MMT Community
November 19, 2017, 01:16:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Words of wisdom from SysOp:
"Height is like money. It is insignificant only to those who have plenty of it." Tongue

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr.LON journey wit  (Read 7116 times)
Ssteiner
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2016, 06:28:43 PM »

Those are sobering words Dr. LON, and I agree with nearly all of what you are saying. Most people should not do elective leg lengthening. Most people underestimate the pain, difficulty, and impact on the body no matter how much research they do. External fixators are not the best way to do leg lengthening for a variety of reasons, but some people feel that they have no other option. Any person who chooses to be a limb lengthening patient needs to accept the possibility that there could be some long term impact on their legs from the surgery or they should not do it.

With all of that being said, I believe that you still have a lot of healing to do. You are very early in the healing process. You will walk much better than you do now when your soft tissues strengthen and recover. It will take a lot longer than you had hoped or anticipated, but it will happen. I do know how you feel right now because I have been there too. It took me much longer to recover after my lengthening than I thought it would. It is frustrating to finish lengthening, get back to walking, and to still have your legs feel like jelly. People often forget that the recovery after lengthening takes 2-3 times as long as the lengthening does. Waiting on your body to heal to the point that your legs feel  like they are yours again is one of the hardest parts of the battle. The more work you put into your recovery the faster it will be and the better it will be.

We all look forward to seeing a new video of you 3-6 months from now and then 3-6 months after that. At some point, if your doctor did a good job, you will nearly forget that you ever had this surgery and went through this experience.

I agree

I for example have had height neurosis for 2/3 of my life it fking sucks but this procedure in external frames would test the patience of a saint. Only good thing is my bone growth is superb and I hope to be out of these things relatively soon. The atrophy to the body is scary and mentally it's exhausting

I strongly advise anyone thinking of doing this to really think hard about it. There is far too much shi* written about this procedure online and not enough facts about the physical changes doing too much lengthening does i.e. The loss of ankle mobility if you do tibias! I'm actually very angry with the people on some of these boards for not bringing it to people attentions more and angry at the greedy doctors who do not tell this to potential patients it's utterly immoral IMO!
Ssteiner
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2016, 06:41:58 PM »

Hi Dr Lon,

Looking at your video, it looks great for the time that has only passed (Like TrueSpartan said).

To be honest, if you really think you'll be healed up in less than a year you are deluded.

This cosmetic surgery will take time before you'll be healed up 100%.

I have been looking at a lot of diaries and there is nobody here that has healed up to 100% in less than a year or 2 beside Apothesis, but he is a legend.

@Steiner,

I'm very sorry for your loss but I really think you should have considered the risk before you engaged the surgery.
It's a lot of time and money waste for the small lengthening you did.

I hope everything will turn alright for you, a lot of people heal from their *ballerina foot* after a long period of training.

I am no expert on LL, but these are my humble opinion!

Hi arch where did you do your lengthening?

Yes people can get their ballerina feet down eventually but if you have literally zero degrees of dorsiflexion then walking and running properly again is physically impossible

I considered the risks of this surgery for years and put this off for over a decade so believe me I had done my research but nowhere on these forums are these issues really discussed and anytime stuff like this is discussed it's usually brushed aside by idiots who want to discuss shi* like proportions.

TBH Sysop the ankle mobility and equinus feet should really be added to the faqs on this site

Other things that should be added are the risks of Im nailing of tibias which from the doctor I spoke to he said it was nothing like 70% chance it was more like 5-10%. The risks to the knees and pelvis from excessive femur lengthening and the potential problems it can cause with people's backs. This stuff is far more critically important than 'your proportions may be affected'
Dr.LON
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2016, 08:10:06 PM »

Hey Dr. LON,

Thank you for posting the video. Judging from the video alone your recovery looks superb. It's only been 6 months from the day of your surgery,  you lengthened 6.5cm and your already walking without support.  I think your recovery will be great. It just needs more time.

Good luck and thanks for the updates

TrueSpartan

Thank you very much
Dr.LON
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2016, 08:14:51 PM »

Those are sobering words Dr. LON, and I agree with nearly all of what you are saying. Most people should not do elective leg lengthening. Most people underestimate the pain, difficulty, and impact on the body no matter how much research they do. External fixators are not the best way to do leg lengthening for a variety of reasons, but some people feel that they have no other option. Any person who chooses to be a limb lengthening patient needs to accept the possibility that there could be some long term impact on their legs from the surgery or they should not do it.

With all of that being said, I believe that you still have a lot of healing to do. You are very early in the healing process. You will walk much better than you do now when your soft tissues strengthen and recover. It will take a lot longer than you had hoped or anticipated, but it will happen. I do know how you feel right now because I have been there too. It took me much longer to recover after my lengthening than I thought it would. It is frustrating to finish lengthening, get back to walking, and to still have your legs feel like jelly. People often forget that the recovery after lengthening takes 2-3 times as long as the lengthening does. Waiting on your body to heal to the point that your legs feel  like they are yours again is one of the hardest parts of the battle. The more work you put into your recovery the faster it will be and the better it will be.

We all look forward to seeing a new video of you 3-6 months from now and then 3-6 months after that. At some point, if your doctor did a good job, you will nearly forget that you ever had this surgery and went through this experience.

First of all thank you for your effort in managing this forum and for all the informtion mentioned in this forum

To be honest with you I highly recommend you to revise the FAQ and to add a section discussing the ankle mobility and the imapct of tibial lengthening on the flexibility

I promise you to post videos and xrays as much as I can starting from now

Thank you
Dr.LON
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2016, 08:17:28 PM »

Hi Dr Lon,

Looking at your video, it looks great for the time that has only passed (Like TrueSpartan said).

To be honest, if you really think you'll be healed up in less than a year you are deluded.

This cosmetic surgery will take time before you'll be healed up 100%.

I have been looking at a lot of diaries and there is nobody here that has healed up to 100% in less than a year or 2 beside Apothesis, but he is a legend.

@Steiner,

I'm very sorry for your loss but I really think you should have considered the risk before you engaged the surgery.
It's a lot of time and money waste for the small lengthening you did.

I hope everything will turn alright for you, a lot of people heal from their *ballerina foot* after a long period of training.

I am no expert on LL, but these are my humble opinion!

First of all thank you
I knew from the very begining that the LL is a time-consuming procedure but I jusr want to clarify that a lot of hidden complications were never mentioned by the members and the doctors so I highly recommend to discuss them and to go with internals rather than externals
Ssteiner
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2016, 11:30:27 PM »

First of all thank you
I knew from the very begining that the LL is a time-consuming procedure but I jusr want to clarify that a lot of hidden complications were never mentioned by the members and the doctors so I highly recommend to discuss them and to go with internals rather than externals

I second this

The only benefit the externals have is avoiding having a nail put through your knee but from what I'm now told the permanent knee pain is a lot less common than what's written online

Do externals if you are a sadomasochist other than that avoid like the plague

I wish you a speedy recovery Dr Lon and hope the height is enjoyable
El Pili Pili
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2016, 10:49:27 AM »

Do externals if you are a sadomasochist other than that avoid like the plague

Yeah or also if you don't have the money to go for internal?

Also, I plan on doing only 5cm.

From your experience, do you think it is a safe target?

I'm not an athlete, I'm an IT guy so I can afford to loose some of my abilities as long as I can do casual sport again later on.

Height : 171cm (at night)
Target : 177cm
Method : LON in India or Beijing : depending on the amount of money saved until 2017!
Ssteiner
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2016, 01:56:25 PM »

I'm not an athlete, I'm an IT guy so I can afford to loose some of my abilities as long as I can do casual sport again later on.

IMO 5cms on tibias is the threshold of safety. You will lose a fair whack of your athletic abilities doing this amount as you will likely have little to no ankle movement left once done.

I'd advise you not to get this done full stop and just try to get on with your life. You won't do anything more painful in your life if you do this. Externals are the epitome of discomfort
ktala91641
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2016, 06:19:33 PM »

Hello Dr.LON,

How are you doing bro ? Are u able to walk with out crutches now ? And can u stand up from bed with out needing any assistance ? Do you experience stiffness/more ballerina in the mornings ?

I crossed 2 months after frame removal. I still have 3-4 CM ballerina in my Right leg. After standing for few min, it will reduce to 3 CM. I am walking with crutches daily. In the mornings, I see more stiffness.
El Pili Pili
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2016, 07:59:36 PM »

IMO 5cms on tibias is the threshold of safety. You will lose a fair whack of your athletic abilities doing this amount as you will likely have little to no ankle movement left once done.

I'd advise you not to get this done full stop and just try to get on with your life. You won't do anything more painful in your life if you do this. Externals are the epitome of discomfort

And with internal I would loose less ankle movement or it is just more confortable?

The problem with internal is that it is almost 3 * the price of external!

Also don't you think you'll regain ankle movement as time goes on?

Method : LON in India or Beijing : depending on the amount of money saved until 2017!
Truespartan
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2016, 08:11:33 PM »

Hello Dr.LON,

How are you doing bro ? Are u able to walk with out crutches now ? And can u stand up from bed with out needing any assistance ? Do you experience stiffness/more ballerina in the mornings ?

I crossed 2 months after frame removal. I still have 3-4 CM ballerina in my Right leg. After standing for few min, it will reduce to 3 CM. I am walking with crutches daily. In the mornings, I see more stiffness.

Hey ktala, Dr. Lon posted a video above. He is walking without support. Read previous posts to watch his video.

Ssteiner
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 10:41:03 PM »

And with internal I would loose less ankle movement or it is just more confortable?

The problem with internal is that it is almost 3 * the price of external!

Also don't you think you'll regain ankle movement as time goes on?

You will lose ankle movement regardless of the method used

I'm fairly certain once these damn frames come off and my bones are fully consolidated my muscles will ease off somewhat and il restore some of the lost ankle mobility but not all of it
ktala91641
MMT Member

Credibility 2

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2016, 11:28:20 PM »

Hey ktala, Dr. Lon posted a video above. He is walking without support. Read previous posts to watch his video.

Thanks Trusespartan. Dr.LON is doing really great. I wish I would be like that after 1 month. I completed 2 months after frame removal now.

Thank you
Dr.LON
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2016, 01:16:54 AM »

I read in your discription that your height is 171 cm which is pretty good , whatever the avg. height in your country is ,your height is still good , believe me i don't think that 6cm in your case worth all the pain and sorrow you will be involved in during the lengthening journey

About internals , it's much more better especially when talking about the immobility and the bulky frames , but it's not worth

Listen to my advice , this money you have been saving for such surgery will never bring you the joy you imagine , spend this money in another better way !

At the end of the day it's up to you but it's my social responsibility to give you this piece of advice
Dr.LON
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2016, 01:20:37 AM »

Hello Dr.LON,

Hello bro
First of all I want to tell you that your diary was so informative and inspiring , hope that your recovery will be quick and pain-free

I'm walking unassissted these days but with noticable limbing due to the bad dorsiflexion i have
It took me about 10 physical therapy sessions to learn how to get of bed unassissted
Stiffness especially the early morning one is the thing that we have to deal with throughout the whole life due to LL surgery
El Pili Pili
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »

I read in your discription that your height is 171 cm which is pretty good , whatever the avg. height in your country is ,your height is still good , believe me i don't think that 6cm in your case worth all the pain and sorrow you will be involved in during the lengthening journey

About internals , it's much more better especially when talking about the immobility and the bulky frames , but it's not worth

Listen to my advice , this money you have been saving for such surgery will never bring you the joy you imagine , spend this money in another better way !

At the end of the day it's up to you but it's my social responsibility to give you this piece of advice

Well thanks for your advice, but you know, I have height neurosis and I'm thinking about my height all day, always comparing to other etc.

Reason is simple, I'm 5.7 since 15 year old and my brother is 5.7 since his 13 and he continued to grew until 6.1.
Now I'm 24 and still, everytime we go out or we visit family people always think he is the older brother.

Now that I know I could eventually fix it, it's a little better but I still think about it everyday.

The average in my country is 2 inch taller than me (around 176 cm), so I'm always in the smaller group in the room and at work it's a nightmare every man is 5.10 to 6.3 and ofc most of the manager are 6.1-3 and they seems to do nothing at work, like they got hired based on their height LOL.

When i stand near them I can see their shoulders, so it's harder to get respect for me than for these guys.

You know I manage to do pretty good in my life, I have an IT engineer degree, some money, good health, girls(even if it's hard on this one since I'm 5.7 and NO this is not in my head).

But I know all these aspects of my life would be ten times better if I was 2 inch taller,
I could go ahead and stop thinking about my height 50% of the time and start to focus 100% on my objectives so that's why I want to do it!

Ssteiner
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2016, 12:08:39 PM »

Hello bro
First of all I want to tell you that your diary was so informative and inspiring , hope that your recovery will be quick and pain-free

I'm walking unassissted these days but with noticable limbing due to the bad dorsiflexion i have
It took me about 10 physical therapy sessions to learn how to get of bed unassissted
Stiffness especially the early morning one is the thing that we have to deal with throughout the whole life due to LL surgery

Did you consolidate in frames or did you get a rod inserted dr Lon?

Do you have ballerina feet at all?
Dr.LON
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2016, 12:25:50 PM »

Did you consolidate in frames or did you get a rod inserted dr Lon?

Do you have ballerina feet at all?

I got 2 rods and 12 screws inserted (one rod and 6 screws for each leg)
If i want to consolidate in frames it would take me about 12 months in the frames to fully conoslidate
Ssteiner
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2016, 02:08:18 PM »

I got 2 rods and 12 screws inserted (one rod and 6 screws for each leg)
If i want to consolidate in frames it would take me about 12 months in the frames to fully conoslidate

How are your knees feeling with the inserted rods?

12 months would be a long long time in frames I'm consolidating in frames but luckily my bones are consolidating very fast. I'm hoping il have these things off in a few weeks or so.
Truespartan
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2017, 10:50:11 PM »

Hello Dr. Lon,

It's been a month since you posted your last waking video and your update.

How are you feeling now? Is there any significant improvement?

Thanks
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.