MMT Community
April 27, 2017, 08:29:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Make Me Taller is the world's leading discussion forum for Leg Lengthening - this is a professionally-run site and is properly maintained and developed for our community by people who have actually had Leg Lengthening. Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6ix Side - Internal Tibias - 2016 - Dr. Betz - Quest for the Holy Grail!  (Read 10335 times)
6ix Side
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 132

« on: May 03, 2016, 07:01:15 PM »

Hello strangers!  It's been a while I know.. between work, my personal life and many other factors, I haven't really had time to check in.  But you'll be glad to know things are moving forward with my 2nd LL chapter.

I'm currently in Neunkirchen, Saarland in the new and ultra modern medical wing of Neunkirchen Krankenhaus.  The Komfortstation on the top floor of this medical facility is a far cry from the rooms at Caritas Krankenhaus.  Some of you know that was the previous outfit where Prof. Betz used to practice, this is quite an upgrade!

So moving right along and without wasting any time, my procedure is scheduled for tmrw @8:00am.  This will be to remove titanium nails from my femur lengthening back in 2009 and a single Betzbone tibia implant (right side), the 2nd implant will be inserted next week Wednesday.  The reason behind breaking up the procedures is to reduce strain/trauma on the legs and also not to overwork Prof. Betz.  And a quick note here, waiting over 6 years to remove titanium is a very bad idea for both your body and the surgeon due to the extreme bond it makes with new and existing bone; titanium is known to integrate seamlessly into the skeletal structure so 2-3 years (tops) post lengthening for removal is best.. I hope Betz can get them out without straining too much.

Now, I'm not going into potential risks for tibia lengthening or proportion discussions at all in this diary.  You can take the time to research these factors and make your own educated decision if LL is something for you.  I've seen things change a lot in this forum world since 2009, lot's of energy being wasted in the wrong directions, flames started and even a new site put up with the exact same format.  I'm all for debate, but when your goal is to inspire negativity and even discouragement without the proper education and knowledge, you're bringing down our entire movement here.  I was even debating writing a diary at all, but then I realized that was being selfish.. I'm here to provide insight, guidance and inspiration to potential LLers.  And I've also found it helpful for myself during the lengthening process and beyond, words of encouragement from this community went a long way during some dark times.

That being said, I'll remind everyone of my measurements:

Starting height: 159cm
Current height: 170cm or 5'7"
Wingspan: 176.5cm or 5'9.5"
Weight: 77kg or 170lbs

Goal: 180cm or 5'11"

I originally thought I was over 171cm and had posted to that effect a few years ago.  But now that I confirmed my starting measurements, that would have been impossible being that I started just shy of 159cm.  So i'll revise my caption going forward, but hey, that will only be temporary as well Cool

So what else, let's see here.. I'll be in Neunkirchen for roughly 2 more weeks during the initial recovery phase and then moving over to Park Hotel in Weiskirchen for the bulk of my lengthening period.  I plan to fly back 6ix side in mid-late July where i'll finish clicking and make plans for locked titanium tibia implants post lengthening.  I'm shooting for early-mid September to get those swapped out.  Full weight-bearing is possible within a few days and i'm off living my 5'11" life.

Seems simple enough eh?  In theory my friends, only in theory..  I was recently reminded by a close friend of mine the extreme psychological and physiological anguish LL can subject you to.  It's not an easy task by any means, but the end does justify the means.  Hell yes it does!  At 5'7" i'm considered average-low height for my ethnicity and geographical region.  But at 5'11" things will certainly change in my world, drastically!

I'll spend more time in other posts discussing post LL flexibility, psychology and even self-love.  These things need to be cultivated even before the lengthening process ends or for that matter, begins.  Because when all is said and done, when you've reached your goals and the voice inside your head asks "Are you finally happy with yourself now?"  The answer should be an emphatic "YES!" without hesitation.  I'm working on this myself, not quite there yet.

Wish me luck folks, tmrw is a huge day for me!
Warm regards to you all once again.

Prost,
6ix side formally known as t.dot..

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:27:46 PM by t.dot » Logged

+20.5cm, now standing at 179.5cm & lovin every minute of it..
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 10:39:36 PM »

Nice. Another dual lengthener telling their tale. Would you mind if I break this post out into a new diary? Do you want me to actually change your name? Cheers. Smiley
6ix Side
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 132

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 05:03:22 AM »

Nice. Another dual lengthener telling their tale. Would you mind if I break this post out into a new diary? Do you want me to actually change your name? Cheers. Smiley

Hey Sys long time bud, just about to get my legs shaved lol.  Good idea, let's start another thread with a new title.. "6ix side's quest for the holy grail with Dr. Betz in Deutschland.. (formerly known as t.dot)"

I actually would like to change my alias for 2 reasons, the first is Toronto is no longer being called "t.dot" that's an old moniker from the mid-late 2000s.  Now due to Drake's rise in the hip-hop ranks, he's popularized Toronto as "the 6ix".  And since i'm born and raised Torontonian, it seems only fitting to keep up with the times.  And secondly, i'll be damn close to achieving 6 feet.. so hells ya let's switch it up!

Wish me luck guys, about to get this party started!
I'll update once i'm out of surgery.

Prost!
6ix side

Tall
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 374

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 05:38:46 AM »

Hey Sys long time bud, just about to get my legs shaved lol.  Good idea, let's start another thread with a new title.. "6ix side's quest for the holy grail with Dr. Betz in Deutschland.. (formerly known as t.dot)"

I actually would like to change my alias for 2 reasons, the first is Toronto is no longer being called "t.dot" that's an old moniker from the mid-late 2000s.  Now due to Drake's rise in the hip-hop ranks, he's popularized Toronto as "the 6ix".  And since i'm born and raised Torontonian, it seems only fitting to keep up with the times.  And secondly, i'll be damn close to achieving 6 feet.. so hells ya let's switch it up!

Wish me luck guys, about to get this party started!
I'll update once i'm out of surgery.

Prost!
6ix side

Yes, yes, another dual lengthened in our club! God bless Bro! Can't wait to read your diary, welcome to the club. Give Dr. Betz my best!

Tall

6ix Side
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 132

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »

So I got out of surgery Wednesday afternoon and it's been quite challenging being stuck in bed and relying on the nursing staff who barely speak any English.  The view from my room makes up for this somewhat, take a peek:

Good news, Betz managed to remove all the titanium from the femur region but he really had to chisel and work the screws out which were completely intertwined with the bone.  This has left longer and noticeable scars as a result, and a very sore area where the rods were removed.  Also, he managed to implant the tibia Betzbone nail on the right side as well, so i'm 75% complete in terms of this procedure.  Next week the left side goes in and then i'm ready to lengthen!

It's funny the left side seems more shaky and painful and only the titanium was removed, the physio lady seems to think there's a hematoma trapped between the quads and the bone which is causing pressure and pain when I walk, but the good thing is it's improving already.  I have full flexion on the right side and the drain should be coming off today, I even managed to walk around for a bit in a walker but that was really tough and I doubt I would have been able to this if both tibs were done.  

So what else folks?  Any questions for me? I know i've been off the boards for a while now and haven't been around to discuss my post lengthening life because i've been living it!  Can't blame me for that Tongue  Anyhoo, i'm around now and willing to share my story in depth so feel free to ask away.

Yes, yes, another dual lengthened in our club! God bless Bro! Can't wait to read your diary, welcome to the club. Give Dr. Betz my best!

Tall

Good to be back Tall, always appreciated the blessings and support throughout my times.. you da man!

6ix side aka t.dot
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:54:11 PM by t.dot » Logged

Joe2000
Certified Member
MMT Member

Credibility -1

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 09:52:49 PM »

Im glad to see you doing well. Anyway I just notice how ridiculous you arm-span is compare to you initial height. Quite unusual I must say. Just out of curiosity, what is your sitting height? I know its not the most important of LL journey and Im far from being a proportion nazi but I would love to know it Smiley Thanks.
Apotheosis
International Underwear Model :P
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 387

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 05:14:41 AM »

Hey man. It's great to see you back and I applaud you taking your second journey. It won't be easy, but in life rewards come with risks, and that is definitely the story when it comes to LL.

Switching to titanium rods after you finishing lengthening your tibias is a good idea. I wish I had done though, but I thought I was superman and the speed at which femurs consolidate makes us all think that our tibias can't be far behind. Which they will be. LOL. They consolidate sooooo slowly compared to femurs, but with fixed titanium rods in your tibias you won't have to worry about that. Smiley

Lengthening 10 CM in my tibias was a lot easier than lengthening 10 CM in my femurs as far as pain was concerned, but it took longer to lengthen because I proceeded very slowly to help prevent equinus contracture. It's so easy to look back now and know what I should have done differently, but you are a lot wiser than I was so you should be fine. Congrats on taking the plunge.

Apotheosis

My personal apotheosis to the very best me I can be. Starting height: 171 cm. 9.5+ cm added to femurs. 10.5+ cm added to tibias. Final Height: 189.5 cm +/-

My femur diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,3530.0.html
My tibia diary: http://www.makemetaller.org/index.php/topic,4202.0.h
6ix Side
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 132

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 07:45:28 AM »

Im glad to see you doing well. Anyway I just notice how ridiculous you arm-span is compare to you initial height. Quite unusual I must say. Just out of curiosity, what is your sitting height? I know its not the most important of LL journey and Im far from being a proportion nazi but I would love to know it Smiley Thanks.

Hey Slawek,

I actually haven't measured my sitting height but it's not very tall I can say for sure, I always notice while sitting on stools in bars i'm approx. the avg. women's sitting height.  But I do have a friend that's close to 185cm and his sitting height is only a couple cms taller than mine, but it could be his posture as well.  So when my procedure is done, i'll definitely be bottom heavy to say the least.. I'll try my best to work my gluteus region once i'm recovered to increase sitting height similar to Apo but it won't be easy.  Worst case I can do an ass implant lol!  Just kidding, i'll survive at 5'11" and make sure i'm standing mostly when harassing the ladies  Grin

I will double check that for my own knowledge though, would be good to know.  I'll update you once I have that measurement.

6ix side

Jessie-Believer
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »

Hey 6ix :)

Great to hear your operation went fine! Hope the next one will too. 

I actually have a question maybe at SisOp. . . I did LL too and want to share my experiences.  Can I also make a new topic?

Looking forward to your next posts!

Greetz

JB
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 05:00:56 PM »

Hey 6ix Smiley

Great to hear your operation went fine! Hope the next one will too. 

I actually have a question maybe at SisOp. . . I did LL too and want to share my experiences.  Can I also make a new topic?

Looking forward to your next posts!

Greetz

JB

Sure. I can start a diary for you. Which doctor did you choose, which bone are you lengthening, and when did you start? Cheers.
Jessie-Believer
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 09:07:59 AM »

Hey! Did with dr Betz both femurs and did 8 cm.  already wrote a text, but didn't know where to post Wink
Jessie-Believer
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »

Quote from: Jessie-Believer link=topic=8006. msg107979#msg107979 date=1462871279
Hey! Did with dr Betz both femurs and did 8 cm.   already wrote a text, but didn't know where to post Wink

Sorry, started in Jan 2016
6ix Side
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 132

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 12:11:51 PM »

Hey man. It's great to see you back and I applaud you taking your second journey. It won't be easy, but in life rewards come with risks, and that is definitely the story when it comes to LL.

Switching to titanium rods after you finishing lengthening your tibias is a good idea. I wish I had done though, but I thought I was superman and the speed at which femurs consolidate makes us all think that our tibias can't be far behind. Which they will be. LOL. They consolidate sooooo slowly compared to femurs, but with fixed titanium rods in your tibias you won't have to worry about that. Smiley

Lengthening 10 CM in my tibias was a lot easier than lengthening 10 CM in my femurs as far as pain was concerned, but it took longer to lengthen because I proceeded very slowly to help prevent equinus contracture. It's so easy to look back now and know what I should have done differently, but you are a lot wiser than I was so you should be fine. Congrats on taking the plunge.

Apotheosis

Apo my man!  I tell you honestly, you're my inspiration for taking the plunge with the tibs.  You sacrificed a lot with kids at home and doing your uppers and lowers in sequence, you're an amazing human being and I can't thank you enough for sharing your experiences in such detail.  I've been hearing from a few folks that have done tibias successfully that it's a lot easier after the 1st couple weeks of initial healing and the clicking is a breeze compared to femurs (less musculature to fight against).  So i'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that's the case!  Any input you can offer, things you could have done differently, etc. would be more than welcome. 

I'm going for broke brother!  180-181cm or bust, thanks for holding the torch for us  Cheesy

6ix side formerly known as t.dot

6ix Side
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 132

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 04:10:02 PM »

Update 5.13.2016

Way overdue for an update folks, my apologies for the delay.  I've had a couple of really rough nights since the 2nd tibia Betzbone went in on Wednesday, crazy pain the likes that took me back to the worst of my femur lengthening days.  Still fighting some knee and shin pain with the new implant but it's improved considerably and I can actually post.

I was also having trouble exporting pics from my phone but I finally resolved that today updating my firmware.  So here are a few shots after the titanium was removed last week and the first tibia implant went in on my right side:

The scars left from the titanium are going to be bad, but again that was my mistake waiting so long to come back and get the rods removed.  As some of you know, I was running a foot clinic and my time off was scarce to say the least, so a surgery vacation was low on the priority list.  When I thought of vacation, I was thinking a beach and some beauties!  But we'll see how bad the scars heal long term, if anyone has any suggestions of a good scar removal cream or treatment, please let me know.

So it looks like i'm through the worst of it for now, pain levels are medium still but bearable.  I have a few more days at the Komfortclinic and then i'm off to the Park Hotel in Weiskirchen, which i'm really looking forward to.

And last but not least, I did my first clicks for my right side yesterday and today.  I started off with an initial distraction of 3mm on my right leg and Prof Betz did 13 clicks on my right side to start me off + 16 more myself in the last 2 days.  So I'm taller guys!!  Almost half a .5cm on my right and I got a little extra on my left 4mm during surgery so I'm not too far off left to right.

So the lengthening journey now begins.. clicking, stretching, physio, eat, sleep, clicking, stretching, physio, eat, sleep, and so on.

I haven't had any questions recently from anyone, feel free my friends.  There's been much less documented tibia lengthening stories in comparison with femurs so don't be shy, ask away.

6ix side aka t.dot

Jessie-Believer
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 06:00:12 AM »

Hey 6ix!

Congrats again! I can def.  suggest a scar creme called "Contractubex".  It worked perfectly for me.  I could literally feel the scar disappearing.  But let your new scars heal for some time and then start using it. 

I'm in my recovery from both femurs now.  How long did you need to recover until you could walk without crutches? Was your gait normal at some time or could you notice a difference? And last: Do you have any special exercise for my IT-Band/Duck ass? This is actually the only real thing that holds me back from a good gait.

Thanks so much and good luck for your onstanding journey :)

JB
10plus
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 01:38:18 AM »

Hello 6ix,

Congratulations on making it this far.  It has been some time since you posted last  so I wanted to ask how everything is as you said you had a few rough nights?

I too contemplated tibia surgery with Prof.  Betz, and at that time he mentioned he would be implementing a new technique where he would cut the fascia wall from below the knee to just above the ankle to greatly reduce the risk of Compartment Syndrome, and the onset of nerve damage and foot drop, a symptom quite common in tibia patients yet seldom discussed on these forums.

There are other  doctors that will cut the fascia wall and perform a nerve release on both legs as precautionary measures these days. 

Do you know if your fascia was cut and did you have a nerve release on either of your legs since having the nails fitted in each tibia?

Please  keep the updates coming as there is little information out there recently for tibia internal ratchet type nails.

Keep it real  Cool

6ix Side
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 132

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 12:25:42 PM »

Hey 6ix!

Congrats again! I can def.  suggest a scar creme called "Contractubex".  It worked perfectly for me.  I could literally feel the scar disappearing.  But let your new scars heal for some time and then start using it.  

I'm in my recovery from both femurs now.  How long did you need to recover until you could walk without crutches? Was your gait normal at some time or could you notice a difference? And last: Do you have any special exercise for my IT-Band/Duck ass? This is actually the only real thing that holds me back from a good gait.

Thanks so much and good luck for your onstanding journey Smiley

JB

Hey JB,

Sorry for the late response, it`s been a difficult time recently for me.. I`ll go into that in my next update which will be later today.  In terms of recovery for femur lengthening, you have to continue physio and rehab for minimum 3-6 months after lengthening is complete to ensure the duckass and mechanical gait decreases.  My journey was a little different because I pretty much went straight into titaniums after lengthening and could walk without crutches.  My duckass luckily was minimal so all I had to do was work on my gait becoming more fluid and natural.  Initially, you`ll be walking like senior citizen who had both hips replaced with a nasty side-to-side waddle which you have to mentally defeat.  Start activating the quadriceps to lift the leg and plant the heel, forward motion rather than side-to-side.  It`s really tricky to get past the waddling within the first few weeks, that`s where getting physio and someone experienced on strengthening and stretching the hip flexors, IT bands, quadriceps, hamstrings, and even the calves comes in.  The iliopsoas muscles or hip flexors really play a big part in duckass posture, so if you`re having a hard time finding a good physio while recovering, then try to google or youtube iliopsoas stretches to target this small muscle group and hopefully you can tackle that stubborn ass  Grin

In terms of athleticism and flexibility, it`s an uphill battle once your gait is relatively normal or passable.  Don`t expect everything to just become flexible on it`s own, that won`t happen.  You have to continue to work on your strength and endurance nonstop to even consider playing competitive sports or martial arts, etc.  I attempted to start up kung fu again 6 months after recovering completely and it was way too much for me, I was dying after the first session - it felt like my leg muscles were going to tear with the amount of movement that was required.  You need to commit yourself entirely like Apo to get athletic prowess back within a decent timeframe.  I was working pretty long hours so I could only workout 2-3x week with a trainer, so it took me much longer to get strong enough to consider running, biking or any high-impact activity.  

I hope I answered your question and thanks for the scar cream suggestion, will take a look if I can order back home in the 6ix.

6ix side

6ix Side
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 132

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 12:47:45 PM »

Hello 6ix,

Congratulations on making it this far.  It has been some time since you posted last  so I wanted to ask how everything is as you said you had a few rough nights?

I too contemplated tibia surgery with Prof.  Betz, and at that time he mentioned he would be implementing a new technique where he would cut the fascia wall from below the knee to just above the ankle to greatly reduce the risk of Compartment Syndrome, and the onset of nerve damage and foot drop, a symptom quite common in tibia patients yet seldom discussed on these forums.

There are other  doctors that will cut the fascia wall and perform a nerve release on both legs as precautionary measures these days.  

Do you know if your fascia was cut and did you have a nerve release on either of your legs since having the nails fitted in each tibia?

Please  keep the updates coming as there is little information out there recently for tibia internal ratchet type nails.

Keep it real  Cool

Hey 10plus,

Compartment syndrome is a serious risk when considering tibia surgery.  What Prof. Betz is doing now is anterior fasciotomy that releases pressure from the anterior tibialis muscle and the smaller nerve stems across the anterior compartment.  I had both fascias cut in order to reduce this risk and i`m out of the hotzone in terms of compartment syndrome.  Within the first 48 hours they monitor foot dorsiflexion 2-3x daily to see if the nerves are functioning adequately and of course keeping an eye on the drainage of plasma and serum (you wake up with 2 hoses on each leg attached to the tibia region for drainage and swelling control).  Once you`re past the 48 hour mark and the drains are removed, the risk of compartment syndrome is pretty much down to nil.

Some other juicy tidbits for tibia lengthening to note are the following which you may or may not know already.. In order to implant the lengthening nails, the patella tendon has be cut vertically to gain access to the proximal end of the tibia.  A total of 7 screws are installed on each implant to secure positioning and function.. 3 proximally, roughly 10cm under the tibial head and 3 distally above the malleoli, the last one secures the tibia to the fibula which guides the boney growth of the fibula which is not fixated at all otherwise.

Prof. Betz in my opinion is the best surgeon for internal leg lengthening.  The combination of his experience and good nature makes him the best choice for femur or tibia internals, he is patient and understands the LL process extremely well.  The costs may be higher in Germany to live and for surgery fees, etc. but you`re paying for his experience and ability to fix problems on the fly which other surgeons may not be able to do.

I`ve learned the hard way that cutting costs when it comes to your health or body will always come back to haunt you, if you`re going to take the plunge and put your body at risk then I`m of the contention that you should mitigate that risk by getting the best possible surgeon to do the job, it`s only logical.

I hope that gives you some food for thought.  I got interesting update coming about my current situation, so stay tuned...

6ix side
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:54:32 PM by 6ix Side » Logged

Jessie-Believer
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 12:54:51 PM »

Hey 6ix,

thaks for the long reply and your helpful suggestions. I'm really intor stretching at leat 2-3 times a day since operation now. Bought me a bike right after coming home and started cycling appr. 30 minutes per day. So I hope this helps me to recover from my atrophy + drinking protein shakes every day. Let's see how long I will take, but I can see the improvements every week. Don't need to be strong at all, but need to walk normal for work hopefully until the next 4 months.

So recover well and I'm happy to read your posts again.

JB
10plus
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 12:08:02 PM »

Hello 6ix side,

Thank you for your response and insightful information.  We both lengthened similar amounts on our femurs with Prof.  Betz. 

If possible could we skype or could I email you directly as I am contemplating internal tibia LLing.

Thanks

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.