibson. Are you doing femurs or tibias?
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:18:44 PM »

Keep us posted.
I should be doing my April. If all goes as planned .
texasbruce
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 08:41:35 PM »

Good luck on your journey!

Which PRECISE is Dr using right now? 1 or 2?
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:41:18 AM »

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to ignore any of you.  I did gain a lot of information from reading other people's experiences which is why I wanted to start my own diary so that others can access valuable info. 

I'm doing femur with the Precise nail.  Not sure whether its Precise I or II, I'll ask the doctors.  My surgery is on Feb 18th. 

I live in the Bay Area (San Francisco/Oakland area) so I'll be travelling down south to meet Doctor Mahboubian and is team on the 13th. 

I'll write more in the coming days, I just checked back today to learn that my diary was started by SysOp - thanks a lot. 

I'll be more frequent. 
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 03:08:18 PM »

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to ignore any of you.  I did gain a lot of information from reading other people's experiences which is why I wanted to start my own diary so that others can access valuable info. 

I'm doing femur with the Precise nail.  Not sure whether its Precise I or II, I'll ask the doctors.  My surgery is on Feb 18th. 

I live in the Bay Area (San Francisco/Oakland area) so I'll be travelling down south to meet Doctor Mahboubian and is team on the 13th. 

I'll write more in the coming days, I just checked back today to learn that my diary was started by SysOp - thanks a lot. 

I'll be more frequent. 

will u be living alone ?
how did u prepare...any stretching ....u r age ..?
lol - too many questions all with good intentions !
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 12:35:17 AM »

Hi a1_z1,

I have some family friends in the area that I'll be stopping with momentarily from the 13th till my surgery (18th).  After the surgery, I can return home and continue lengthening but I'd like to stay close to the doctors for some time, maybe a couple of weeks.  During this time, I'll either stay with my friend or rent a motel depending on cost. 

Doctor Mahboubia told me to stretch and then stop playing soccer two weeks before the surgery so the body can heal.  Some folks here have suggested that you take more protein so that's what I'm shooting for in the coming days. 

I'm not sure whether initial preparations are that important.  What I've learnt is that you have to do a lot of PT during lengthening and after so in that regard, I don't think what you do before (with respect to preparing your body physically) is that significant. 
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 12:52:23 AM »

Here's a little intro about me, I thought it'd help to share. 

Ethnicity: Black/African American
Height: 5'5'' 1/2 ( Five feet, five and half inches) or 1. 66 meters
Desired increase: 3'' (three inches) or
Final desired height: 5'8 1/2 or 1. 74 meters

Also, let me just add that I am a Software Engineer by profession and during the last two years, I've been driving for Uber and Lyft in order to raise the money for this surger. 

My budget is $100,000
Surgery will cost $70-$71, 000.  excluding cost of travel and accommodation.  Please not that this is not a fix cost, you have to book an appointment with the doctor to get an estimate for your own case. 

Here's the break down
Cost of consultation: $600 --> paid at time of visit in May 2015 and is not part of total cost above
Cost to reserve a surgery spot and to order the Precice device: $5,000.  Paid in late Nov 2015 and is part of total cost above. 
Balance: $65-$66, 000 remaining to be paid before the surgery on 2/18/16. 

I'm quoting a range of 70-71, 000 or 65-66,000 because that's what I've been told.  I asked them why the range and they said, I'll come to know the exact figure on the day that I make the final payment which is Feb 17th, 2016. 

Like I said, I'm not speaking for Dr Mahboubian or his staff, I'm just giving what the cost will be for me.  This was quoted for  me when I did my consultation in May 2015 and it is good for up to one year.  That is if I didn't do the surgery within one year from May 2015, I'd have to go for another consultation and get a different quote. 
kneehowguys
MMT Member

Credibility 6

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 02:59:03 AM »

Out of curiosity, when you were raising money did you consider anything other little jobs on the side aside from Uber/Lyft?

Like tutoring someone in programming/some college class?

Something makes me wonder if perhaps uber/lyft give better money/time than tutoring because the task of finding people is streamlined through the app + get paid for the travel.

It's in the back of my mind of someday working a main job + a little side job / some odd jobs. I'm in engineering school atm
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 09:04:35 AM »

Good questions. 
Well, at the time (October 2013) that I started driving for Uber as a side job, it was really a revolution especially in San Francisco.  So you could easily make $250-350 a night.  Its harder now given that Uber has reduced the rates for the riders. 
But to your question of whether it would be difficult to get riders, I'd say nope, its not.  In fact, there are so many ride requests that at times you get tired and just log off and go home. 
At times, I used to drive from 8pm on Fridays till 7AM Saturday mornings taking folks to and from bars and the airports.  between 4Am and 7Am you get a lot of airport rides and they are usually longer and pay more. 

The other thing with tutoring or teaching programming is that I may not have been able t do so at odd hours such as those described above.  Remember I had to do my regular 9-5 as a Software Engineer too. 

By the way for everybody's info, I got to Los Angeles yesterday(2/15/16) and the weather is really great here.  Very good looking people but huge traffic so you may want run most of your errands outside of rush hour. 
I did some pre-ops with Dr.  Mahboubian today and he brought in this gorgeous female medical student who's on her internship.  Generally relaxed atmosphere and we had fun chatting about the surgery.   

I have one more pre-op with one of Dr.  Mahboubian's assistants tomorrow and then I'll be ready for Thursday 2/18.  Just completed some nice stretching exercises so I"m going to take my protein shake and catch
my  bed. 
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »

Good questions. 
Well, at the time (October 2013) that I started driving for Uber as a side job, it was really a revolution especially in San Francisco.  So you could easily make $250-350 a night.  Its harder now given that Uber has reduced the rates for the riders. 
But to your question of whether it would be difficult to get riders, I'd say nope, its not.  In fact, there are so many ride requests that at times you get tired and just log off and go home. 
At times, I used to drive from 8pm on Fridays till 7AM Saturday mornings taking folks to and from bars and the airports.  between 4Am and 7Am you get a lot of airport rides and they are usually longer and pay more. 

The other thing with tutoring or teaching programming is that I may not have been able t do so at odd hours such as those described above.  Remember I had to do my regular 9-5 as a Software Engineer too. 

By the way for everybody's info, I got to Los Angeles yesterday(2/15/16) and the weather is really great here.  Very good looking people but huge traffic so you may want run most of your errands outside of rush hour. 
I did some pre-ops with Dr.  Mahboubian today and he brought in this gorgeous female medical student who's on her internship.  Generally relaxed atmosphere and we had fun chatting about the surgery.   

I have one more pre-op with one of Dr.  Mahboubian's assistants tomorrow and then I'll be ready for Thursday 2/18.  Just completed some nice stretching exercises so I"m going to take my protein shake and catch
my  bed. 

How many pre op meetings are there ?, other than the initial meeting in which they take x rays and tell you that you are a good candidate for LL.
Plus I know the pre ops involve blood tests and paper work but what else ?
thx
BelowTheMean
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 12:33:50 AM »

Hi mgibson77, good luck with your surgery! I bet you're excited that it's finally time! I'm a few years younger than you, but need a few years to save up the cost of the surgery. How much worse do you think it is to do the surgery in your early 30s than late 20s?
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 06:04:23 PM »

Hey folks, I'm back alive :-).  Sorry for the delayed responses to your questions. 
To a1_z1 , there should be only two.  One with Dr.  Mahboubian and the other with Dr.  Dan Dardashti ( your primary care physician during the course of the surgery) . 

With Mahboubian, we just took some chest x-rays, signed the consent form and then he got to me some prescriptions to use later after my discharge. 
With Dardashti, we took urine, blood, weight and height. 

To BelowTheMean, I don't think there's one-size-fit all when it comes to age for this surgery.  To the best of my knowledge, it all depends on your body and how active you've been priority to the surgery.  I think growthspurt or one of the guys in this forum was actually 42 and he got all 8cm.  At 34, I'm targeting the 8cm mark but lets see what my body allows. 
As stated, I'm a soccer player so I consider myself in great shape but I think playing other sports or doing regular exercise should be just fine too.

Now to a general update on the surgery: things went quite well.  My girlfriend and I stayed in a hotel near the hospital and drove there on the morning of 2/18 arriving at 5:33AM.  We went through admission, paid the hospital fees and then the receptionist directed us to the 2nd floor with the nurses and operating rooms. 

Once in the designated nursing room, one nurse came and put in the IV , another came and did vitals.  Then another lady came in to shave my legs but realized that I didn't have much hair so she left.  Then came the anesthesiologist who assured me that he was going to be doing both liquid and gas because that's a good combination and that he will be with me all throughout the surgery making sure I stay under. 

After all of that, one nurse started wheeling me towards the operating room.  I was cool and calm, no fear.  My girl kissed me goodbye and left because she couldn't, of course, enter the operating room.  Down the hallway, I saw Dr.  Mahboubian  and about 4-5 other doctors/assistants standing by a door all smiley.  Dr.  Mahboubian jokingly asked: Moses, are you ready to get rolling ? I went yup, lets roll and then he smiled and starting walking along side my sliding bed with the other doctors as we entered the operating room. 

They quickly transferred me from that bed I came with onto another nicer and warmer bed.  The operating room is definitely  state-of-the-art equipped with so many medical devices like huge  lights, beds and other machines.  Apart from doctors moving around and arranging stuff, I don't remember anything else after a few minutes of entering the operating room - I was probably under by then. 

By 11:30AM (we entered operating room at 7:30ish) I woke up in the recovery room on the 5th floor and would stay there till discharge on 2/20/15. 

Will be back with more on that later but let me just add that the nurses are really good and keep visiting you throughout the night and day. 
I'm on my medications now and able to eat regularly at home.  Did some pt in hospital, pt guys will come on Monday.  Lengthening doesn't start till next week by 2/26/16 which is my next appointment date with Dr.  Mahboubian. 

a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 08:02:08 PM »

Great first step all done. Happy for you.
Actually one person on this forum said he was 52 when he got all two areas - Tibia and femur -  done. he even posted pics. Unless that was a mis print - he did say 52.
Wonder if most people stop before 8 cm because of medical reasons ?
Keep us posted.
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 04:20:02 PM »

Its medically acceptable to go 8cm which is why the device manufacturers and the LL doctors settle for 8cm.  But as you lengthen, it gets more challenging as you approach the 8cm limit.  I've heard good, consistent PT be able to get you there. 

General update:
I did some light PT in the hospital on Friday 2/19 and Saturday 2/20.  was discharged on Saturday.
Yesterday 2/23 was my first out-patient PT after leaving hospital.  It was great and gave me some hope about things that started worrying me - tight and tired muscles in the thighs. 

Looking forward to meeting Dr.  on 2/26 to see if we can start lengthening. 
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 01:15:11 AM »

Met Dr.  Mabhoubian yesterday 2/26 and we remove some of the stitches.  those that were not yet properly healed were left in place for another week.  He was really impressed with my healing and range of motion.  I did raise my knee close to by chest and he said it was not common to see people move that well just after the first week of surgery. 

At the end of the meeting, he brought in a guy from Eclipse, the manufacturer of the Precice II device and both of them explained in to me how to use it.  Dr.  M also made markings on my thighs indicating where the magnet is at in the fumur and where the device should be placed for lengthening. 

He instructed to lengthening . 33mm four times a day for the next 6 days and then we can go to 3 times a day. 
I don't feel anything when lengthening. 
Oh he also said I can now take regular, full showers( exciting). 
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 02:57:00 AM »

Met Dr.  Mabhoubian yesterday 2/26 and we remove some of the stitches.  those that were not yet properly healed were left in place for another week.  He was really impressed with my healing and range of motion.  I did raise my knee close to by chest and he said it was not common to see people move that well just after the first week of surgery. 

At the end of the meeting, he brought in a guy from Eclipse, the manufacturer of the Precice II device and both of them explained in to me how to use it.  Dr.  M also made markings on my thighs indicating where the magnet is at in the fumur and where the device should be placed for lengthening. 

He instructed to lengthening . 33mm four times a day for the next 6 days and then we can go to 3 times a day. 
I don't feel anything when lengthening. 
Oh he also said I can now take regular, full showers( exciting). 

How was - is the pain ?       PT ? 
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 07:42:52 AM »

PT's good. Well tough but you feel relieved afterwords.
I left Southern Cali and returned home (Northern Cali) on Saturday 3/5/16. So far things have been ok - some nights tougher than others but nothing too unusual.

Initially, there was pain in my left butt-cheek from walking too much. I tend to go a bit more on challenging things so I"ve learnt that some things need to be in the exact quantity so I don't walk more than recommend. That pain is almost completely gone, feel just a bit about a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 - 10 on some days.

In the right leg, there's new pain due to either an exercise I attempted on Saturday night after arriving home or because of sitting too long in the car driving from LA to Bay Area - 6 hours. I can't tell which one caused it but that too is going down. None has caused me to stop lengthening or going to PT. My girlfriend drove, not me.

Today, I did a new type of exercise in PT which knocked the hell out of me.  Since the surgery, I've not been able to cross my legs or lift one leg from on top of the other while lying down sideways. I thought this was normal due to the surgery but its not supposed to be so. My PT guys(without me communicating to them that I cant cross my legs or left them sideways) made me to lie down on either side and try to lift the other leg up. Number 4 on this site (http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Leg-Lifts)
This was so difficult to do but after a few attempts, I did ten lifts on either side. Got a bit sick after returning home because it was too much on my body but Im feeling ok now and its not so hard to cross my legs or lift them sideways when putting pillows in between them while lying down sideways.

More to come later....about to watch a movie.
a1_z1
MMT Adviser

Credibility 10

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 01:18:13 PM »

PT's good. Well tough but you feel relieved afterwords.
I left Southern Cali and returned home (Northern Cali) on Saturday 3/5/16. So far things have been ok - some nights tougher than others but nothing too unusual.

Initially, there was pain in my left butt-cheek from walking too much. I tend to go a bit more on challenging things so I"ve learnt that some things need to be in the exact quantity so I don't walk more than recommend. That pain is almost completely gone, feel just a bit about a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 - 10 on some days.

In the right leg, there's new pain due to either an exercise I attempted on Saturday night after arriving home or because of sitting too long in the car driving from LA to Bay Area - 6 hours. I can't tell which one caused it but that too is going down. None has caused me to stop lengthening or going to PT. My girlfriend drove, not me.

Today, I did a new type of exercise in PT which knocked the hell out of me.  Since the surgery, I've not been able to cross my legs or lift one leg from on top of the other while lying down sideways. I thought this was normal due to the surgery but its not supposed to be so. My PT guys(without me communicating to them that I cant cross my legs or left them sideways) made me to lie down on either side and try to lift the other leg up. Number 4 on this site (http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Leg-Lifts)
This was so difficult to do but after a few attempts, I did ten lifts on either side. Got a bit sick after returning home because it was too much on my body but Im feeling ok now and its not so hard to cross my legs or lift them sideways when putting pillows in between them while lying down sideways.

More to come later....about to watch a movie.

Great to see all is going well..
The PT does not come to your house ? I thought that was an option you would have at this early stage.
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 05:28:19 AM »

I suppose they could come to your home if desired but I think its better to go to them which gives me something to get out of the house about and also they have more equipment at their site. Beds, walkers, stretching rubbers, bikes, ice etc.

By my calculations, I think I've already reached 1-inch(27.92mm) lengthening but I'll let the doctor confirm on 3/25/26 when I met him for my first x-ray since surgery.

cheers.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.