MMT Community
May 27, 2017, 03:39:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Support MMT Community
News: Tough love is the best love for people considering Leg Lengthening - the truth hurts, but it's important to be realistic Wink

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is your main motivation for leg lengthening?
To increase my confidence. - 204 (44.4%)
To improve my career prospects. - 33 (7.2%)
To make me more attractive to the opposite sex. - 119 (25.9%)
For medical / correction reasons. - 13 (2.8%)
To improve my physique or proportions. - 90 (19.6%)
Total Voters: 426

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are you considering LL?  (Read 53794 times)
Genaveive
MMT Member

Credibility 12

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 02:05:33 AM »

I will admit, i do feel pressured by the media to become this 5ft9 Anorexic model!
However, when i was 9 i was told i was perfect for a model, i was 156cm , skinny, blue eyed, dark blonde hair, and then my modeling agency  said when i was 13, i had to be a certain height when i was 18 to model, this really hit my confidence, and even though i dont want to become a model anymore, i still feel like i want to be at least 172cm.
Also in my family of people who are 180cm-185cm, i am the shortest by far! This also made me feel some what left out, also when i did my leg to arm span, and body to leg ratio, my legs were pretty much shorter than everything else.
I did however have some trauma when i was about 12 which could of stopped me growing according to my doctor, this made me in some way feel like i wanted to acheive my true height, but i refuse to have growth hormones (read the side effects and im not to impressed!).
Whats more depressing, is i measured my height in cm the other day, thinking i was possibly about 162, turns out im 158. :-(
Well thats my reasons, please dont slate me for these reasons as i have been honest and open about them.

Crazy... your post looks like it could have been written by me!!! I was approached for being a child model, but was not interested at the time. When I was older I was hung up on wanting to have a typical model look to perhaps persue it, but what I had missing was the height. Although LL could get me to a more ideal height, I am no longer interested in modelling, but am still interested in having that look.

When I was 12, I incurred damage that I believe led to my shorter stature. I don't know what you suffered from, but our situations sound similiar. And finally, I am the same height as you at 158 cm, with legs that aren't long enough for my torso or armspan. I had a late growth spurt, and I too thought I was around 162, and was disappointed to find my true height.
NPPLCHAMP05
Lurker

Credibility -7

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 05:47:29 AM »

i would hate to say it but i think my Torso is extreamly short? Sad
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 07:37:37 AM by NPPLCHAMP05 » Logged

no pain no gain. Arny!:)
kirstyq
Lurker

Credibility 3

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 08:03:42 AM »

i would hate to say it but i think my Torso is extreamly short? Sad

if your torso is short leg lengthening is the last thing you should be thinking about as it will make it look even shorter wont it?  Roll Eyes
GB01
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 01:36:22 PM »

I want to do this because i have an "Adonis complex" (men who are obsessed with their appearance). It's kind of odd since i'm fairly ugly  Grin

Similar to dreamgirl, i had been dreaming of a technology like this even before i knew it was available.

It's probably deep-rooted in my competitive drive, my need to be better in every way than the next guy. (Yes i have a psychologist and we're working on me  Wink )
NPPLCHAMP05
Lurker

Credibility -7

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 03:17:58 AM »

yea perportion doesnt mean that much to me though, ill take being taller then looking perportional.

no pain no gain. Arny!:)
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 08:12:15 AM »

I want to do this because i have an "Adonis complex" (men who are obsessed with their appearance). It's kind of odd since i'm fairly ugly  Grin

GB, one thing that you must bear in mind is that during the lengthening your muscles will atrophy significantly, and you will not be able to lift weights again for about 18 months after the operation.

You might get the height you want, but at the cost of losing your perfect physique for a long time!

Something to talk about during your consultation Wink

GB01
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 04:49:30 AM »

GB, one thing that you must bear in mind is that during the lengthening your muscles will atrophy significantly, and you will not be able to lift weights again for about 18 months after the operation.

Yes, i'm aware of this. We must also remember that as the muscle is forced to stretch with the other tissues, it will divide and grow new muscle cells (hyperplasia). Thus while i'm temporarily (yet reversibly) loosing muscle mass (ie, the existing muscle cells will lose some volume), the procedure in the end will give me more muscle cells to work with. Without getting too much into muscle jargon, more muscle cells means a longer muscle "belly" and much more potential total cell volume increase through hypertrophy (by weightlifting). While hypertrophy by weightlifting is easily accomplished, hyperplasia for the most part is not possible by natural means (ie, you need a procedure like this).
For those of you guys reading that still follow me, i just want to emphasize that it's not like youre taking your existing muscle and "stretching it thinner" across more bone. No, you will have more musle cells to work with, just as your skin will produce more skin cells. Even with extensive lengthening, my expectation is that, at the "end of the tunnel," i will be able to build up a muscularity to my legs that is greater than or equivalent to what i currently have, but just on a larger scale. So... dont fret that you guys will have to go around with "bean stalks" if you get extensive lengthening! Opposing views are welcomed!
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 12:18:45 PM »

Yes, i'm aware of this. We must also remember that as the muscle is forced to stretch with the other tissues, it will divide and grow new muscle cells (hyperplasia). Thus while i'm temporarily (yet reversibly) loosing muscle mass (ie, the existing muscle cells will lose some volume), the procedure in the end will give me more muscle cells to work with. Without getting too much into muscle jargon, more muscle cells means a longer muscle "belly" and much more potential total cell volume increase through hypertrophy (by weightlifting). While hypertrophy by weightlifting is easily accomplished, hyperplasia for the most part is not possible by natural means (ie, you need a procedure like this).

Hi GB. Alas, there are several studies that suggest when stretched past about 7.6cm, muscle looses its ability to regenerate muscles cells, permanently reducing the strength of that muscle.

Also, it's not the muscle you have to worry about - your bones might not consolidate for anything from 16 - 24 months, during which time you won't be able to lift weights because you'll be advised not to lift excessive loads.

This is definitely something for you to explore during your consultation Wink

joshgd4
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2006, 08:50:16 PM »

Why?

I only get one shot at this life.  My height bothers me, so it's my responsibility to change it. 

Similar, in my early 20's my economic position bothered me so I enrolled in a university to better myself and better my economic position.  I have since embarked on graduate studies to recieve my MBA, and I hold an excellent management position in a fortune 500 company.  Schooling was exhausting, and expensive, and I considered giving up on several occasions, but the end result has more than paid for itself in both economic position as well as improved my self confidence.

So why LL....  For Me! If I do not like something it's nobody's responsibilty to change it but mine.
GB01
MMT Member

Credibility 0

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2006, 10:41:34 PM »

I like your attitude!   Wink
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 02:11:43 AM »

I only get one shot at this life.  My height bothers me, so it's my responsibility to change it. 

Yes, I like your attitude too Smiley
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 08:14:22 AM by MMT Admin » Logged

cbick66
LL Hero
MMT Adviser

Credibility 514

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 03:46:22 PM »

Exactly. No point crying over it. Do what makes you happy

TIME IS YOUR FRIEND
Cheers to all the vets and future LL Troopers
dreamgirl
n00b

Credibility 3

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2006, 07:43:07 AM »

MMT Ad

That's a great post, Dreamgirl!

I can see that the motivation is a combination of confidence and practicality for you

Do you think that you will ever be able to do it?min

Thank you, MMT!!!  I don't know if I will ever be able to financially afford it.  But our situation is improving by leaps and bounds and we are considering opening up a franchise sometime this year.  So hopefully.....

Yes I am very motivated.  I have wanted to be taller since puberty.  I think I mentioned before that  I modelled as a child but was not accepted in Jr High because of my height and maybe because I just didn't try hard enough at the time after being rejected.  My mother was never supportive of me modelling once I started developing so that had a big impact on my lack of persistance.  I mean, if she's not going to let me do it, why worry about it?

Anyway, it was only later, after college, that I started to really entertain the fantasy of being taller, and then of course, me being a closet "inventor", I dreamt up a similar device to the Illizerov frame, before I ever knew it existed.  Undecided  Then when I saw Gattaca", I practically fell off my seat pointing and excitedly exclaiming to my husband that that was what I'd been thinking of!  Shocked  But even then, it was still only a fantasy.  I didn't know that this machine really existed outside of the dreamworld that is Hollywood, not until just about 2 or 3 years ago.

Well, as far as the finances go, I have begun to think that maybe if I could only afford to do one procedure, I should do the arms.  Because as I said, my wingspan is four inches shorter than my height and that is quite a bit!  My upper arms in particular are very short for my long torso.  I've noticed that even short people look taller if their limbs are proportional to their torso.  You can see this especially in regards to celebrities.  Because you see them in pictures and many times they are NOT full length pictures, it is difficult to judge their heights.  I have many times mistaken someones height and thought they were taller than they are because of their slim build or especially if they have long arms.  In a picture, if the subject has long arms and you don't see their legs, you assume they are tall. 

I have noticed that proportion is what really counts in beauty.  It is true of the face as cited by numerous studies and I think Leonardo Davinci's drawings proved long ago that proportion is key. 

One member posted that my desire to lengthen my arms basically bordered on body dismorphia.  I can see how they would think that if they did not know me and did not know the extent of research I have done on every type of LL procedure; its risks, its costs, its benefits and limitations.  But I have come to feel that this procedure has risks just as ANY surgery has, whether undergone for cosmetic or medical reasons.  If I wanted to have surgery on any area of my body for cosmetic reasons and it is acceptable, why is it not as acceptable or reasonable to want to undergo limb lengthening for reasons that go so much deeper than cosmetic?  LL can change lives in very dramatic ways, the least of which are cosmetic.  Longer arms for me would establish not only reasonable and attractive proportion to my body, but would ease many daily tasks that we take for granted.  But of course, as I have also always longed to be taller not only for social, psychological, and various other reasons, the lengthening of my arms would be a much less invasive and inconvenient procedure to increase the appearance of height without actually lengthening my legs.  Of course I woul dnot be taller, but I would look taller than I am, or rather I would not look as short as I appear now, because my arms would then be in correct and pleasing proportion to my long waisted and curvy torso.  When I am slimmer, my legs are rather sexy at their current length, and maybe I could live without LL on the legs if I just didn't look so short because of my short arms.  If just the proportions were corrected between my torso and arms, then I'm sure that would do much to lengthen my appearance without actually increasing my height.

But as many of us know, increasing our height is our main goal.  Most people do not have the problem with short arms like I do.  (And by the way, not only are they rather short even for my petite frame, my right upper arm is an inch shorter than my left to boot!) Undecided

But yes, I would still love to lengthen my calves and maybe my thighs if I can.  However, if I did my legs without lengthening my arms first, I'm thinking I would look quite weird, what with "terradactal arms" and long legs! Cheesy 

As far as complications go, the lengthening of the upper arms is the same procedure, yet actually much less difficult, I would think, seeing as how you don't have to suffer through wearing crutches and weeks of being virtually bedridden to have your arms lengthened.  I mean, with 2 small children at home, a brace on my arms is much less disruptive than having to hobble around and stay off my feet for weeks!  At least I wouldn't be totally incapacitated during the arm lengthening procedure.  And of course, recovery time is a less I believe, as the bones are smaller and do not have as much weight bearing requirements as the legs do.

Again, if I had my ultimate dream, I would lengthen my arms first by 2 inches to make them proportional, (would like my fingertips to brush about mid to just above mid thigh as many peoples arms do naturally).  Then my calves by 2-2.5 inches.  My thighs are low on the totem poll of wishes as the last effort to gain maybe another 1-1.5 inches.  I would be thrilled with height anywhere from 5ft 6 in to 5 ft 7.5 inches. (I am 5ft 3.5 inches now and my husband is 6ft 1in)  In regards to the height differance between me and my husband, being taller would be very nice just in regards to snuggling, dancing, kissing without the neck ache, etc.  These are the only "sexual" motivations that are at work in my mind.  Most of my reasons come from either practicality of everyday tasks and clothing fit or hemlines, etc; or just plain vanity and wanting to look taller and more elegant in clothing, because actually being petite is not a problem when you're naked (hee hee) Wink, just when you want to wear certain types of clothes and want them to look a certain way! Undecided

Well.... I got to go to bed.  Hopefully it won't be this long before I post again.  But I do read through the site often  even if I cannot post.  See ya'll!

(Hope that wasn't tooooo much info!  Tongue)
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2006, 08:59:14 AM »

Thank you, MMT!!!  I don't know if I will ever be able to financially afford it.  But our situation is improving by leaps and bounds and we are considering opening up a franchise sometime this year.  So hopefully.....

Well.... I got to go to bed.  Hopefully it won't be this long before I post again.  But I do read through the site often  even if I cannot post.  See ya'll!

(Hope that wasn't tooooo much info!  Tongue)

Hi Dreamgirl!

Whatever happens, it's clear that you have thought about this subject deeply and even done your sums, so I hope that you get a chance to achieve your dreams.

I think that limb lenghtening will become more acceptable to the general public in the future, and that people will not be shocked by the desire to change the length of one's limbs.

I've realised since embarking on my own personal adventure that whilst it is easy to judge other people's motivations and desires, the reality of life is that we are, in the main, free to make our own decisions that being able to act on our wishes is empowering and delivers significant comfort.

I wish you luck, and hope that if you decide to go ahead that you will share your experiences with us here! Smiley

stubby2
Lurker

Credibility 0

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2007, 07:25:09 PM »

I am 5'2", almost 5'3". I'm really not dissatisfied with my height. My whole family is short, so I've come to accept it. My proportions are really what bother me. I do a lot of hiking and camping, and I went to get fitted for a pack a few months ago. The person doing the fitting said he'd never seen someone as short as me with as long of a torso. My torso is 16.5" (my husband's torso is 18" and he's 6'2"). I was so embarrassed. I feel like that's all I can see now when I look in the mirror. I feel like I look ridiculous. I've always been pretty comfortable with my physical appearance; I'm very fit and I have a nice figure. But the disparity between the length of my torso and the length of my legs is weighing on me heavily now. I have a friend who is just about the same height as me, but her hips are at my ribs when we stand side by side. My husband thinks my desire to lengthen my legs is unreasonable. He said he wouldn't have been attracted to me if I weren't petite. I don't mind being petite, but I don't want to be stubby! I doubt that I could undergo a torso shortening, so the obvious alternative is a leg lengthening. I'm just afraid that I would have to be 5'10" or something to make my legs match my torso! If I could have exactly what I want, I wouldn't be taller than 5'6" or 5'7".
I just started law school, and the prospect of standing in front of a jury, arguing my case with my huge torso and stubby legs is very daunting. I've had a lot of people tell me that I would be a more effective lawyer if I were taller. But that still isn't my main concern. I don't suffer from dwarfism, but I feel like I look like a dwarf. I just want my body parts to match one another.
I have also run into a few other problems. I live in the U.S. so the chances of me finding a doctor who is willing to do the surgery are fairly slim. I want to do it here because I trust our healthcare standards. I want to do the internal lengthening system so I can get back to all my physical activities as soon as possible. I also won't have the money for it for quite a while. I will be in school for the next 4 years and my husband will be in school for the next 6 years (he's going pre-med, then Optometry school). If I'm almost 5'3", no insurance company will even consider helping me out. I was even told that I was too tall to qualify for most lengthening programs! I don't know if this is the correct area to ask, but what kinds of options does a 5'3" broke girl have in the U.S.?
MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 10:56:52 PM »

I don't know if this is the correct area to ask, but what kinds of options does a 5'3" broke girl have in the U.S.?

Hi S2,

Welcome to our community!

I understand your predicament, and have met several people with similar issues.

Alas, if you don't want to leave America, you'll probably have to take out a loan to have the operation there, but if you decide that you're happy to go overseas, many of the surgeons mentioned on our board (Dr. Mitkovic, Dr. Betz, Dr. Guichet and Dr. Li, for example) have experience of helping people with requirements similar to yours.

Check out the diary section to learn more about people's experiences with those different doctors.

Good luck!

MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 12:17:07 AM »

It's while since I checked on this poll, but it looks like increasing confidence is the main motivator for our members, which is no surprise.

I think that if your height is undermining your confidence, doing something about it will have a very positive effect on your life Smiley

Short Drink Of Water
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2007, 01:45:18 AM »

I care most about being more attractive to girls. When I'm wearing my concealed platforms or elevator shoes, I notice girls looking at me differently. If they have to look up, I think they like what they see better, no matter what it is.  Grin

But really these are all good reasons, and I'm certainly doing it for a combination of pretty much all of them.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 01:48:55 AM by Short Drink Of Water » Logged
174cm
LL Hero
MMT Adviser

Credibility 114

Read the FAQs before you POST or it is SPAM!

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2007, 03:13:14 PM »

my reason for doing LL:
1- I love long legs and tall girls. In my life up till now, I've missed so many taller girls that came to me but I was to concious abt my height to take the initiative, so i let all those chances passed away. I'm 27 now, and I think I must put and end to this no matter what because otherwise, I will never be happy in my life.
2- I'm an IT professional and I want to expand my career to sales/marketing. I believe that being at 173-175cm will make a big different in that career path.

MMTA
Former Site Admin
LL Legend
MMT Expert

Credibility 1036

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2007, 01:28:18 AM »

Well, the majority of our members are seeking greater confidence, which makes sense.

I am surprised that more people didn't put 'to be more attractive to the opposite sex' as I thought that was the primary motivator before doing this poll Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Make Me Taller! The world's number one elective leg lengthening site! Come here for information about LL, things to make you taller, how to get taller permanently, Ilizarov, Betzbone, Guichet Nail, PRECICE, height growth and other height related issues. This is the number one leg lengthening forum for height seekers and people trying to become taller. It was created and run by people who have actually done leg lengthening surgery (LL).

As a community site, MMT forum thrives on people's contributions, so please feel free to share your make me taller questions, videos, photos and experiences here in this leg lengthening forum. Make me taller is open to all, but please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before posting as this will answer nearly all of your questions about getting taller through surgery. Please read our leg lengthening diaries too! We hope that you find this forum useful. Cheers, SysOp.