MMT Community
June 22, 2018, 02:54:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the new photos in the Proportions section, which include photos and videos of a lady who lengthened by a full 12cm walking and stretching, and a guy who did 8.8cm taking his first steps! Shocked Click Here!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Optimistic1 - Internal Tibias / Internal Femur - Dr. Mahboubian - 2018 - Double!  (Read 2498 times)
Optimistic1
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« on: February 14, 2018, 12:42:48 AM »

I'm about to start my LL procedure with Dr.  M.  I will be doing both Tib/Fib & Femurs together with 1 month apart and I want to share my experience with everyone.  Dr.  M has done a couple of these procedures at the same time.  

Optimistic1
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:12:01 PM »

I'm about to start my LL procedure with Dr.  M.  I will be doing both Tib/Fib & Femurs together with 1 month apart and I want to share my experience with everyone.  Dr.  M has done a couple of these procedures at the same time.  

Optimistic1

Optimistic1 ,

I've started a new thread for you. Doing both sections at the same time will be difficult. We would love to hear your story. Thanks.
Optimistic1
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:57:34 AM »

Thanks Sysop for creating this new thread for me to share my experience with other LLs and potential LLs.  You're correct about the extreme difficulty of doing both procedures at the same time.  I spoke to Dr.  M about this and he gave me an "okay" to proceed.  I'm going in for the surgery this week and will update everyone soon.  Please ask if you guys have any questions. 
Joe2000
Certified Member
MMT Member

Credibility -1

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 05:43:49 AM »

hey man

can you provide us with your height , sitting height and wingspan? thanks and good luck.
Optimistic1
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 01:21:02 PM »

“hey man

can you provide us with your height , sitting height and wingspan? thanks and good luck. ”

Hi Joe,

I’m between 5’5 and 5’5. 5.  I don’t know my sitting height but I think it’s either average for my height or just a little bit shorter.  Having a flat a** doesn’t help.  Lol.   My wingspan is between 5’7 and 5’7. 5.  Thank you. 
Optimistic1
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 05:35:40 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to share my experience with potential LLs and some helpful tips for those who are going to take part in this adventure.

2.15.18 at 5:30 am, I checked in at the Providence St. Joseph Medical Center. They took me to the first room to get prepared then to the operation room. I woke up at around 1:30 p.m. feeling a lot of pain in my left leg. They gave me 2 pain shots and the problem was resolved. I felt good that day and pain wasn't an issue because I was coming out of anesthesia.  I even felt great and was excited too early. Dr. M came in that evening to tell me the operation went well on my right leg but my bone is soft on my left leg but nothing major. I don't remember the exact terminology he used. He fixed it and it will actually heal faster than the right leg. I felt so good that Dr. M was going to release me one day early.

2.16.18: This day was bad and they put me on morphine but to me pain and suffering is subjective. The nurses felt so bad for me. To me, it wasn't so much about the pain. It's about my inability to pee and had to keep going to the bathroom the entire night but can't pee. I feel bad for the nurses because I kept on pressing the button that night. I'd sit in the bathroom for as long as 60 minutes trying to pee. I had the urges to go but as soon as I sat down, it was hopeless. At some point, I felt my bladder was going to explode. Ask Dr. M if he can put you on dilaudid instead of morphine as morphine can decrease your ability to pee normally. That night, the nurse had to stick the catheter pipe right into my **** and it felt so weird when a girl is doing that while you're awake. She kindly asked if it was okay to do that and I said "at this point, nothing matters anymore, lol." The pee came out and filled up one and a half bag (that's a lot).
I was icing both legs nonstop. My nurse (favorite one) and I came up with an amazing system and Dr. M was amazed when she saw it. Lol.

2.17.18: I decided to stay for another day as I was previously scheduled for. This day was great. I didn't feel much pain and by 9:00 am I was very okay. I think because I was able to get some sleep the night before. I was able to pee and had some bowl movement. You'd find this weird what I'm about to tell you how I was able to pee but whatever you can do to make it work, do it. Lol. Like I said earlier, nothing matters at that time. So I was sitting on the toilet and place both of my hands on the toilet seat and moved my body up and down. That created the urges to pee. The other method I did was leaning forward and rest my hands and shoulders on the walker. The last method is using my middle finger and push it against the part right above my****. Do that gently and keep doing it. If one of these methods works, then just use that method. I hope I don't gross you guys out.

I was put on dilaudid and only needed 2 shots. I was on only Norco from that point on. I was released on February 17 at 2:30 pm. Before I left, I asked for a shot of dilaudid to deal with the possible trauma of transportation. I used Affinity and the van has a ram to roll my wheel chair up and into the van. It's only $55.00 for one way. It's worth it.
I arrived at the hotel around 2:50 pm and my private nurses were already there waiting for me (you don't need this service if have someone to help you. I, personally, don't like to bother anyone). I gave one nurse a grocery list to buy and the other one started to help me bathing and shaving, etc... I'm feeling fine now with very little pain. I didn't feel I needed my Norco but took it anyways.

Tips:
1. Bring anything that you normally need to the hospital because the supplies at the hospital are just the basic.
2. Ask Dr. M if you could be put on dilaudid instead of morphine but I think each person reacts differently to pain medication. For me, I was having diarrhea instead of constipation like most people do.
3. Just relax as it will get better every day. The second day (the day after the surgery) is the worst but you'll likely get much better on the third day.

I'll be seeing Dr. M early next week for my post-op instead of after 1 week because he won't be available at that time. I have one concern because it looks like both of my legs are curved in like I'm having bow legs. I'll ask him when I see him early next week. Maybe it's just because my legs are swollen and the way the bandages are wrapped around them.

So far so good and I will start lengthening next Friday, February 23, 2018. I'm aiming for 8 cm but Dr. M said 6.5 cm is a more realistic goal for the tib/fib. He also said just wait and see how it goes. Complications are inevitable with these surgeries so I'm going to follow Dr. M's instructions religiously and hope for the best. I might have had a good start but there's no guarantee it's going to stay that way throughout the entire lengthening process. I am prepared for the worst, but hope for the best. I will update everyone with any changes.

SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 02:57:12 PM »

It's very impressive that you are lengthening back to back like this. How long do you anticipate you will be in a wheelchair? What are your ongoing plans for physio? Thanks.
Optimistic1
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 11:26:51 PM »

"It's very impressive that you are lengthening back to back like this. How long do you anticipate you will be in a wheelchair? What are your ongoing plans for physio? Thanks."

Hi Sysop,

Thank you for checking in. I've already scheduled my bilateral femur operation with Dr. M next month (exactly one month from this surgery) but let see if I can follow through with it. So far, I'm recovering pretty good. I understand it's going to be tough but I can't afford any downtime. I read stories from other LLs who experienced complications that are far worst. Some can't even get out of his/her bed. My pain and physical limitations are only temporary. I consider these procedures a luxury because not everyone can afford them. Therefore, I go through each day with pride knowing my money is well spent. It's not just the surgeon cost, hospital fee, and other fees, it's also the inability to fully integrate back into one's work and social life completely for a long time. That's a sacrifice anyone who wants to be taller must make.

Dr. M said if there's no complication, I should be able to complete lengthening both sections (Tib/Fib and Femurs) in 4 months then go into the consolidation phase by mid June of this year. I've planned to be in a wheelchair for the next 6-8 months or even longer. For the last 3 years, I've been trying to build my business to the point where it can sustain on its owns and all my employees can function at about 65-70% success without me. I'm going back home next week and will have my nurses taking care of me at home for couple more days and start PT right away. I live by myself and don't want to bother anyone. To be honest, I do a better job at taking care of myself than the nurses.

A little background about me and my immediate family: My dad is around 6 feet tall (this is tall as the average male height for his ethic group is 5'4 or 5'5) but my mom is only 4'9 or 4'10 and she's considered a few inches short for her female ethnic group. My brother is 5'10 and both of my sisters are 5'3. I'm between 5'5 and 5'5.5. I gave up on sports because I stopped growing taller after my last year of junior high, I was 13-14 at the time. I grew really fast before that and everyone thought I'd grow up to be taller than my dad. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. ;(

I started researching this magical procedure(s) during my first year of grad school and that was 11 years ago. I was 22 years old at the time. I'm very happy that I can finally pursue my dream of being taller. God is fair. You'll be given either a good physical appearance or the brain. I think he gave me the brain. Lol. I can now enhance my physical appearance and still keep my brain. Lol. I don't think I'd work extra hard to be where I'm today if I was 6 feet tall growing up. Lol.

Today is my fourth (4th) day since the surgery date of 2.15.18. I feel better today than I did yesterday. I can perform most ADL by myself including icing and putting pillows underneath my feet to elevate them. No noticeable problems so far but I'll keep everyone posted.

I just have one question. Dr. M didn't let me know at discharge when I can remove the bandages. When I look down on both of my legs, it looks like I have bowl legs. Did any of you have this problems when you were doing your internal Tib/Fib? I think it might be the swelling and the way the bandages are wrapped around my Tib/Fib that give the appearance of bowl legs.
SysOp
Forum Admin / Moderator
Administrator
MMT Expert

Credibility 712

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 03:56:24 PM »

I just have one question. Dr. M didn't let me know at discharge when I can remove the bandages. When I look down on both of my legs, it looks like I have bowl legs. Did any of you have this problems when you were doing your internal Tib/Fib? I think it might be the swelling and the way the bandages are wrapped around my Tib/Fib that give the appearance of bowl legs.

It's most likely the bandages, as they add extra padding at the incision spots. But do not assume anything. Always ask your doctor. Be annoying and ask until you have peace of mind that you have gotten the full answer. Dr. M is a good doctor, but he is busy and if you missed anything that he said, ask him again.

Bandages generally get removed at 7-10 days post surgery, but you should ask him and make sure everything is clear so you have peace of mind.
Optimistic1
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 08:17:19 PM »

5th (fifth) day since the surgery (2.15.18)  and I'm getting better every day. It's amazing how you can witness your body recovering and improving everyday from such a major operation. I'm down to only 1 Norco every5- 6 hours now. Pain is manageable. I can raise both my legs up without using my hand. My left leg is slower and weaker than my right leg. The left leg is the one with soft bone that Dr. M discussed with me after the operation. I don't experience the sharp shooting pain in my left ankle every time I move it anymore. I slept for 9 hours last night (2 hours +3 hours + 4 hours because I woke up in between to use the restroom). When I woke up at 7:00 am, I felt very good and didn't feel any pain at all. I felt I could reconnect with all of my nerves in my legs and no more drowsiness feeling from the pain meds.

I became excited too early so I went back to sleep for another 2 hours. When I work up at 9:00 am, I started feeling the pain in both legs as the last time I took one (1) Norco was over 5 hours ago.

There's nothing exciting today. I just took my meds, ate, washed myself, brushed my teeth and used the restroom. I'm doing all these things on my own the nurses are just on standby. Getting in and out of bed is much easier now that I can raise my legs up. I will try to get some ice on my own instead of using room service. I think I'm going to tell my nurses that their service is completed.

I have my first post-op appointment with Dr. M tomorrow and that's going to be the 6th day since the surgery. I hope everything is fine so I can start lengthening this Friday. I emailed his office to ask for instructions on how to stretch without interfering with the healing process at the wound sites but they told me to ask him tomorrow. I know he's going to stretch me and it's going to hurt like hell so I just want to stretch before. If you guys have any advice, please let me know.

"But do not assume anything. Always ask your doctor. Be annoying and ask until you have peace of mind that you have gotten the full answer."

Sysop,

Thank you for your advice. I've been asking him a lot of questions. You're correct. To me, it's better to be an annoying patient than having to deal with life-times issues. Can you give me some advice on stretching while the bandages are still on, if you know? Thank you.
Joe2000
Certified Member
MMT Member

Credibility -1

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 10:32:54 PM »

can you use walker or maybe you need to use a wheelchair ?
Optimistic1
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 03:37:35 AM »

"can you use walker or maybe you need to use a wheelchair ?"

Joe2000,

I've been using my walker and wheelchair. It's getting better every day because the pain is more manageable now.
LAGrowin
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 05:57:33 AM »

"can you use walker or maybe you need to use a wheelchair ?"

Joe2000,

I've been using my walker and wheelchair. It's getting better every day because the pain is more manageable now.

Congratulations on your surgery Optimistic1!  Happy for you.  I too had surgery with Dr. M on 1/18/18, and yes things get better day by day. Lucky you on being able to use the toilet while still at the hospital. I guess that is one of the differences between tibias and femurs.

Wish you the best with your journey and recovery!

Keep us posted.
Optimistic1
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 03:54:56 PM »

“Congratulations on your surgery Optimistic1!  Happy for you.  I too had surgery with Dr. M on 1/18/18, and yes things get better day by day. Lucky you on being able to use the toilet while still at the hospital. I guess that is one of the differences between tibias and femurs.

Wish you the best with your journey and recovery!

Keep us posted.”

Hi LAGrowin,

Thank you and I wish you the same. I read your journal on the other forum. It’s very good and thank you again for sharing with us your experience. From reading your journal, I can tell you really took the time to put everything together in a concise manner so everyone can follow it better. Keep up the good work and ignore the negative comments from some people. They are irrelevant. I’m heading back home today and come back next month for the operation on my femurs. Hopefully, I’d be ready by then.

Optimistic1
LAGrowin
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 10:37:49 PM »

Thank you Optimistic1.  I have to say that the information found on this forum and the other have been absolutely invaluable for me and my journey.

Femurs2014's diary was my deciding factor in doing this.

All these best. Anything you need,  please reach out.
Joe2000
Certified Member
MMT Member

Credibility -1

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 12:51:57 AM »

hey man how things are going? have you got any muscle pain already? Anyway can you upload some xray? thanks
Optimistic1
LL Patient
MMT Member

Credibility 1

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 08:53:08 PM »

“hey man how things are going? have you got any muscle pain already? Anyway can you upload some xray? thanks“

Joe2000,

Thank you for checking in. Things are improving but I still have this constant ache pain. Whenever I put both feet onto that floor before transferring myself to a wheelchair or walker, I feel a very strong pressure in both legs and much stronger in my left leg, the weaker one. Of course, these are without pain meds. With pain meds, I’m fine. Now, I’m trying to get the PT to come to my house as it’s extremely difficult for me to leave my house. I live alone and I have stairs even on the first floors. Sorry for being so lazy in continuing with my journal. I’m so exhausted every day and I lost my appetite so I just want to lay in bed and do nothing. For more information, you can look at LAGrowin’s.  His journal is very good.

Dr. M said I can get my x-ray 3 weeks post surgery and that is March 1, 2018. I ask if I can take it every week and he said that’s unnecessary due to high level of radiation which is not good for bones and the Tib/fib bone takes a long time (at least 4 weeks) to show any sign of consolidation. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.