MMT Community
February 26, 2017, 02:36:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS! Please make sure that you only post general questions on the 'General Questions' board or you'll get a lot of flames - and make sure you read the FAQs and DIARIES first Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walking Tall Dr Sringari  (Read 15352 times)
WalkingTall
MMT Member

Credibility 3

Started chasing my dream!

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »

Hi BigFaker,
Thanks for sharing that video! I have included that in my daily routine. It gives a good stretch in hamstrings and calf muscles. But could not see any effect on my ballerina.

Hi fightforit,
No specific advice. Just know more about this LL and prepare yourself to be strong.
I will write about my final opinion later...

Thanks

Starting height : 5'3"     Dream Height  : 5'6"    Operated on : Jan20,2016
Lengthening started on : Jan30,2016   Frame removed on : May05,2016
WalkingTall
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2016, 01:29:32 PM »

Its been 54 days post frame removal.

Pin sites have healed and feel no pain.

Right Leg,
No tightness.
Ankle is flexible.
Ballerina is about 3 CM

Left Leg,
Still very tight.
Ankle is not flexible and very tight. From my last update tightness might have reduced 15% on the left leg. Overall it is still tight about 75%.
Ballerina is about 5 CM
This leg is little bit twisted. Harry told me that my ankle tightness has to reduce for this twist to go away

weight bearing in legs have improved and I feel legs are stronger than before. Calf muscles are growing and callus growth is also good.

I was planning to travel back 10 days back. But I postponed my travel 3 more weeks to gain confidence and improve my condition.

So far its been 5 months 10 days since my first surgery. Achieved length of 7 CM and walking like below.

Trained walking with shoulder crutches for 2 weeks and started walking with elbow crutches for last 3 days. Its difficult but hoping it gets better.

Thanks

WalkingTall
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »

My Daily routine so far,

Standing for 15 mins 4 times a day
walking for 15 mins 3 times a day. Last 3 days went out for walking with Harry and walked about 25 mins continuously.
Physio for 2 times a day
soaking in hot water with salt for 15 mins before physio.
Sit and leg raise with ankle weight (100 counts)
lay down and hip raise (30 counts)
sand bagging on left leg for 30 mins
Sit and Calf stretch for 15 mins

So far my only problem that is disturbing me is ballerina but I continue to fight for it....

danniejoe26
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2016, 04:06:40 PM »

Its been 54 days post frame removal.

Pin sites have healed and feel no pain.

Right Leg,
No tightness.
Ankle is flexible.
Ballerina is about 3 CM

Left Leg,
Still very tight.
Ankle is not flexible and very tight. From my last update tightness might have reduced 15% on the left leg. Overall it is still tight about 75%.
Ballerina is about 5 CM
This leg is little bit twisted. Harry told me that my ankle tightness has to reduce for this twist to go away

weight bearing in legs have improved and I feel legs are stronger than before. Calf muscles are growing and callus growth is also good.

I was planning to travel back 10 days back. But I postponed my travel 3 more weeks to gain confidence and improve my condition.

So far its been 5 months 10 days since my first surgery. Achieved length of 7 CM and walking like below.

Trained walking with shoulder crutches for 2 weeks and started walking with elbow crutches for last 3 days. Its difficult but hoping it gets better.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing, why do you think you got ballerina foot? Did the doctor say it would go away on its own?

"Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that's the one that is going to help you grow.”
WalkingTall
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2016, 09:47:55 AM »

Ballerina foot occurs when muscles do not stretch with lengthening pace. Lengthening happens at the front part of the tibia. calf muscles and tendon on the backside should also stretch otherwise ballerina will occur. Slow lengthening and lot of standing during lengthening will help reduce ballerina. I did fast lengthening and I didn't stand more during lengthening as my legs were so tight and painful. I have tight muscles and it was not that flexible. So I got ballerina.

It will not go away on its own. We need to stand and walk more. Doctor looked at my legs he said my muscles are tight and it will take time for me. But he mentioned it will go away with lot of walking.

I cannot walk more now. My legs are not that strong. I can walk 15 mins 3 times day. Then my legs become very tired. I believe once the bone is fully formed and have good calf muscles I can walk more then the ballerina will go away.

WalkingTall
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2016, 09:53:54 AM »

Below pic was taken 40 days back when I was standing after frame removal

This pic was taken today during physio

growsoon
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2016, 12:07:10 PM »

Hello WalkingTall:  Congratulations, you finished LL. 3 cm BF is not bad, probably get off BF 2 months. I meet 2 patients BF is worse than you. They get off BF without surgery. You Just need times and exercise. I watch your video and your walk is good.
brokenman
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2016, 01:02:40 AM »

Congrats
fightforit
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2016, 08:56:55 AM »

Hey guys,
This is important!!

I am really concerned about having too much of ballerina foot.  3-5cm seems a lot to recover from.
Is there a possibility that it wont ever get perfect. . . . (example) you are left with 0. 5 or say 1 cm of ballerina for life?  Huh?

Starting Height-161cm | Dream Height-173cm | considering to operate on Tibias-6cm, Femur-6cm|

"perhaps the butterfly is proof that you can go through a great deal of darkness and yet become something beautiful"
WalkingTall
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2016, 02:05:55 PM »

Thanks growsoon! Hopefully it goes away in 2 months for me as well.

Thanks brokenman!

Hi fightforit!
Everyone's body reacts differently during LL. If you really concerned about too much of ballerina then stopping lengthening might be a good idea. Generally people stopping at 5-5.5CM will have less ballerina or no ballerina at all. It also depends on your body type.
I cannot answer the question of having left with ballerina for life for now....My case can be a good one for dealing with ballerina and recovering from it. Keep following my diary.I will post my progress.....

WalkingTall
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2016, 02:28:17 PM »

India is a good option to achieve LL at an affordable price. But quality comes with the cost. You cannot expect a 5 start quality and service. But it is reasonable and you will feel ok for the price you are paying. That's how I felt.

But I also felt for the same price service was better 2 years back. Lately the service level has come down I have to say. But I didn't consider that as a big deal as I was focusing on achieving my LL. when I was looking at diaries 2 years back the service seems to be good and people had most of the necessary things for LL (Like Gym equipment, different varieties of food, etc). I asked harry why the service level has come down. He told 2 years back operation was handled by doctor and rehab was handled by him as a separate entities. So he spent lot of money and time for patients care. Now doctor is managing and he doesn't have enough time to manage things and seems like it has come down.

Harry told me he is starting his rehab for LL as like he did before. He is working on a website for his rehab service. He told he will work with Dr.Sringari but separate the rehab. For more details people can contact him. This is his contact details,
Email : limblengthcare@gmail.com
Phone : +91 9560867721

fightforit
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2016, 11:32:08 AM »

Hey Walking Tall,
Thanks for replying bro.
I wish you all the best for your journey ahead.
Do keep us updated , will be looking forward to your posts.

regards,
fightforit

Starting Height-161cm | Dream Height-173cm | considering to operate on Tibias-6cm, Femur-6cm|

"perhaps the butterfly is proof that you can go through a great deal of darkness and yet become something beautiful"
WalkingTall
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2016, 04:03:12 AM »

Reached back US safely.

July 8th was my flight. Harry dropped me at the airport and assist me to get a wheelchair for check-in. Then he left. Then I checked-in at AirIndia ticket counter and kept my shoulder crutches with me. Once the check-in is done wheel chair assistant took me to the security check. Security officer asked me to stand on my crutches to frisk me. Then I went to the gate. Wheel chair assistant told me he will come back during boarding. I reached the gate 1 hour before the boarding.

I preferred AirIndia bcos they have non-stop flight to New York (13 hours). I booked ticket at the last row so that I can go the restroom without struggling much.

When the boarding started the wheel-chair assistant did not come. All other wheel chair passengers where boarding but I was sitting in the waiting seat. Then they started the boarding for regular passengers. Then I was boarded at the end. I was walking with crutches inside flight. The flight was full and everybody was looking at me. It was bit strange and different for me. Then I thought I should go thru as part of this journey and I was ok.

Sad thing is the restroom behind my seat was closed and flight crew mentioned it is under maintenance. So I had to go thru the other side. Apart from that my journey was good.

I thought during the security check bcos of the IM nails it will alarm. But it didn't. Once I reached US wheel chair passengers were asked to stay back and once all the regular passengers are out assistant came for wheel chair passengers. Wheel chair assistant helped me to clear the immigration and helped to get my luggage from the carousel. My brother was waiting at the passenger's pick up area and wheel chair assistant came till the car parking. Then I reached home....

It was completely a different feel at the airport with moving around in wheel chair with crutches. But its part of this journey. One more thing is my legs have swollen a lot during the journey. After reaching home put my legs in hot water and after taking rest it went away the next day.

Bigfaker
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 94

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2016, 12:02:30 AM »

Welcome home WT!

I didn't know you lived in New York. I was just there a week before you returned.

Congrats on surviving the surgery, lengthening, and recovery stages. Now comes REALLY hard part! (kidding). But it is a tough transition from having caretakers 24/7 to starting to be independent again.

Also, try simply elevating your feet (you can rest them against the wall) when they swell up. When I first got home, I had that quite often as I tried to walk more than my body was prepared for:

WalkingTall
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2016, 09:03:47 PM »

Hi Bigfaker,

Thanks for the tip. I will do that when my legs swells.
First few days my legs were swelling when I was walking. But nowadays its not swelling. I guess my legs are adjusted for walking.

Next time when you are in New York let me know. We will meet.

You mentioned you handled ballerina pretty well. Can you tell me how you handled? How long did it take for you to remove ballerina completely?
how long you were walking with crutches?

Thanks

WalkingTall
MMT Member

Credibility 3

« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2016, 09:33:41 PM »

Its been 2 weeks after reaching US.

My overall health is improved
Food cravings have been stopped. Eating well and feeling healthy
My legs are becoming strong and gained muscles little bit.
Able to walk for 40 mins continuously twice a day.

No reduction in Ballerina yet  Cry Cry Cry

Workout routines
2 times walking for 40 mins (Morning and evening)
standing for 50-60 mins daily (10-15 mins in 2 hour intervals)
cycling for 1 hour (2 times 30 mins each) but not every day
Hamstrings stretching for 20 mins

Started driving car. Initially it was tough due to Dorsiflexion was bad and painful in the shin. Now its ok.

This is how I look after lengthening,

I have put more weight probably close to 5 kg when compared to my weight before LL. But not worrying about it. Once I recovered will deal with my weight later.

I now feel an average height person. I feel I am not in the short group anymore. It feels amazing. But still not happy 100%. Once ballerina goes away and started walking flat without any crutches I would be happy 100%. Not sure how long its gonna take....

TIBIKE2002
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2016, 01:49:50 AM »

Good luck with recovery

Why hamstring stretch? It has nothing to do with ballerina foot.

You should hire a physio in your home city. If you can't afford, do calf stretches like the downward looking dog yoga position, and other calf and achilles stretches
growsoon
MMT Member

Credibility 4

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2016, 04:55:24 AM »

WalkingTall: I agree TIBIKE2002 hire physio. Physio is really important to recover soon. Get off BF is a long time process according to my roommate. He get off BF 5 cm around 5 months and he hire physio 2 times per week.
Arch
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2016, 01:30:22 PM »

Could you show a picture of how bad your ballerina is?
Maybe a video of barefoot walking?

If it is possible ofcourse!!

Thanks!
Bigfaker
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 94

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2016, 03:15:26 PM »

Good luck with recovery

Why hamstring stretch? It has nothing to do with ballerina foot.

You should hire a physio in your home city. If you can't afford, do calf stretches like the downward looking dog yoga position, and other calf and achilles stretches

TBIKE,
The hamstrings and gastroc/Achilles are inter-connected by nerves and fasciae. Everything works together. Some call it "muscle interdependence", some call it the "Kinetic Chain"
http://breakingmuscle.com/au/mobility-recovery/everything-is-connected-fix-weak-links-to-prevent-injury
http://www.runnersworld.com/training-video/inside-the-doctors-office-strengthen-your-kinetic-chain
This is why working on just the calf muscle in isolation is not enough. It's why stretching the gastroc/Achilles while seated is not enough. With moderate (or severe) equinus conrtracture, when you stretch out the lower leg muscles, it can cause the knee to bend in response (more below).

WalkingTall: I agree TIBIKE2002 hire physio. Physio is really important to recover soon. Get off BF is a long time process according to my roommate. He get off BF 5 cm around 5 months and he hire physio 2 times per week.

These guys are right about the help a legit PT can provide. I go twice a week now, down from 3x/week when I first got home. But you already know from the time in India that it's not all about the time you spend with PTs. A LOT of the work you have to do on your own, pretty much every day, if not multiple times per day.

You mentioned you handled ballerina pretty well. Can you tell me how you handled? How long did it take for you to remove ballerina completely?
how long you were walking with crutches?

LOL, I've been meaning to write about this forever. I guess you're finally egging me to do it...and I'll just copy/paste into my diary LOL. This is not a simple question, especially since equinus can be so aggressive and persistent.

The first part, I'm sure you did with Harry: the pressing down on your knees while seated, right?:

Once I got my heels down to the floor consistently, I rolled up a towel under my foot to get a bit of dorsiflexion:

Remember I said Harry used to use hot wax:

...which we all though was pretty pointless and way too time-consuming. It only warmed up the skin. Soaking in hot water was much more helpful. When I soaked while seated, I put weights on my knees to press down:

But as I said, my knees (esp. the R, which had worse BF) would want to bend when the heels were pressed down to the floor (or toes pulled up, while lying down). So standing is really important. I wasn't quite ready to stand on a step (and the hotel didn't have railings close enough to hold both sides, so I used the towel again while standing:

I spent a LOT of time standing like this. When my arms got tired, I just bent over the walker and let my torso hold me up:

But now that you're home you could buy or build something like this:

...especially if you don't have a step that works for stretching.

But you can only do so much on your feet in a day...and your arms can only hold you up for so long. Probably the MOST important thing I did in India was press my heels against the wall...well, specifically, the headboard:

See the knee bend? That's why I started piling weights on my knees:

And then added the towel roll:

LOL. I bought the Monopoly to play with fellow patients in the guest house. We never played once. I do remember one night playing poker, using pizza seasoning packets as "chips", though. Grin

I would set up this crazy position, put on some good music, and literally lie there for HOURS! I remember I used to fall asleep and our caretaker Sukesh, the PTs or (once) Dr. Sringari would wake me up and I was still in this position.

WHEN I GOT HOME:
OK, the persistence part: I got my heels to the floor and a bit of dorsiflexion while in India. Once I was home, I was so busy catching up with work, trying to re-connect with fiancé/family/friends, and I couldn't get an appointment at a PT center for almost two weeks. I was too lax stretching on my own. So by the time I started with the PTs in the US, I was feeling the Ballerina had regressed partly and I lost some of the flexibility I had gained the month before. I definitely remember because my PT said I "walked in on my toes" when she met me.

So once I got back to fully-stocked gyms in the US, I added calf stretching on the leg press machine, about every other day:

Probably the best thing about PT at home was starting on the Alter-G anti-gravity treadmill:

If you've never heard of it, it's a NASA-designed machine that has an air bubble which lifts you and helps you walk or run without putting your full body weight on your legs. You can see it in most of my US videos. I would walk for up to an hour, at 40-70% of my body weight, at the maximum incline, at a veeeery slow pace (like 0.7 MPH). Remember how Harry would stretch the calves for a couple minutes by pressing the balls of your feet toward you? This is the same idea, except using your body weight, and much more slowly. I just looked and there a ton of AlterGs in the New York area, but if you can't get to one (or don't want to pay), you could always walk on a regular treadmill and hold yourself with your arms. This is pretty strenuous after 10 minutes, though. Especially, in initial recovery, when you're not allowed to put much weight on your legs.

With regular stretching, I would say most of the equinus was handled in the first 3 months after frame removal. I had good dorsiflexion soon after that, but my ankle issues have always complicated things. And mornings are STILL tough to this day. In the morning, when everything is stiff, it still takes a couple minutes for my heels to come down. It probably will be easier for you, since you're younger...and don't have bone fragments floating in your ankle.

Crutches were pretty much my adopted body parts for much of the last 2 years. I had enough callus in the R leg to only need one crutch by August 2014 (4 months post-FR). But you know I had non-union, so I was on one crutch ( and sometimes two again) until November of 2015. And then I had 2 surgeries this year, so back on them again for a few weeks in February and May. Like I said, my damn crutches were pretty much attached to me.

Hope some of this helps you. There's probably more, but that's all I can remember right now. Good luck!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.