MMT Community
July 21, 2017, 06:52:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Words of wisdom from sna78:
"Pain is temporary, height is forever!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6ix Side - Internal Tibias - 2016 - Dr. Betz - Quest for the Holy Grail!  (Read 13122 times)
wavecrasher89
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2016, 12:07:03 AM »

As always, appreciate your insight on this 6ix side! Glad to hear that you are done with lengthening and consolidation has FINALLY begun! I know it must feel like forever; but man you are a WARRIOR...when this is all done, you will be better & happier...all the girls in the 6 better watch out  Grin

Happy to set up a meet since we are both from the same city. I can't seem to send you a PM for some reason; I guess you are not allowed to send PMs unless you have been posting here for a while. Can you send me your email address (via PM/email) and we can go from there.

All the best man,
Waves
wavecrasher89
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 08:00:42 PM »

Hey 6ix,

Not sure if you have been on here for the past little while. I had a few questions I wanted to ask you in private, but haven't been able to connect with you (because you can't send private messages here). Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to keep a journal and posting your experiences on the forums. I know it can be frustrating to have to defend yourself against people who are extremely biased/don't know what they are talking about. Nevertheless, you have helped many of us (including myself) by giving us an inside look on the whole LL process and giving us the knowledge to make better decisions.

I am seriously contemplating on the femur surgery with Dr. Betz for the femur surgery and one of my biggest concerns with internal LL or any type of LL is the long-term complications. I am not talking about things like infections, broken nails & screws, non-union, nerve & blood vessel damage, pre-mature consolidation. I understand there is a risk with any type of procedure, but with an experienced surgeon like Dr. Betz, these risks can be minimized. What I am concerned is about are long term effects on your body once you are fully recovered. I am referring to things like tightness in your muscles (flexion contracture), back pains, arthritis and etc. I would think that because you are stretching your nerves, blood vessels, and muscles/tendons by such a large extent, you would run into these problems.

Have you had any problems since consolidation & recovery (with your femurs)? Given your medical background and previous experiences as a patient, it would be great if you could share your knowledge and thoughts on this. I know this is something I should discuss with the doctor, but it would be great to get a third-personís (past patientís) thoughts on this matter as well.

Thanks so much & Happy new year!
6ix Side
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 132

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2017, 04:16:19 AM »

Update: 2.7.2017

Hey folks, long time!  I was planning to post an update after titaniums went in on Nov 30, but the pain was much more than expected and as soon I got back to Toronto, I was swamped with year-end work.  The good news is, i'm much better now.. it's been about 9 weeks since I had the procedure and it's been an uphill battle.  Unlike femur LL, Betz has to cut the patella tendon for a second time to insert solid titanium nails, and drill a new set of holes to secure the nails.  I was hoping since I already had scar tissue on the patella tendon from the initial surgery (when Betzbone nails were implanted) it would be easier this time around.. I was sadly mistaken, it was just as nasty as the first time it was cut.  And besides that, the impact on the body was considerable, took a good 2-3 weeks to discontinue painkillers and all other meds.  I'm happy to say, I've weened myself off everything and there wasn't much withdrawal.  I already began tapering dosages towards the end of my clicking phase for the sake of my poor liver.  Tibia LL is a much longer process and taking pain meds over such a long period can be risky as well, so I started early.

Moving along, I've continued my weekly physio and massage routines but reduced the frequency (2x physio, 1x massage).  I'm also able to get my feet flat on the ground and take a proper height measurement.  Drum roll please...... 179.5cm final height!  Let's just call it 180cm Wink  In-frickin-credible boys and girls!  I'm over the moon with this last LL chapter and very pleased with my proportions, my height is only 3 cms over my armspan which doesn't show at all.

The biggest challenge is getting off the crutches at this point, i'm much more stable with titaniums in place and I'm able to walk or waddle around without support, but because of muscle atrophy in the quads, hips and glutes, I actually look like senior citizen with a double hip replacement when I try Undecided  but it's getting better on a weekly basis.  I remember back when I had femur titaniums implanted, it only took 8-9 weeks to get a decent gait going, i'd say close to 80-85% normal - it was passable.  With tibs, because the lengthening process was so much longer (more atrophy) and the fact that i'm almost a decade older, recovery is taking much longer.  I'm hoping I can shed the crutches completely after my fibula fixation screws are removed which is scheduled for early next month (16 weeks after I finished clicking as recommended by Betz).  These screws have already started to move and click because of the motion between the tib and fib during gait.  In terms of flexibility and ballerina foot, etc. all is back to normal for the most part.  The smaller intrinsic muscles in the foot are still tight but no cramps or contractures to note.  Even my right foot which was supinated badly, has improved by almost 80%.  

Here's a pic of the Xrays taken a couple days after titaniums went in.. you can actually see where the previous screw holes were and the solid, dense nature of the nail in comparison to the distraction nail.  Pretty cool stuff.

I got a chance to speak with Waves on the phone recently regarding his questions below, but I think it's important to share this with the forum as well.

I am seriously contemplating on the femur surgery with Dr. Betz for the femur surgery and one of my biggest concerns with internal LL or any type of LL is the long-term complications. I am not talking about things like infections, broken nails & screws, non-union, nerve & blood vessel damage, pre-mature consolidation. I understand there is a risk with any type of procedure, but with an experienced surgeon like Dr. Betz, these risks can be minimized. What I am concerned is about are long term effects on your body once you are fully recovered. I am referring to things like tightness in your muscles (flexion contracture), back pains, arthritis and etc. I would think that because you are stretching your nerves, blood vessels, and muscles/tendons by such a large extent, you would run into these problems.

Have you had any problems since consolidation & recovery (with your femurs)? Given your medical background and previous experiences as a patient, it would be great if you could share your knowledge and thoughts on this. I know this is something I should discuss with the doctor, but it would be great to get a third-personís (past patientís) thoughts on this matter as well.

The long term complications I would say is muscle stiffness if you don't continue physical therapy and training.  I noticed after my first LL chapter with femurs, the last 10% of muscle function was the hardest to achieve and maintain.  It took an extra couple years to really get back optimal muscle function, but then again I wasn't very dedicated in my recovery routine.. It should have been much faster but due to work and personal factors, I didn't prioritize this.  I figured due to the fact that I wasn't a competitive athlete and I had pretty much given up on martial arts because my flexibility was so terrible, I was just happy with walking relatively normally.  But this was a bad approach.. as we get older, we naturally lose elasticity throughout all musculature in the body, especially when you're not active.  If we compound LL without a dedicated recovery routine, there could be further issues with muscle function and tightness later in life, in comparison to someone who has done minimal lengthening or no LL at all.  When I hired a personal trainer to get back the lost function and flexibility almost a year after the fact, I was able to get closer to the 100% mark and could really see the overall improvement, less robotic and more natural motion.  I continued this routine and training for years after.. right before I came back to Germany for tibiae LL, I was in the best shape of my life - but it took time and dedication to get there.  

Well, that's it for now folks.. a belated Happy New Year to all from da 6ix!

Cheers,
6ix side

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:33:56 AM by 6ix Side » Logged

+20.5cm, now standing at 179.5cm & lovin every minute of it..
Tall
LL Hero
MMT Expert

Credibility 375

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2017, 05:32:41 AM »

Hey folks, long time!  I was planning to post an update after titaniums went in on Nov 30, but the pain was much more than expected and as soon I got back to Toronto, I was swamped with year-end work.  The good news is, i'm much better now.. it's been about 9 weeks since I had the procedure and it's been an uphill battle.  Unlike femur LL, Betz has to cut the patella tendon for a second time to insert solid titanium nails, and drill a new set of holes to secure the nails.  I was hoping since I already had scar tissue on the patella tendon from the initial surgery (when Betzbone nails were implanted) it would be easier this time around.. I was sadly mistaken, it was just as nasty as the first time it was cut.  And besides that, the impact on the body was considerable, took a good 2-3 weeks to discontinue painkillers and all other meds.  I'm happy to say, I've weened myself off everything and there wasn't much withdrawal.  I already began tapering dosages towards the end of my clicking phase for the sake of my poor liver.  Tibia LL is a much longer process and taking pain meds over such a long period can be risky as well, so I started early.

Moving along, I've continued my weekly physio and massage routines but reduced the frequency (2x physio, 1x massage).  I'm also able to get my feet flat on the ground and take a proper height measurement.  Drum roll please...... 179.5cm final height!  Let's just call it 180cm Wink  In-frickin-credible boys and girls!  I'm over the moon with this last LL chapter and very pleased with my proportions, my height is only 3 cms over my armspan which doesn't show at all.

The biggest challenge is getting off the crutches at this point, i'm much more stable with titaniums in place and I'm able to walk or waddle around without support, but because of muscle atrophy in the quads, hips and glutes, I actually look like senior citizen with a double hip replacement when I try Undecided  but it's getting better on a weekly basis.  I remember back when I had femur titaniums implanted, it only took 8-9 weeks to get a decent gait going, i'd say close to 80-85% normal - it was passable.  With tibs, because the lengthening process was so much longer (more atrophy) and the fact that i'm almost a decade older, recovery is taking much longer.  I'm hoping I can shed the crutches completely after my fibula fixation screws are removed which is scheduled for early next month (16 weeks after I finished clicking as recommended by Betz).  These screws have already started to move and click because of the motion between the tib and fib during gait.  In terms of flexibility and ballerina foot, etc. all is back to normal for the most part.  The smaller intrinsic muscles in the foot are still tight but no cramps or contractures to note.  Even my right foot which was supinated badly, has improved by almost 80%.  

Here's a pic of the Xrays taken a couple days after titaniums went in.. you can actually see where the previous screw holes were and the solid, dense nature of the nail in comparison to the distraction nail.  Pretty cool stuff.

I got a chance to speak with Waves on the phone recently regarding his questions below, but I think it's important to share this with the forum as well.

The long term complications I would say is muscle stiffness if you don't continue physical therapy and training.  I noticed after my first LL chapter with femurs, the last 10% of muscle function was the hardest to achieve and maintain.  It took an extra couple years to really get back optimal muscle function, but then again I wasn't very dedicated in my recovery routine.. It should have been much faster but due to work and personal factors, I didn't prioritize this.  I figured due to the fact that I wasn't a competitive athlete and I had pretty much given up on martial arts because my flexibility was so terrible, I was just happy with walking relatively normally.  But this was a bad approach.. as we get older, we naturally lose elasticity throughout all musculature in the body, especially when you're not active.  If we compound LL without a dedicated recovery routine, there could be further issues with muscle function and tightness later in life, in comparison to someone who has done minimal lengthening or no LL at all.  When I hired a personal trainer to get back the lost function and flexibility almost a year after the fact, I was able to get closer to the 100% mark and could really see the overall improvement, less robotic and more natural motion.  I continued this routine and training for years after.. right before I came back to Germany for tibiae LL, I was in the best shape of my life - but it took time and dedication to get there.  

Cheers,
6ix side

Nicely done my LLing Brother! Congrats on almost being done. When you get your tib nails out you will get all flexibility back. Welcome to the tall club!

Joe2000
Certified Member
MMT Member

Credibility -1

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »

Cheers,
6ix side

Great to hear that everything went ok.

Is there a reason why the left leg is missing the bottom screw?
Bunny
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2017, 11:15:27 AM »

Hi,

I'm really sorry to bother you with a message that isn't relevant to what you've posted.  However, I am new to this site and am trying to figure out how to post/start my own LL diary, and I simply cannot find the button/method that let's me create a new post.  I have even emailed the website, but have received no reply.  If you could please just let me know how one goes about starting a new post/thread, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Bunny
Rongjie
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2017, 08:18:23 PM »

I just have a question guys.  I wanted to do internal femurs with Dr.  Betz and I emailed him but he didn't reply.  What is the best way to contact Dr.  Betz and is he retired yet? Also, when will he be retired because I'm thinking of doing the surgery 5 years later. 
Joe2000
Certified Member
MMT Member

Credibility -1

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 11:13:35 PM »

call him
6ix Side
LL Veteran
MMT Member

Credibility 132

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2017, 02:12:48 AM »

Nicely done my LLing Brother! Congrats on almost being done. When you get your tib nails out you will get all flexibility back. Welcome to the tall club!

Thanks Tall!  Appreciate the well wishes my brother and it feels great to be in the club finally!  Did you mean flexibility will come back after the fibula screws are removed?  I'm seriously hoping so.

Great to hear that everything went ok.

Is there a reason why the left leg is missing the bottom screw?

Hey Joe, had the same question when I saw the Xrays for the first time.  For some reason, Betz used a different fixation point at the proximal end of the nail (above the ankle) for the right side.  If you look closely between the 2 screws that secure the nail, there's a 3rd one in the middle that's securing the fibula (you can only see the head because of the Xray angle).  The left side has it's own screw outside of the nail area closer to the ankle which is clearly visible and looks a bit lonely lol.  I asked why he did that and I didn't get a clear understanding as to why, but I guess it was a game time decision when surgery was done.

You also asked me about sitting height a couple times and I finally got around to checking it.. i'm 84cm seated at the moment.  This may be a bit lower than my peak because of atrophy in the glutes and hamstrings.  I should have taken a measurement prior to starting my tibia LL journey.

I just have a question guys.  I wanted to do internal femurs with Dr.  Betz and I emailed him but he didn't reply.  What is the best way to contact Dr.  Betz and is he retired yet? Also, when will he be retired because I'm thinking of doing the surgery 5 years later. 

Betz should be around for a few more years at least.  I'm thinking until he hits 70-75, he'll be going strong (currently mid 60s from what I was told).  Keep emailing him and you should hear back soon.

As for me, another 10 days has passed and I'm feeling great!  Getting some new Xrays done this week which I'll be sure to post so you can follow my consolidation progress.. it's roughly 13 weeks post titanium swap.

That's all for now!

Cheers,
6ix side

+20.5cm, now standing at 179.5cm & lovin every minute of it..
Joe2000
Certified Member
MMT Member

Credibility -1

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2017, 02:45:51 AM »

Thanks Tall!  Appreciate the well wishes my brother and it feels great to be in the club finally!  Did you mean flexibility will come back after the fibula screws are removed?  I'm seriously hoping so.

Hey Joe, had the same question when I saw the Xrays for the first time.  For some reason, Betz used a different fixation point at the proximal end of the nail (above the ankle) for the right side.  If you look closely between the 2 screws that secure the nail, there's a 3rd one in the middle that's securing the fibula (you can only see the head because of the Xray angle).  The left side has it's own screw outside of the nail area closer to the ankle which is clearly visible and looks a bit lonely lol.  I asked why he did that and I didn't get a clear understanding as to why, but I guess it was a game time decision when surgery was done.

You also asked me about sitting height a couple times and I finally got around to checking it.. i'm 84cm seated at the moment.  This may be a bit lower than my peak because of atrophy in the glutes and hamstrings.  I should have taken a measurement prior to starting my tibia LL journey.

Betz should be around for a few more years at least.  I'm thinking until he hits 70-75, he'll be going strong (currently mid 60s from what I was told).  Keep emailing him and you should hear back soon.

As for me, another 10 days has passed and I'm feeling great!  Getting some new Xrays done this week which I'll be sure to post so you can follow my consolidation progress.. it's roughly 13 weeks post titanium swap.

That's all for now!

Cheers,
6ix side

Thanks for providing sitting height. That's the one thing I was really concern myself. My starting height was 166 and now I'm 170 cm with 86 cm in sitting height. I actually gives me some hope to do my femurs and reach 175 cm.
Also I have to admit that your proportions are quire remarkable. 176 cm wingspan at you initial height seems fairly uncommon.
If its no too much to ask, would be able to provide some photos while you stand?
Camoflazh9306
MMT Member

Credibility 4

Waiting....

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2017, 11:46:04 AM »

Awesome.

Current height: 5'6''     Aim: 6 ft
around7
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 16

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »

For those who lengrhened both bones, wich one is easier with betznail, femur or tibia?
I did femur 6 years ago, only had difficulties in the first 2 weeks, because of clickings... after it was a soft journey.
Also about tibias lenghtening, what is the % of patients that put titanium nails inside after lengthening? Is it more common when we are talking about tibias? Is it worth?
temple2infinity
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2017, 11:38:14 PM »

I'll be doing tibias with Dr Betz in May 2017, how long did it take you to get back to walking without crutches or assistance?
aplane
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »

Congrats on the height increase! To go from 159 to 180 like that is amazing.  Were your arms always that long? I'm 170 now and would love to get to at least 178 with femurs, though everyone says mobility is at least somewhat permanently impaired and I already can't touch my toes haha.
around7
LL Patient
MMT Contributor

Credibility 16

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »

Mobility gets normal with time
temple2infinity
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2017, 09:54:49 PM »

Quote from: SysOp link=topic=8006. msg107970#msg107970 date=1462726856
Sure.  I can start a diary for you.  Which doctor did you choose, which bone are you lengthening, and when did you start? Cheers.
Hey I'm doing my procedure with Dr.  Betz on May the 22nd, and I was wondering if I can be allowed to post and share my experience. 
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2017, 01:27:10 AM »

Hey I'm doing my procedure with Dr.  Betz on May the 22nd, and I was wondering if I can be allowed to post and share my experience. 

That would be great. Should I start a diary for you?
sunflower2
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »

Hey 6ix Side, It would be really good to get an update from you.  Im thinking of tibia surgery with Betz but theres very few diaries of tibias with him.  I hope you are well.
mixxed
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2017, 07:31:16 PM »

Hi when do you plan it?
Zeus
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2017, 05:29:32 AM »

Hey temple2infinity!

I've got my consultation with Betz in a couple of days and would love to ask you some questions since you seem to have started already. Smiley Can I get an email? Thanks!

Success is attained by sacrificing what you are, for what you will become.

Current Height: 170cm (5'7)
Future Height: 186cm (6'1)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.