MMT Community
January 21, 2019, 05:56:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Make Me Taller! This is the leading site for the discussion of Leg Lengthening on the Internet. Join now - the more you contribute, the more you will benefit from being part of our community - all are welcome.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yardbird's Bilateral Tibia Lengthening w/ Dr. Shahab Mahboubian, D.O. CA, USA  (Read 26217 times)
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2016, 02:11:31 AM »

Yardbird,
sorry to hear you had complications before your goal. As is in life, sometimes things arent always the way we envision them but through your writings, I've come to notice that you're a tough and determined guy and that you'll get through this eventually.

In my femur consolidation, I thought about re-breaking but dr. Mahboubian told me that the amount of height left to gain was quite small and may not be worth the re-break: I was at 6.8cm. In your case, its easy to see why you'd want to re-break. Wish you all the best and we'll keep praying for you as well.
Hopefully in 2-3 years time, when I plan to do my tibias, there will be some way (other than x-ray alone) to tell if premature consolidation is happening so it can be corrected ahead of time.  I believe this is weakness with the PRECICE method.

Thanks for your message. Maybe I'll run into you sometime at Dr. M's office. There were a few lengthening patients there this past Friday. It seems like the demand for this procedure is increasing! I hope that your recovery is going well and that you're enjoying your new height  Wink
mgibson77
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2016, 02:29:12 AM »

I'd love to run into you sometime but that seems unlikely since I'm done with lengthening. The next time I see the doctor is December 2016 - I started walking on June 17th, 2016. Maybe that's dr. M's system or maybe its because I performed and healed quite well so he doesn't feel its important to see me as often as other patient. In any case, I'd love to meet you some day, you've had quite an impression on me, to say the least.

How is how you doing with the second surgery?
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2016, 04:46:07 AM »

I'd love to run into you sometime but that seems unlikely since I'm done with lengthening. The next time I see the doctor is December 2016 - I started walking on June 17th, 2016. Maybe that's dr. M's system or maybe its because I performed and healed quite well so he doesn't feel its important to see me as often as other patient. In any case, I'd love to meet you some day, you've had quite an impression on me, to say the least.

How is how you doing with the second surgery?

Update:

I got some very good news today during my visit with Dr. M. I've reached 6 cm on my left tibia and 5.87 cm on my right! It will only take 3 more days to even out my legs ... and I'm considering stopping at that point with a 6 cm gain on both tibiae. Combined with my femurs, I have now lengthened 13 cm in total! As many others have expressed, I'm so happy that I did this ... but I'm happiest that it's all over! After being half a foot below the average male height throughout most of my 20's, it's difficult to describe the feeling of finally reaching an average height at the age of 33. It's ... unheard of. I'm finally who I should have been always, but wasn't. It feels wonderful. I'll always take excellent care of this body because everything about getting it was hard. My thanks to the members of this forum - particularly those early, pioneering diaries - that brought this procedure from the realm of science fiction to reality. If you absolutely must go through with this procedure, then I recommend it. However, be prepared for one of the most challenging and stressful experiences of your life. And if you must do it, hopefully you will only have to do it once! Twice is a bit much ... but I must say ... the end result looks fantastic! Good luck to you all ... and be safe!

-YB
TIBIKE2002
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2016, 07:07:01 AM »

Very happy for you man. Congrats
50can
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2016, 09:40:59 AM »

Congrats on your achievement! Better not be greedy and be proud of your achievement.

Did you experience any hair loss during the whole procedure (femurs as well as tibias)? If yes, what do you think was the reason for it and did it recover (after femurs were done)? If no, could you ask the Dr what he thinks is the best way to prevent that as some patients mentioned that it happened to them. Personally, I suspect it's because of the medication if you take it too long.
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2016, 08:35:52 AM »

Congrats on your achievement! Better not be greedy and be proud of your achievement.

Did you experience any hair loss during the whole procedure (femurs as well as tibias)? If yes, what do you think was the reason for it and did it recover (after femurs were done)? If no, could you ask the Dr what he thinks is the best way to prevent that as some patients mentioned that it happened to them. Personally, I suspect it's because of the medication if you take it too long.

Good question. I did experience some hair loss a few months after my femur lengthening. However, I can't be certain that it was related to the procedure. At that time, I was approaching 30, and most men begin to lose some hair at either 30 or 70 years of age. Most of the hair loss was around the temple region. My hair is still very thick on the top of my head and in the back. It is possible that this natural hair loss was accelerated by the trauma of surgery and the anesthesia administered. The good news is that hair loss can be addressed relatively cheaply and with minimal down time. Height, on the other hand, took me over a decade and a small fortune to correct! I have no regrets. I'm very happy with the result!
PaprikaLeapt
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2016, 12:52:29 AM »

Quote from: Yardbird link=topic=8015. msg108559#msg108559 date=1472632552
Good question.  I did experience some hair loss a few months after my femur lengthening.  However, I can't be certain that it was related to the procedure.  At that time, I was approaching 30, and most men begin to lose some hair at either 30 or 70 years of age.  Most of the hair loss was around the temple region.  My hair is still very thick on the top of my head and in the back.  It is possible that this natural hair loss was accelerated by the trauma of surgery and the anesthesia administered.  The good news is that hair loss can be addressed relatively cheaply and with minimal down time.  Height, on the other hand, took me over a decade and a small fortune to correct! I have no regrets.  I'm very happy with the result!

I've been reading the LL forum here and there for a while despite my post count. 

1.  Do you know of any patients who do things during lengthening perhaps some part time online work or tutoring here and there to soften the financial blow?

2.  What are some things you wish you had known about the area around the region where Dr.  M's patients are? In terms of things like finding good food, places to go while in a wheelchair, finding a good place to stay

3.  What would be your advice for finding a good caretaker to help you during the lengthening? Who's honest and has fair rates.  It seems like it would be easy for him to rob you and run during LL since you can't walk

4.  If you were to do LL twice with Dr.  M in succession, how much money would you budget in total? So for example, there would be less obvious costs for that route such as just living costs in between while you are healing between surgeries, perhaps saving money in case of complications for both (An additional 50k times two in addition to the cost of LL both times so 150k for each lengthening)?

5.  What did you do/would you recommend for entertainment during LL? Aside from netflix and youtube
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2016, 04:09:48 AM »

I've been reading the LL forum here and there for a while despite my post count. 

1.  Do you know of any patients who do things during lengthening perhaps some part time online work or tutoring here and there to soften the financial blow?

2.  What are some things you wish you had known about the area around the region where Dr.  M's patients are? In terms of things like finding good food, places to go while in a wheelchair, finding a good place to stay

3.  What would be your advice for finding a good caretaker to help you during the lengthening? Who's honest and has fair rates.  It seems like it would be easy for him to rob you and run during LL since you can't walk

4.  If you were to do LL twice with Dr.  M in succession, how much money would you budget in total? So for example, there would be less obvious costs for that route such as just living costs in between while you are healing between surgeries, perhaps saving money in case of complications for both (An additional 50k times two in addition to the cost of LL both times so 150k for each lengthening)?

5.  What did you do/would you recommend for entertainment during LL? Aside from netflix and youtube

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry I took so long to respond. I provided online tutoring during the lengthening phase to make some extra income. It would have been very difficult and exhausting for me to travel to a workplace during that time. However, you may feel well enough to work from home on your laptop. I wish I could give more information about the area surrounding Dr. M's office, but I didn't spend much time there. I live in a neighboring state, and traveled to LA only for the surgery and my post-op appointments. I rarely stayed overnight. If you chose to do LL in the U.S., I strongly recommend staying with a family member or close friend. This will provide a huge cost savings and guarantee your security. Alternatively, you might consider lengthening with Dr. Betz in Germany. As you may know from reading other patient diaries, Dr. Betz recommends a local residence for patients to stay. For a reasonable monthly fee, you will be safe and all of your needs will be taken care of. I believe that there are plans to establish a patient center in LA in the future, but no such similar residence exists as of yet. As far as the budget is concerned, you will discuss the cost during your initial consultation. Of course, it is best to prepare extra funds to cover any possible complications. I also recommend getting a health insurance plan if you don't already have one. Your pre-operative tests, x-rays, medications, and physical therapy costs may be covered by insurance. Everyone is different, but I didn't feel like doing much besides bicycling, sleeping, and watching movies/videos on my laptop during LL. I had plans to use the time in more productive ways (study a foreign language, learn to read music and play the piano, etc.), but the process takes a lot out of you, and you may find that you just don't have the energy to do very much until you're fully recovered.
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2016, 01:47:19 PM »

Update:

I'm coming up on 4 months since my tibia operation. I'm now about 2 weeks into the post lengthening phase. I ended up with a 6.5 cm gain. I couldn't be happier with the result. The recovery so far has been a real challenge. I have some ballerina foot and knee bending in both legs. My left leg is worse than my right. However, I notice a very gradual loosening of my muscles and tendons. I'm trying to stretch and walk as my as possible in order to eventually resume a normal, painless gait. During my last visit with Dr. M, I had some difficulty bringing my left ankle to the floor while in a standing position. He suggested that an IT band release might be necessary if the tightness does not subside with continued exercise. From reading many diaries, I've noticed that some patients had an IT band release performed during their initial surgery, with the goal of allowing for a larger gain while preventing over-extension of the soft tissues. If anyone had this procedure performed, I would be interested to know whether it allowed for a more rapid return to normal walking. I feel that my soft tissues will return to a more relaxed state eventually ... but this is definitely a long process. 
TIBIKE2002
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2016, 04:02:50 PM »

IT band for the tibias? Usually it is done for the femurs... For the tibias it is either achilles tendon lengthening or the gastrocnemius fascia release
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2016, 04:49:16 PM »

I believe you're correct. I am considering releasing the fascia during my screw removal operation. However, I need to review the literature to gain a perspective. It may be best to continue exercising my soft tissues and allow them to slowly adapt ... even if it's a slow process.
50can
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2016, 07:12:35 AM »

Good question. I did experience some hair loss a few months after my femur lengthening. However, I can't be certain that it was related to the procedure. At that time, I was approaching 30, and most men begin to lose some hair at either 30 or 70 years of age. Most of the hair loss was around the temple region. My hair is still very thick on the top of my head and in the back. It is possible that this natural hair loss was accelerated by the trauma of surgery and the anesthesia administered. The good news is that hair loss can be addressed relatively cheaply and with minimal down time. Height, on the other hand, took me over a decade and a small fortune to correct! I have no regrets. I'm very happy with the result!

So you think it's totally natural and MAYBE accelerated by the surgery....could you ask the Dr about the connection between hair loss and the surgery including pain medicine? All doctors I have asked so far deny or see no connection when in fact I have seen comparably many patients that complain about that side effect, from severe hair loss to minor.
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2016, 09:57:23 AM »

So you think it's totally natural and MAYBE accelerated by the surgery....could you ask the Dr about the connection between hair loss and the surgery including pain medicine? All doctors I have asked so far deny or see no connection when in fact I have seen comparably many patients that complain about that side effect, from severe hair loss to minor.

As I stated previously, I don't believe that hair loss is a direct result of this surgery. Obviously, hair loss can be accelerated by numerous factors ... but age and genetics are the main determinants. If you want to go through with this procedure, possible hair loss should not be your principle concern. It will be the least of your worries. If it happens, it happens. It can always be addressed later ...
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2016, 03:56:13 AM »

Update:

Hello all. I would like to continue posting throughout my recovery. As many others have noted, it is the recovery phase that is the most challenging stage of this journey. I want to first state that I am very happy that I was able to have this procedure done with this doctor. Above all, Dr. Mahboubian is an outstanding surgeon. The major complications associated with lengthening the tibias (compartment syndrome, chronic knee pain, non-union, etc.) were completely averted. When I did experience a complication (pre-consolidation), the problem was promptly addressed with skill and expertise. This is a complex and risky surgery. I feel very fortunate that I made it through two rounds without permanently damaging my body. At present, my main challenge is ballerina foot. Because of my strong bone growth, it was necessary to lengthen 1 mm per day throughout most of the lengthening phase or risk my bones fusing. I don't believe that this will be a problem for most patients. When it comes to tibia lengthening, I believe that slow bone growth is ideal. It allows for a slower distraction rate which, in turn, allows the soft tissues more time to adapt to longer bones. I know now that my ballerina foot was caused by my rapid distraction rate, but I really had no choice in the matter. It is still too early to tell whether tendon release will be necessary. I have been reading Sweden's diary, and his experience with ballerina foot closely resembles my own. I am encouraged by his eventual recovery and am trying to follow his method. I hope that I will be able to achieve a similar result. I am able to bring my heels down to the floor while wearing shoes. It is much more difficult to do barefoot ... but possible. Although my tendons loosen up after stretching and walking for several minutes, each morning is like starting all over again. I bought some walking splints that I hope will improve my flexibility. I plan to wear them while I sleep and during the day under my clothes when I go out. I won't be returning to work as early as I thought. I'm going to need a lot more time. I feel very lucky to have a place to stay for the rest of this year while I slowly get back to normal. My advice to future patients is to lengthen as slowly as possible and to stick to a reasonable goal (somewhere between 5 and 6 cm). Avoiding ballerina foot will make your recovery much smoother and faster.
iamready
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2016, 07:11:37 AM »

Don't worry. I had ballerina for a month after my lengthening but I went to PT 3 times a week after my surgery and by 2 months it was completely gone.  Just make sure you attack it now.  Stand up, put pressure on it, go to a physical therapist and have them stretch the ankle.  Now is the time.
iamready
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2016, 05:54:30 PM »

I meant to say 2 months after my last lengthening.
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2016, 04:50:52 PM »

Don't worry. I had ballerina for a month after my lengthening but I went to PT 3 times a week after my surgery and by 2 months it was completely gone.  Just make sure you attack it now.  Stand up, put pressure on it, go to a physical therapist and have them stretch the ankle.  Now is the time.

Update: My ballerina foot is disappearing on my right foot and is beginning to slowly improve on my left. I haven't had any physical therapy yet. My exercise routine is simple. Each day I try to walk and stand against a wall for a longer period than the day before. It's often painful, but in a good way. I can feel my muscles and tendons slowly adapting. I was able to walk around my apartment complex yesterday (still using a walker). It was nice to be out in the fresh air and sunshine again. When I got back to my place, I was completely drained, and collapsed on the bed for a few minutes. This is going to take a while, but I should be fine by the end of this year.

I want to clarify some things about the timetable for recovery. When I lengthened my FEMURS with an internal nail, the process took about three months. I was operated on September 27th, 2010 and finished lengthening on December 6th. I gained slightly over 7 cm (including a significant initial distraction performed during the first surgery) and then took the rest of the month of December to recover. I flew home (unaided/without a walker or crutches) the first week of January 2011 and returned to work and school around January 15th. I could walk for hours without becoming fatigued, but it took several months to restore a completely normal gait. The timetable for TIBIAS will be somewhat different. I was operated on May 19th, 2016 and I finished lengthening on September 2nd, 2016. I gained around 6.4 cm. My regeneration was strong, so no stem cell injections were performed to speed up the healing process. At present, I am still dependent on a walker or crutches to get around, and I can only walk short distances without becoming exhausted. I don't see myself walking unaided before the end of next month. Simply put, recovering from tibia lengthening will take me about twice as long as my femur recovery did. As a general rule, double your femur recovery time to gauge how long your tibias will take. 
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2016, 06:19:51 AM »

Update:

Started driving again. Soft tissues are starting to ease up, but are still very tight. I feel more relaxed now ... things will get back to normal in a few months. I took a ride to buy some new pants. I'm 29W 34L now! Finally! My inseam is significantly longer than my waistline! I've measured my height before bed a few times now and it consistently comes out at exactly 5'9''. I won't be 6' tall in this lifetime, but from where I started out ... this is some kind of miracle.  Wink
El Pili Pili
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2016, 09:24:03 PM »

Update:

Started driving again. Soft tissues are starting to ease up, but are still very tight. I feel more relaxed now ... things will get back to normal in a few months. I took a ride to buy some new pants. I'm 29W 34L now! Finally! My inseam is significantly longer than my waistline! I've measured my height before bed a few times now and it consistently comes out at exactly 5'9''. I won't be 6' tall in this lifetime, but from where I started out ... this is some kind of miracle.  Wink

Woaw congratz on your journey dude!

You went from so far away and worked hard for it, you rock! Cool

Height : 171cm (at night)
Target : 177cm
Method : LON in India or Beijing : depending on the amount of money saved until 2017!
Yardbird
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2016, 01:11:53 PM »

Update:

After a lot of activity over the weekend, I'm in pain again today. Still suffering from ballerina foot in the morning and my mobility is limited. I can only walk short distances without pain. That's the way it goes ... two steps forward, one step back. There is definite progress overall. I want to reiterate something that Jay7 (who I had the pleasure of knowing) mentioned in his diary. Generally speaking, the taller you are to begin with, the more you can lengthen without looking disproportionate or pushing your soft tissues to the limit. In other words, those who need a big height gain the most (the shortest among us), may have the most difficult time getting it. If you are starting out at a very short height, work on your soft tissue flexibility as much as possible before you have this surgery ... particularly if you have a large gain in mind.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.