MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 06:20:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Make Me Taller! This is the leading site for the discussion of Leg Lengthening on the Internet. Join now - the more contribute, the more you will benefit from being part of our community. Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yardbird's Bilateral Tibia Lengthening w/ Dr. Shahab Mahboubian, D.O. CA, USA  (Read 26219 times)
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 05:25:52 AM »

How did you experience heightism at 170?
  Sorry for all these questions. .  I am 171 myself and am just curious about other people experiences at my height.

Have a safe and quick lengthening

For most of my life, I've worked in academia ... and if that's all I ever wanted to do, 170 cm would probably be sufficient. However, after the age of 30, I became interested in expanding my social horizons a bit ... and that naturally brought me into increased competition with other males. In any human social interaction containing a competitive and or adversarial element, height is a significant advantage ... particularly if you're a man. Heightism is a real problem everywhere (although it seems to be most prevalent in wealthy, developed nations where people are afforded the luxury to be highly selective in their choice of mate), and there is no apparent solution to it. However, I want to emphasize that, after the first surgery, my desire to undergo additional lengthening was motivated much more by my own personal desire than by any social pressure exerted from outside of myself. In other words, I was interested in reaching my full potential for personal reasons, irrespective of what society considered to be "ideal." Your own experience is completely independent of my own. If you are comfortable with your height and feel happy and fulfilled in your life, there is no reason for you to undergo this procedure, since doing so exposes you to unnecessary health risks ...
TIBIKE2002
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 06:06:09 AM »

Hihi.  If I was content with my height I wouldnt be on this site.

I am also considering this.  For tibias and an amount of 5cm (to preserve proportions and functionality as much as possible).  That would take me to average height around most of the world (or 1-2cm below it which is not noticeble). 
  I never felt heightism from males or anything.  Although I am certain that being taller than 90% of women (and like 70% of them with heels) will make my already existing sex life much better.  It will also put me on par with other males in my family.

I dont know if I was ever rejected for my height (I can recall 1 time which my height was the obvious reason) but who knows. . .  People usually dont say out loud what they dont like about a potential mate in the face (atleast not me)
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 02:46:30 AM »

Hey Yardbird, good to hear your first post-op visit was good and confirmed that no screws are loose as you suspected.
Im curious about your lengthening rate of .25mm per session or .75 per day. Is this the rate for tibia or its specific to you?.
For my femurs, I did lengthen .33 per session or .99 per day.
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 10:38:46 AM »

Hey Yardbird, good to hear your first post-op visit was good and confirmed that no screws are loose as you suspected.
Im curious about your lengthening rate of .25mm per session or .75 per day. Is this the rate for tibia or its specific to you?.
For my femurs, I did lengthen .33 per session or .99 per day.

This is the rate for tibias. Tibias do not regenerate bone as quickly as do femurs. Therefore, the distraction rate is slower and the overall height gain is more limited. We have seen many cases of individuals lengthening their femurs 8 cm+ without complications. However, such a large gain is more difficult to achieve with the tibias.
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 09:49:43 PM »

I see. I've been sort of sort of concerned that given how fast my femur bones grew (even consolidating earlier), doing at rate of .25 on tibias would lead to another early consolidation but good to hear tibia bones grow slower.

How are you coming along so far? Any challenges, observations?
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 06:11:42 PM »

I see. I've been sort of sort of concerned that given how fast my femur bones grew (even consolidating earlier), doing at rate of .25 on tibias would lead to another early consolidation but good to hear tibia bones grow slower.

How are you coming along so far? Any challenges, observations?

Thanks for your post. I am now at 1 cm! It may not seem like much, but psychologically it's important. The "looseness" I described in my earlier post was actually the sensation of the broken ends of my bones sliding past each other during certain movements. Now that I have distracted 1 cm, this loose sensation has disappeared. I take this to mean that the broken ends of my tibias have now fully separated and are no longer in direct contact. Further evidence that the bones are distracting properly comes from a gradually increasing sensation of tightness in the soft tissues of my lower legs. Of course, I will be interested to obtain an actual visual when I have my first x rays on Tuesday of next week. I have been stretching regularly to reduce the resistance in my soft tissues and I am also using legs braces to keep my feet in a plantar flexed position during sleep. As others have suggested, soaking the lower legs in a hot bath is also therapeutic. I am very happy with the decision I made and the progress thus far. In my opinion, long tibias are what really produce the tall look. Although I lengthened my femurs over 7 cm, it is the tibia lengthening that will get me to the mountain top.
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 10:53:10 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Yardbird.
Given the slower rate of tibia lengthening, 1cm is good progress. Keep fighting :-).

I did, in fact, experience some rubbing sensations and sounds during the first weeks of my surgery but I didn't make too much of it. I just thought it was broken bones possibly touching each other and would stop with distraction - which it did. There was no pain but some sort of popping sound with certain movements.

cheers.
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2016, 02:26:10 AM »

Update:

It's been 1 month since my tibias operation. I took my first post operative x-rays last week, and Dr. M was very pleased with my bone growth. Because of this, I will be able to continue lengthening at a rate of 0.75 mm per day. My bone growth was very strong when I lengthened my femurs, so I had hoped for the best with my tibias. This is very good news. It means that I should be able to extend the lengthening beyond 5 cm. I am regularly stretching my soft tissues to stay ahead of knee bending and ballerina feet. My goal at present is 6.5 cm ... so far so good.
TIBIKE2002
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2016, 08:00:49 PM »

How much have you lengthened already? 1. 5cm?
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 02:52:14 AM »

How much have you lengthened already? 1. 5cm?

1.8 cm
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 12:50:38 AM »

Update:

Past 2 cm now and closing in on my first full inch on tibias. I can't stress enough the importance of stretching and physical exercise during this phase. The natural tendency is for the body to crawl up in bed and try to heal itself through rest. However, at the same time that the body is attempting to heal itself through rest, you are continually pulling the ends of your long bones further and further apart. This is why LL is often referred to as a "battle" or a "war." You have to fight hard against the grain for what you want, and your efforts must be sustained throughout. Added to this is the mental stress of being somewhat immobile for a few months. At first, it's kind of nice being off your feet ... like a little vacation. Eventually, it's no fun anymore and you would give anything just to walk across the room and pick something up off the floor. During these times, keep the end goal in mind. Try to enjoy the process and use the time in some productive way. This is NOT an easy journey. You must be prepared to summon the fighting spirit within yourself. Keep yourself clean and physically active to improve your mental state. As the saying goes, "When you look good, you feel good." I just shaved, took a hot bath with Epsom salts, and shampooed my hair under the bath faucet. Right now I feel about as good as one can feel in this particular state.
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 05:35:53 AM »

As always, great to hear your progress. Keep fighting.
jwalk707
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 04:09:46 AM »

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  I'm 36 years old and 5'2.  I live in Northern California and so desperately want to do LL with Dr.  Mahboubian as he's closest to me that does this and I'm not a rich guy who can afford to take all that time off after I use up all my sick leave, which is 8 weeks worth.  Dr.  M told me via email that I can go back to work in 2 weeks, which given the experiences I've read here, seems impossible.  I also, find it hard to see myself traveling back and forth every three weeks post-surgery.  I envy you guys that can afford that.  My only hope is that I get a loan from some company like loanme or SOFI and while that's possible, I still don't want to travel every three weeks.  Fortunately, I do have medical insurance and hope that can at least cover meds and PT.  Can you guys address some of these concerns I have? Thank you.

Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 05:11:54 AM »

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  I'm 36 years old and 5'2.  I live in Northern California and so desperately want to do LL with Dr.  Mahboubian as he's closest to me that does this and I'm not a rich guy who can afford to take all that time off after I use up all my sick leave, which is 8 weeks worth.  Dr.  M told me via email that I can go back to work in 2 weeks, which given the experiences I've read here, seems impossible.  I also, find it hard to see myself traveling back and forth every three weeks post-surgery.  I envy you guys that can afford that.  My only hope is that I get a loan from some company like loanme or SOFI and while that's possible, I still don't want to travel every three weeks.  Fortunately, I do have medical insurance and hope that can at least cover meds and PT.  Can you guys address some of these concerns I have? Thank you.

Thanks for your post. I can't speak for other patients, but I'm definitely not a rich guy. It took me several years to save the money to pay for this procedure, and I had to make a lot of personal sacrifices. If you have a steady, full-time job and good credit, you might consider applying for a loan. You can shop around online for the most favorable interest rate. If money is an issue, you might consider lengthening your tibias with the traditional external frames. I know that Dr. M has achieved excellent results with external fixators (read Feyth's diary). The external device has a long, proven track record and is probably among the safest and most reliable methods (though not necessarily the most comfortable). I understand that externals are about 20K cheaper than precice nails. You can reduce your costs even further if you pay the surgeon and hospital directly by cashier's check. I can tell you that I received 10% off both the surgeon and hospital fees by prepaying directly. When paying out of pocket, there is generally room for some negotiation on price. Whatever you decide, try to stay in the U.S. if possible. I've been all over the world investigating this, and I promise you that you will not find a higher standard of care anywhere else ...
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 04:06:34 AM »

jwalk707, to add to what yardbird said, I'd just like to mention that this surgery is a journey. Meaning that you have to really commit a few years to it ahead of time, especially with respect to money. Most of us who've done it aren't necessarily rich but the will and desire to do it drive us.

I for one had a two bed room aparment back in 2013 (also in north Cali) and I rented one room to a guy so that I could cut my rent in half. In addition to working as a software engineer during the day, I also drove for Uber and Lyft at night for three straight years in order to have more money after paying for the surgery because my job wasnt going to be a guarantee after 60 days.

Just as an idea, I raised $100, 000 between 2013 and 2016. Because my work wasn't able to wait for me for more than 60 days, I lost the position so i'm currently unemployed. At the moment, I rely on unemployment and some of my savings from the money raised as I look for work. I'm also planning to start driving for Uber again as I look for a full time Software Engineering job. I was 5' 5 1/2 '' so I really wanted to do this things which is why things like employment or loss of work didn't matter to me much. 

After twelve weeks (for femur lengthening) I felt like I was able to work comfortably as a Software Engineer.
Hope this helps you.
danniejoe26
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 04:38:19 AM »

jwalk707, to add to what yardbird said, I'd just like to mention that this surgery is a journey. Meaning that you have to really commit a few years to it ahead of time, especially with respect to money. Most of us who've done it aren't necessarily rich but the will and desire to do it drive us.

I for one had a two bed room aparment back in 2013 (also in north Cali) and I rented one room to a guy so that I could cut my rent in half. In addition to working as a software engineer during the day, I also drove for Uber and Lyft at night for three straight years in order to have more money after paying for the surgery because my job wasnt going to be a guarantee after 60 days.

Just as an idea, I raised $100, 000 between 2013 and 2016. Because my work wasn't able to wait for me for more than 60 days, I lost the position so i'm currently unemployed. At the moment, I rely on unemployment and some of my savings from the money raised as I look for work. I'm also planning to start driving for Uber again as I look for a full time Software Engineering job. I was 5' 5 1/2 '' so I really wanted to do this things which is why things like employment or loss of work didn't matter to me much. 

After twelve weeks (for femur lengthening) I felt like I was able to work comfortably as a Software Engineer.
Hope this helps you.

Why did you choose Dr. Mahboubian and not cheaper ones. Safety? Reading all the documentary I want to believe that the safety profile is almost the same across the board.

"Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that's the one that is going to help you grow.
jwalk707
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2016, 09:50:07 PM »

mgibson and yardbird, thank you for your responses.   I'm mentally, very determined to go through this procedure but external factors remain my barriers, aside from money of which I'll address by getting a loan.  For instance, why would Dr.  M tell me I can go back to work post surgery in two weeks when most of you here indicate otherwise? How long would one be able to drive again? What if you get PT through your insurance provider locally, how would they understand how to help a LL patient seeing how rare that is? I have yet to see answers to these rather big questions.  Thank you again, guys.
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2016, 10:22:41 PM »

mgibson and yardbird, thank you for your responses.   I'm mentally, very determined to go through this procedure but external factors remain my barriers, aside from money of which I'll address by getting a loan.  For instance, why would Dr.  M tell me I can go back to work post surgery in two weeks when most of you here indicate otherwise? How long would one be able to drive again? What if you get PT through your insurance provider locally, how would they understand how to help a LL patient seeing how rare that is? I have yet to see answers to these rather big questions.  Thank you again, guys.

If you're serious about this procedure, you need to schedule a consultation with Dr. M. Make a list of all the questions you have and bring it with you to your consultation. The doctor will answer all of your questions to your satisfaction. I don't want to provide you with false information regarding recovery time, etc. because I'm not a medical professional. From my own experience, I can say that it would be wise to save enough money to get you through at least a few months of down time following the surgery. Remember that this is a major procedure. It's not the kind of thing to do on a tight budget with time constraints. You are asking a lot of your body. You must give it adequate time and care to heal itself.
jwalk707
n00b

Credibility 0

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2016, 10:50:30 PM »

Quote from: Yardbird link=topic=8015. msg108255#msg108255 date=1466979761
If you're serious about this procedure, you need to schedule a consultation with Dr.  M.  Make a list of all the questions you have and bring it with you to your consultation.  The doctor will answer all of your questions to your satisfaction.  I don't want to provide you with false information regarding recovery time, etc.  because I'm not a medical professional.  From my own experience, I can say that it would be wise to save enough money to get you through at least a few months of down time following the surgery.  Remember that this is a major procedure.  It's not the kind of thing to do on a tight budget with time constraints.  You are asking a lot of your body.  You must give it adequate time and care to heal itself. 

Thanks again, yardbird.  Fortunately, I have paid sick leave that's currently up to 8 weeks worth so that can bide me some time.  I will schedule a consultation soon. 
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 01:39:00 AM »

Thanks again, yardbird.  Fortunately, I have paid sick leave that's currently up to 8 weeks worth so that can bide me some time.  I will schedule a consultation soon. 

That's good! Use all resources at your disposal. My job did not provide paid sick leave ... it is an excellent benefit to have!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.